Washington Administrative Code
Title 434 - Secretary of State
434-219 - Presidential primary.
434-219-155 - Ballot materials.
(1) Each county shall print declarations on the return envelopes in the same format and color as prescribed by the secretary of state which must include:
(a) The standard declaration per WAC 434-230-015 printed on the return envelope along with each political party declaration.
(b) Each political party declaration printed with a checkbox for voters to indicate the party declaration to which they subscribe.
(c) One signature line to serve as both the voter's standard ballot declaration and the signature for the voter's political party declaration.
(2) In addition to ballot requirements listed in WAC 434-230-015:
(a) County auditors must issue consolidated ballots that include the political party ballots printed on one side of a single sheet of paper.
(b) Each ballot must specify the election as "Presidential Primary."
(c) A political party checkbox must not be printed on the ballot.
(d) A "Democratic Party" heading within or under a blue shaded bar and a "Republican Party" heading within or under a red shaded bar printed immediately above the associated list of candidates. Other major political parties included in the primary must have similar headings and color.
(e) The ballot lists of candidates for president for each political party shall be printed in the following order:
The major political party that received the highest number of votes from the electors of this state for the office of president of the United States at the last presidential election must appear first. Other major political parties must follow according to the votes cast for their nominees for president at the last presidential election.
(f) Candidates shall be listed in alphabetical order within each political party as certified by the secretary of state.
(g) Following each list of candidates shall be a response position for a voter to indicate a preference for delegates to the party's national convention to remain uncommitted, if inclusion of the response position is requested by that political party.
(h) Following each list of candidates and any response position for uncommitted, shall be a space for writing in the name of a candidate.
(i) Candidate names shall be printed in a type style and point size that can be read easily. If a candidate's name exceeds the space provided, the election official shall take whatever steps necessary to place the name on the ballot in a manner which is readable. These steps may include, but are not limited to, printing a smaller point size or different type style.
(3) In addition to other instructions normally provided to voters, the county auditor shall include an insert. The insert must provide specific instructions on how to mark the ballot so the ballot will be counted in accordance with the political party declaration signed on the return envelope in substantially the same format as provided by the secretary of state.
(4) Provisional, service, overseas, special absentee and electronically delivered ballots must include political party declarations. If the political party declarations are not printed on the return envelopes, both the ballot and political party declaration must be printed on separate sheets of paper. The voter must be instructed to sign and place the declaration sheet into the ballot return envelope, outside the security envelope. Signatures on both the ballot declaration and the political party declaration are required to count a ballot.
(5) The following WAC sections do not apply to presidential primaries: WAC 434-230-025, 434-230-035, 434-230-045, 434-230-055, 434-230-090, and 434-230-110.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611. WSR 19-20-115, § 434-219-155, filed 10/2/19, effective 11/2/19; WSR 15-24-001, § 434-219-155, filed 11/18/15, effective 12/19/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611, 29A.04.620, and 29A.04.630. WSR 11-24-064, § 434-219-155, filed 12/6/11, effective 1/6/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611. WSR 07-24-044, § 434-219-155, filed 11/30/07, effective 12/31/07.]