South Dakota Administrative Rules
44:20 - COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL
Chapter 44:20:02 - Reporting and surveillance.
44:20:02:07 - Processing of reports -- Investigation of reports
44:20:02:07. Processing of reports -- Investigation of reports. Upon receipt of a disease or condition report pursuant to this article, the department may investigate the circumstances surrounding the occurrence of the reportable disease or condition to determine the authenticity of the report and to determine what public health measures have been given or should be provided. The department's investigation and actions may include the following:
(1) Confer and coordinate with the physician, hospital, laboratory, institution, or person making the report;
(2) Inspect premises pursuant to SDCL 34-16-5;
(3) Recommend the collection of laboratory specimens that may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis of the disease or to determine the source of the infection or epidemic;
(4) Conduct an epidemiological investigation and record the findings on a case, carrier, or epidemic;
(5) Ascertain the source of the infectious agent, identify unreported cases, and evaluate contacts;
(6) Recommend or implement public health measures;
(7) Provide information concerning the reportable disease or condition and its prevention to the case, carrier, contact, or a responsible member of such a person's household or institution to prevent further spread of the disease; and
(8) Forward a report regarding a person residing in another state to the respective state public health authority or to the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the purpose of effective interstate communicable disease control.
Source: 20 SDR 69, effective November 17, 1993; 28 SDR 92, effective December 30, 2001; 38 SDR 8, effective August 1, 2011.
General Authority: SDCL 34-1-17, 34-22-9, 34-22-12, 34-23-13.
Law Implemented: SDCL 34-16-5, 34-22-1, 34-22-9, 34-22-12, 34-22-12.1, 34-23-13.