Washington Administrative Code
Title 434 - Secretary of State
Chapter 434-840 - Address confidentiality program
Section 434-840-017 - Substitute address
Current through Register Vol. 22-12, June 15, 2022
(1) Program participants may use the substitute address provided by the secretary of state when interacting with any state or local agency on all forms or applications that require an address.
(2) Every state or local government agency, or office, shall accept the substitute address issued by the secretary of state as the only address for all program participants when the participant provides the address and authorization card and authorization number unless the agency has an exemption pursuant to RCW 40.24.050 and WAC 434-840-070. Program participants are not required to respond to any question regarding the details or circumstances of the person's inclusion in the program. The public agency may contact the secretary of state to verify program participation and for additional program information.
(3) The agency official creating a new record may make a file photocopy of the authorization card and will immediately return the authorization card to the program participant.
(4) The agency official may call the program to verify an individual's participation status in the program and to confirm the participant's authorization number (PMB).
(5) The secretary of state is the agent for receipt of all mail sent to program participants at the substitute address.
(6) All first class mail specifically addressed to the program participant at the substitute address will be forwarded at least every second business day to each participant's mailing address, using "return service requested" designation on the envelope. The secretary of state is not required to forward mail that is not specifically addressed to the participant.
(7) The secretary of state may hold a participant's mail for up to five business days upon verbal request of the participant. The hold may be up to three weeks if the participant's request is written and signed and provides a contact telephone number for the hold period. The secretary of state must compare the signature on the hold request with that on file for the participant prior to holding the mail. In the absence of a specific hold date from the participant, the hold date is the date of receipt by the secretary of state.
Adopted by WSR 19-12-002, Filed 5/22/2019, effective 6/22/2019
Amended by WSR 22-04-086, Filed 1/31/2022, effective 3/3/2022