Notice of Availability of Draft Policy Document for Comment
This is a Notice of Availability and request for comments on the draft policy document, ``Emergency Management Program Expectations,'' prepared by HRSA. This document is currently posted on the Internet at http://bphc.hrsa.gov. Comments will be reviewed and analyzed, and a summary and general response will be published as soon as possible after the deadline for receipt of comments.
HIV/AIDS Bureau Policy Notice 99-02; Correction
The Health Resources and Services Administration published a notice in the Federal Register of December 6, 2006, soliciting comments on a proposed amendment to Policy Notice 99-02 which places a cumulative lifetime period of 24 months on short-term and emergency housing assistance under Title XXVI of the Public Health Service Act, as amended by the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Modernization Act of 2006. The amendment also specifies a requirement that the need for such assistance must be certified or documented by a case manager, social worker, or other licensed health care professional(s). HRSA received over 150 substantive comments from consumers and numerous organizations around the country in response to the December 6, 2006, notice.
Poison Control Centers Stabilization and Enhancement Program
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) is seeking comments from the public on its plan to institute a permanent deviation from a policy in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Grants Policy Directive (GPD) 3.01 governing indirect cost recovery for one of its grant programs. The GPD states ``HHS considers activities conducted by grantees that result in indirect charges a necessary and appropriate part of HHS grants, and HHS awarding offices must reimburse their share of these costs.'' Although HRSA typically reimburses grantees for their full share of administrative overhead represented in approved indirect cost rates (which can be up to 50 percent), the agency believes, in the case of its Poison Control Program, that full recovery of overhead expenditures would be detrimental to the poison control centers (PCCs) funded under the program because of the financial instability of PCCs. The purpose of the HRSA Poison Control Centers Stabilization and Enhancement Grant Program is to assist PCCs in achieving financial stability, preventing poisonings and providing treatment recommendations for poisonings. Limiting indirect costs is necessary because many PCCs are located within institutions such as universities and hospitals that have established indirect cost rates in the range of 30 to 50 percent. It is in the best interest of PCCs to limit the indirect cost recovery to 10 percent, leaving 90 percent of the grant funds to achieve the objectives of the grant program. This limitation would be applicable to all awardees of the Poison Control Center Stabilization and Enhancement Grant Programs.
Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders and Genetic Diseases in Newborns and Children
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) is requesting nominations to fill eight (8) vacancies on the Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders and Genetic Diseases in Newborns and Children.