Washington Administrative Code
Title 434 - Secretary of State
434-04 - Use of the state seal.
434-04-015 - Definitions.
When used in this chapter, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Secretary" is the secretary of state and his or her designee;
(2) "State seal" or "seal" is the seal of the state of Washington, used in any form (embossed, displayed, printed, physical representation or any other reproduction) as described in RCW 1.20.080 and in WA. Const., Article XVIII, Section 1, or the seal as used on the state flag according to specifications detailed in WAC 434-04-017, or the seal produced by the seal making device designed and created by the Talcott brothers of Olympia in 1889, unless context indicates otherwise;
(3) "Person" is any public or private corporation, individual, partnership, association, or other entity and includes any officer or governing or managing body thereof;
(4) "State agency" is, for the purpose of this chapter, any office, department, board, commission, or other separate unit or division, however designated, of the state government together with all personnel thereof:
(a) Upon which the statutes confer powers and impose duties in connection with operations of either a governmental or proprietary nature; and
(b) That has as its chief executive officer a person or combination of persons such as a commission, board, or council, by law empowered to operate it, responsible either to
(i) No public officer or
(ii) The governor.
(5) "State elected official" is a member of the house of representatives, senate, supreme court, court of appeals and the governor, auditor, secretary of state, treasurer, commissioner of public lands, superintendent of public instruction, insurance commissioner, lieutenant governor, and attorney general of the state of Washington and their designees;
(6) "Educational use" means the primary use of an item containing the state seal as an educational tool;
(7) "Commercial use" and "commercially distributed" means a use of items containing the seal that will be distributed for sale. This shall not include those items to be used for official state business.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.04.040(4). WSR 89-20-031, § 434-04-015, filed 9/29/89, effective 10/30/89.]