Washington Administrative Code
Title 434 - Secretary of State
Chapter 434-324 - Statewide voter registration database
Section 434-324-045 - Verification of applicant's identity
Current through Register Vol. 22-12, June 15, 2022
(1) If the applicant is provisionally registered pursuant to WAC 434-324-040(5), the county auditor may use other government resources and public records to confirm the applicant's driver's license or state identification card number, valid tribal identification card, or the last four digits of the applicant's Social Security number. The county auditor may also attempt to contact the applicant by phone, email or other means to obtain identification information.
(2) If, after these attempts, the county auditor is still unable to verify the applicant's identity, the county auditor must send the applicant an identification notice at the time of registration that includes a postage prepaid, preaddressed form by which the applicant may verify or send additional information. The identification notice must include:
(3) If the applicant responds with updated driver's license, state identification card, valid tribal identification card, or Social Security information, or with a copy of one of the alternative forms of identification, the flag on the voter registration record must be removed, allowing the applicant's ballot to otherwise be counted the first time they vote after registering.
(4) If the applicant fails to respond with adequate documentation to verify the applicant's identity, the applicant's voter registration record must remain flagged. The applicant must be notified at the time of each election that the ballot will not be counted unless adequate verification of identity is provided.
(5) A provisional registration must remain on the official list of registered voters for at least two general elections for federal office. If, after two general elections for federal office, the voter still has not verified or provided information to verify identity, the provisional registration shall be canceled.
(6) The county auditor shall mail an identification notice to a primary-only voter, as defined in WAC 434-232-010, no earlier than 90 days before the primary that they are eligible to participate in.
(7) The county auditor shall not mail an identification notice to a participant in the future voter program established under RCW 29A.08.170 until the participant becomes a registered voter.
Amended by WSR 14-06-040, filed 2/26/14, effective 3/29/2014
Amended by WSR 20-13-043, Filed 6/10/2020, effective 7/11/2020
Amended by WSR 22-10-041, Filed 4/27/2022, effective 5/28/2022
Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611, 29A.04.620, and 29A.04.630. 11-24-064, § 434-324-045, filed 12/6/11, effective 1/6/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611. 09-18-098, § 434-324-045, filed 9/1/09, effective 10/2/09; 09-12-078, § 434-324-045, filed 5/29/09, effective 6/29/09; 09-03-110, § 434-324-045, filed 1/21/09, effective 2/21/09; 07-24-044, § 434-324-045, filed 11/30/07, effective 12/31/07; 07-02-100, § 434-324-045, filed 1/3/07, effective 2/3/07.