Washington Administrative Code
Title 434 - Secretary of State
Chapter 434-260 - Election review process and certification of election administrators
Section 434-260-020 - Definitions
Current through Register Vol. 22-12, June 15, 2022
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Election review" means the process of examining all or a part of a county's election policies and procedures and includes the review of any documentation of those procedures;
(2) "Election review staff" means the person or persons employed by the secretary of state for the purpose of conducting election reviews;
(3) "Special election review" means an election review conducted in a county or counties whenever the unofficial returns of a primary or election indicate that a mandatory recount is likely in a race for the state legislature, congress, or statewide office;
(4) "Preliminary review report of findings and recommendations" means that draft report made by the election review staff to the county auditor and which contains any recommendations made by the review staff and a preliminary conclusion regarding the county's election procedures;
(5) "Draft election review report" means that report made by the election review staff to the county auditor and the designated members of the county canvassing board. The auditor and/or county canvassing board must respond to the draft election review report in writing and may appeal the report to the election administration and certification board;
(6) "Final election review report" means that report made by the election review staff which contains a copy of the recommendations made by the review staff, the response to those recommendations made by the county auditor or the county canvassing board, and a conclusion written by the staff;
(7) "Special review recommendations" means recommendations made by the review staff to the county auditor and the county canvassing board following the conduct of any special review;
(8) "County auditor designee" is that person designated by the county auditor to participate in the review process, pursuant to the provisions of RCW 29A.04.580. Such a designee must be certified as required by chapter 29A.04 RCW.
(9) "Election administrator" means the person or persons appointed by the county auditor to election management positions as required by RCW 36.22.220 and the state director of elections, assistant directors of elections, certification and training program staff members, and any other secretary of state election division employees designated by the director of elections;
(10) "Assistant election administrator" means any person involved in the administration of elections at the state or county level who has been designated as an assistant election administrator by the state director of elections or the county auditor as applicable;
(11) "County canvassing board members" means those officers designated as such pursuant to the provision of chapter 29A.60 RCW;
(12) "Election administration and certification board" means that board created pursuant to the provisions of RCW 29A.04.510.
Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611, 29A.04.620, and 29A.04.630. 11-24-064, § 434-260-020, filed 12/6/11, effective 1/6/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611. 09-18-098, § 434-260-020, filed 9/1/09, effective 10/2/09; 05-17-145, § 434-260-020, filed 8/19/05, effective 9/19/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.610. 04-15-089, § 434-260-020, filed 7/16/04, effective 8/16/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 29.60.020. 99-12-004, § 434-260-020, filed 5/19/99, effective 6/19/99. 98-08-010, recodified as § 434-260-020, filed 3/18/98, effective 3/18/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 29.60.020. 93-18-053, § 434-60-020, filed 8/30/93, effective 9/30/93.