Wisconsin Administrative Code
(VA) - Department of Veterans Affairs
VA 17 - Military Funeral Honors Program
VA 17.05 - Eligibility, reimbursement and training and certification for providing military funeral honors
§ VA 17.05. Eligibility, reimbursement and training and certification for providing military funeral honors
(1) ELIGIBILITY. In order to receive reimbursement for providing military funeral honors, a veterans organization shall do all of the following:
(a) Complete and file with the department a Taxpayer Identification Number Verification Form.
(b) Submit a request for reimbursement on a form developed by the department, within 90 days of providing military funeral honors.
Note: Taxpayer identification number verification forms and stipend reimbursement forms may be obtained at no charge from the State of Wisconsin, Department of Veterans Affairs, 30 West Mifflin Street, PO Box 7843, Madison, Wisconsin 53707-7843 or by calling (877) 944-6667.
(a) Reimbursement to veterans organizations for providing military funeral honors shall be as follows:
1. If a single veterans organization provides basic honors, $25.
2. If a single veterans organization provides full honors, $50.
3. If 2 or more veterans organizations participate in providing full honors and one of the organizations provides a firing detail, $50. The organizations may request that the department split the reimbursement.
4. If 2 or more veterans organizations participate in providing basic honors, $25. Payment shall be to one veterans organization, as determined by the department.
(b) A veterans organization may not receive an honorarium or donation or request payment from the funeral home or the family for military funeral honors for which reimbursement is sought under this section.
(c) Notwithstanding par. (a) the department may not reimburse a veterans organization if federal funding is available to reimburse the veterans organization for providing military funeral honors. The veterans organization shall request reimbursement from federal sources. If a veterans organization receives federal funding for providing military funeral honors at one funeral in a day, the department may reimburse the organization for the provision of military funeral honors at any additional funerals on that day.
Note: Information regarding federal funding sources for military funeral honors may be obtained by contacting the department at (877) 944-6667.
(3) TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION. Effective July 1, 2004, a veterans organization shall satisfactorily complete or be scheduled for a training and certification program approved by the department to be eligible to receive reimbursement for providing funeral honors. As a continuing condition of eligibility for reimbursement, a veterans organization having a 60% or greater turnover in personnel in a 12 month period or identified by the department as failing to meet minimal requirements in the provision of military funeral honors shall undergo and successfully complete a refresher training program approved by the department.(CR 03-110: cr. Register March 2004 No. 579, eff. 4-1-04.)