Virginia Administrative Code
Title 8 - EDUCATION
Agency 20 - STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Chapter 10 - BOARD OF EDUCATION PUBLIC PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES [REPEALED]
- Chapter 11 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
- Chapter 20 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE LICENSURE OF SCHOOL PERSONNEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 21 - LICENSURE REGULATIONS FOR SCHOOL PERSONNEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 22
- Chapter 23 - LICENSURE REGULATIONS FOR SCHOOL PERSONNEL
- Chapter 25 - TECHNOLOGY STANDARDS FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PERSONNEL
- Chapter 30 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING ADULT HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Chapter 40 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING EDUCATIONAL SERVICES FOR GIFTED STUDENTS
- Chapter 50 - STANDARDS FOR INTERDEPARTMENTAL REGULATION OF RESIDENTIAL FACILITIES FOR CHILDREN [REPEALED]
- Chapter 60 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE APPROVAL OF CORRESPONDENCE COURSES FOR HOME INSTRUCTION
- Chapter 70 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUPIL TRANSPORTATION
- Chapter 80 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES IN VIRGINIA [REPEALED]
- Chapter 81 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES IN VIRGINIA
- Chapter 90 - PROCEDURE FOR ADJUSTING GRIEVANCES
- Chapter 100 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING LITERARY LOAN APPLICATIONS IN VIRGINIA
- Chapter 110 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUPIL ACCOUNTING RECORDS
- Chapter 120 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION
- Chapter 130 - REGULATIONS ESTABLISHING STANDARDS FOR ACCREDITING PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN VIRGINIA [REPEALED]
- Chapter 131 - REGULATIONS ESTABLISHING STANDARDS FOR ACCREDITING PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN VIRGINIA
- Chapter 140 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING RETENTION SCHEDULE FOR UNIFORM PUPIL ACCOUNTING RECORDS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 150 - MANAGEMENT OF THE STUDENT'S SCHOLASTIC RECORD IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS OF VIRGINIA
- Chapter 160 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SECONDARY SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS
- Chapter 170 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS - SELECTION AND UTILIZATION BY LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 180 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SCHOOL COMMUNITY PROGRAMS
- Chapter 190 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING TEXTBOOKS - FREE OR RENTAL SYSTEMS STATE AID [REPEALED]
- Chapter 200 - DIPLOMA - HIGH SCHOOL COMPLETION [REPEALED]
- Chapter 210 - CLASSIFICATIONS OF EXPENDITURES
- Chapter 220 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING TEXTBOOK ADOPTION STATE LEVEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 230 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING TEXTBOOK ADOPTION LOCAL LEVEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 240 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SCHOOL ACTIVITY FUNDS
- Chapter 250 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE TESTING OF SIGHT AND HEARING OF PUPILS
- Chapter 260 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING FINANCIAL RETENTION SCHEDULE [REPEALED]
- Chapter 270 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING TEXTBOOK FUND MANAGEMENT AND HANDLING ON LOCAL LEVEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 280 - JOINTLY OWNED AND OPERATED SCHOOLS AND JOINTLY OPERATED PROGRAMS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 281 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING JOINTLY OWNED AND OPERATED SCHOOLS AND JOINTLY OPERATED PROGRAMS
- Chapter 290 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SCHOOL LUNCH SALE OF FOOD ITEMS
- Chapter 300 - RULES GOVERNING FILM CIRCULATION FROM STATE AND REGIONAL AUDIOVISUAL SERVICES [REPEALED]
- Chapter 310 - RULES GOVERNING INSTRUCTIONS CONCERNING DRUGS AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- Chapter 320 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
- Chapter 330 - RULES GOVERNING ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION
- Chapter 340 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING DRIVER EDUCATION
- Chapter 350 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE OPERATION OF PROPRIETARY SCHOOLS AND ISSUING OF AGENT PERMITS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 360 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING GENERAL EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATES
- Chapter 370 - RULES GOVERNING FEES AND CHARGES [REPEALED]
- Chapter 380 - RULES GOVERNING PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDING CONSTRUCTION (LITERARY FUND) [REPEALED]
- Chapter 390 - RULES GOVERNING DIVISION SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
- Chapter 400 - RULES GOVERNING DIVISION SUPERINTENDENT SALARY AND EXPENSES [REPEALED]
- Chapter 410 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING ALLOWABLE CREDIT FOR TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Chapter 420 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PERSONNEL IN PUBLIC SCHOOL LIBRARIES OPERATED UNDER JOINT CONTRACT UNDER CONTROL OF LOCAL SCHOOL BOARD OR BOARDS
- Chapter 430 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENTS WITH PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL [REPEALED]
- Chapter 440 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE EMPLOYMENT OF PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL
- Chapter 441 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE EMPLOYMENT OF PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL
- Chapter 450 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Chapter 460 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SICK LEAVE PLAN FOR TEACHERS
- Chapter 470 - NURSES, PHYSICIANS, AND THERAPIST STANDARDS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 480 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUPIL RIGHTS AND HEARINGS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 490 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SCHOOL BOARDS LOCAL
- Chapter 500 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING STUDENT INSURANCE PROGRAMS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 510 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SUPERINTENDENT OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION
- Chapter 520 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING REDUCTION OF STATE AID WHEN LENGTH OF SCHOOL TERM BELOW 180 SCHOOL DAYS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 521 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING REDUCTION OF STATE AID WHEN LENGTH OF SCHOOL TERM BELOW 180 TEACHING DAYS OR 990 TEACHING HOURS
- Chapter 530 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING CRITERIA TO IDENTIFY TOXIC ART MATERIALS; LABELING; USE IN ELEMENTARY GRADES PROHIBITED
- Chapter 540 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING APPROVED PROGRAMS FOR VIRGINIA INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION [REPEALED]
- Chapter 541 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING APPROVED PROGRAMS FOR VIRGINIA INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION [REPEALED]
- Chapter 542
- Chapter 543 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF EDUCATION PROGRAMS IN VIRGINIA
- Chapter 550 - [RESERVED]
- Chapter 560 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING REPORTING OF ACTS OF VIOLENCE AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE IN SCHOOLS
- Chapter 565 - REGULATIONS FOR THE PROTECTION OF STUDENTS AS PARTICIPANTS IN HUMAN RESEARCH
- Chapter 570 - SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAM STANDARDS [REPEALED]
- Chapter 580 - REGULATIONS FOR THE SCHOOL BREAKFAST PROGRAM
- Chapter 590
- Chapter 600
- Chapter 610 - [RESERVED]
- Chapter 620 - REGULATIONS REGARDING SCHOOL GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING PROGRAMS IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS OF VIRGINIA
- Chapter 630 - STANDARDS FOR STATE-FUNDED REMEDIAL PROGRAMS
- Chapter 640 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
- Chapter 650 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE DETERMINATION OF CRITICAL TEACHER SHORTAGE AREAS
- Chapter 660 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE REENROLLMENT OF STUDENTS COMMITTED TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUVENILE JUSTICE
- Chapter 670 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE OPERATION OF PRIVATE DAY SCHOOLS FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
- Chapter 671 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE OPERATION OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
- Chapter 680 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE GENERAL ACHIEVEMENT DIPLOMA
- Chapter 690 - REGULATIONS FOR SCOLIOSIS SCREENING PROGRAM
- Chapter 700 - REGULATIONS FOR CONDUCTING DIVISION-LEVEL ACADEMIC REVIEWS
- Chapter 710 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE PROCESS FOR SUBMITTING PROPOSALS TO CONSOLIDATE SCHOOL DIVISIONS
- Chapter 720 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS AND SCHOOL DIVISIONS
- Chapter 730 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE COLLECTION AND REPORTING OF TRUANCY-RELATED DATA AND STUDENT ATTENDANCE POLICIES
- Chapter 740 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING NUTRITIONAL STANDARDS FOR COMPETITIVE FOODS AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Chapter 750 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE USE OF SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT IN PUBLIC ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN VIRGINIA
- Chapter 760 - REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE DESIGNATION OF SCHOOL DIVISIONS OF INNOVATION
- Chapter 770 - BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR CHILD DAY PROGRAMS AND FAMILY DAY SYSTEMS
- Chapter 780 - STANDARDS FOR LICENSED CHILD DAY CENTERS
- Chapter 790 - CHILD CARE PROGRAM
- Chapter 800 - STANDARD FOR LICENSED FAMILY DAY HOMES
- Chapter 810 - MINIMUM STANDARD FOR LICENSED FAMILY DAY SYSTEMS
- Chapter 820 - GENERAL PROCEDURES AND INFORMATION FOR LICENSURE
- Chapter 830 - FEE REQUIREMENTS FOR PROCESSING APPLICATIONS
- Chapter 840 - VIRGINIA CHILD CARE PROVIDER SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
- Chapter 850 - VOLUNTARY REGISTRATION OF FAMILY DAY HOMES - REQUIREMENTS FOR PROVIDERS
The Board of Education is a constitutional body vested with general supervision of the public school system. The Constitution and the Code of Virginia give the board certain powers and duties.
Article VIII, Section 2 of the Constitution vests the Board of Education with the authority to prescribe standards of quality for the public schools, subject to revision by the General Assembly.
Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution establishes the Board of Education and imposes a number of functions upon the board. The Department of Education provides the staff and other resources to implement the constitutional and statutory requirements placed on the Board of Education. This section also vests the board of with the general supervision of the public school system.
Article VIII, Section 5 provides for the powers and duties of the Board of Education. Among the powers and duties prescribed, the board has power, subject to criteria and conditions prescribed by the General Assembly, to divide the Commonwealth into school divisions; to make annual reports to the Governor and General Assembly concerning the condition and needs of public education; to identify school divisions that have failed to meet the standards of quality; to prescribe qualifications of division superintendents; and to approve textbooks and other instructional materials for use in courses in the public schools.
Article VIII, Section 8 of the Constitution of Virginia vests the Board of Education with the responsibility for administering the Literary Fund.
Additionally, Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution establishes the position of Superintendent of Public Instruction. The position of Superintendent of Public Instruction works with the Board of Education, and serves as the director of the Department of Education.
The Code of Virginia further defines the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction based upon those foundations created in the Constitution.
Title 22.1, Chapter 1 provides that there be a system of free public elementary and secondary schools established and administered by the Board of Education, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, division superintendents and school boards. Chapter 1 also authorizes the board to approve fees or charges levied on pupils.
Title 22.1, Chapter 2 provides that the general supervision of the public school system shall be vested in the Board of Education. This chapter also describes the general powers and duties of the board.
Title 22.1, Chapter 3 outlines the qualifications and duties of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Title 22.1, Chapter 4 prescribes that the Board of Education shall divide the Commonwealth into school divisions. The Board of Education has authority to approve establishment of joint or regional schools and make regulations governing their administration.
Title 22.1, Chapter 6 authorizes the Board of Education to prescribe by regulation the minimum qualifications for the position of division superintendent of schools.
Title 22.1, Chapter 7 authorizes the Board of Education to prescribe duties of local school boards in addition to those specified by statute.
Title 22.1, Chapter 8 directs the Board of Education to establish and require a system of accounting for all school funds.
Title 22.1, Chapter 9 provides that the Board of Education shall prescribe by regulation minimum standards for the erection of or addition to public school buildings governing instructional, operational, health and maintenance facilities where these are not specifically addressed in the Uniform Statewide Building Code.
Title 22.1, Chapter 10 provides that the Board of Education makes loans and, subject to approval from the General Assembly, loan interest subsidy payments to school divisions for the construction or renovation of schools, and for technology.
Title 22.1, Chapter 12 authorizes the Board of Education to make regulations governing the provision of pupil transportation.
Title 22.1, Chapter 13 provides the Board of Education oversight of instructional programs and services provided by local school boards, and the board is authorized to approve textbooks and instructional materials.
Title 22.1, Chapter 13.2 requires the Board of Education to prescribe Standards of Quality (SOQ) for the public schools, subject to revision by the General Assembly. The Standards of Quality serve as the foundation program for public schools in Virginia. The Board of Education reviews the SOQ not less than every two years and makes recommendations to the General Assembly. There are nine Standards of Quality covering the following topics:
1. Instructional programs supporting the Standards of Learning and other educational objectives;
2. Instructional, administrative, and support personnel;
3. Accreditation, other standards and evaluation;
4. Student achievement and graduation requirements;
5. Quality of classroom instruction and educational leadership;
6. Planning and public involvement;
7. School board policies;
8. Compliance; and
9.Virginia Index of Performance incentive program.
Standard 3 of the SOQ requires the Board of Education to promulgate regulations establishing Standards of Accreditation that apply to all public schools in Virginia, which shall include, but not be limited to:
1. Student outcome measures;
2. Requirements and guidelines for instructional programs and for the integration of educational technology into such instructional programs;
3. Administrative and instructional staffing levels and positions, including staff positions for supporting educational technology, student services, auxiliary education programs such as library and media services;
4. Course and credit requirements for graduation from high school;
5. Community relations; and
6. The philosophy, goals, and objectives of public education in Virginia.
Title 22.1, Chapter 14 authorizes the Board of Education to establish guidelines and develop model student conduct policies to aid local school boards in the implementation of such policies.
Title 22.1, Chapter 15 authorizes the Board of Education to prescribe regulations for the licensure of teachers and school personnel. The Board of Education is required to set criteria for teacher education programs, in cooperation with the State Council of Higher Education. The Board of Education may prescribe forms for teachers' contracts and prescribe grievance procedures and, with its approval, the superintendent may enter into agreements with other states for reciprocal acceptance of educational personnel.
Title 22.1, Chapter 16 provides that the Department of Education shall regulate private schools for students with disabilities. The board shall make regulations for the management and conduct of schools.
The Board of Education's regulations are available at the James Monroe Building, 101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219 or at www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/regulations.