Utah Administrative Code
Title R384 - Disease Control and Prevention, Health Promotion.
Rule R384-324 - Tobacco Retailer Permit Process.
R384-324-2 - Definitions.
As used in this rule:
(1) "Community location" means the same as the term is defined in Section 17-50-333 and in Section 10-8-41.6.
(2) "Department" means the Utah Department of Health, created in Section 26-1-4.
(3) "General tobacco retailer" means a tobacco retailer that is not a retail tobacco specialty business.
(4) "Local health department" means the same as the term is defined in Section 26A-1-102.
(5) "Plan review" means the process by which the local health department will verify the accuracy of the information provided by retail tobacco specialty businesses through the permit application process.
(6) "Proprietor" means the owner of a retail establishment, or any other place of business which sells, markets, or distributes tobacco products.
(7) "Public retail floor space" means the total floor square feet of the business where a customer can see, retrieve, or purchase any item that is offered for sale by the general tobacco retailer, including all areas behind the purchase counter, and including appurtenant areas used for storage.
(8) "Retail tobacco specialty business" means a commercial establishment in which:
(a) The sale of tobacco products accounts for more than 35% of the total quarterly gross receipts for the establishment;
(b) 20% or more of the public retail floor space is allocated to the offer, display, or storage of tobacco products;
(c) 20% or more of the total shelf space is allocated to the offer, display, or storage of tobacco products; or
(d) The retail space features a self-service display for tobacco products.
(9) "Self-service display" means the same as that term defined in Section 76-10-105.1.
(10) "Shelf space" means the total cubic feet (length x depth x height) of shelf space contained within the retail space that is used for the offer, display, or storage of items that are offered for sale by the tobacco retailer. The shelf height is measured from the top of the tallest item on the top of the shelf. The shelf length is measured from the end of the longest item at the end of the shelf. Empty shelf space is not included in the total shelf space calculation.
(11) "Tobacco product" means the same as that term defined In Section 59-14-102.
(a) Tobacco paraphernalia, as that term is defined in Section 76-10-104.1.
(12) "Tobacco retailer" means a proprietor that is required to obtain a tax commission license and a local health department permit for the sale of tobacco.
(13) "Tobacco retail permit" means the permit issued by the local health department to general tobacco retailers and retail tobacco specialty businesses for the sale, marketing or distribution of tobacco products.