Washington Administrative Code
Title 458 - Revenue, Department of
Chapter 458-16A - Property tax-Exemptions-Homes for the aging, senior citizens and disabled persons
Section 458-16A-135 - Senior citizen, disabled person, and disabled veteran exemption-Application procedures
Current through Register Vol. 22-07, April 1, 2022
(1) Introduction. This rule explains when and how a senior citizen, disabled person, or disabled veteran may apply for a property tax exemption on their principal residence.
(2) When to apply for the exemption. A claimant may first apply for the exemption in the calendar year that they meet the age, disability, or disabled veteran requirements for exemption of taxes due in the following year. If the claimant does not apply when they meet the age, disability, or disabled veteran requirements, then they may apply for the exemption in any subsequent year. The exemption may be claimed on their principal residence for previous years by applying with separate applications for each year. However, refunds based on an exemption made in previous years may be refunded for only up to three years after the taxes were due as provided in RCW 84.69.030.
(3) Application required. A claimant must submit to the county assessor's office an application for exemption with supporting documents. When an application is first made, if the claimant applies for more than one year , an application must be made for each year the claimant seeks the exemption.
(4) Where to obtain the application form. A claimant may obtain the application form and the list of required supporting documents from the county assessor's office where their principal residence is located.
(5) How to apply for the exemption. Applications and supporting documents are filed in person or by mail at the county assessor's office where the principal residence is located. As an alternative, the county assessor may provide an electronic means for filing if authorized by the department.
Wash. Admin. Code § 458-16A-135
Amended by WSR 15-22-086, Filed 11/3/2015, effective 12/4/2015
Amended by WSR 20-04-017, Filed 1/24/2020, effective 2/24/2020
Statutory Authority: RCW 84.36.389 and 84.36.865. 13-08-028, § 458-16A-135, filed 3/27/13, effective 4/27/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 84.36.383, 84.36.389, and 84.36.865. 08-16-079, § 458-16A-135, filed 7/31/08, effective 8/31/08; 03-09-002, § 458-16A-135, filed 4/2/03, effective 5/3/03.
This section was updated on 2/20/2020 by an editor because it was made effective.