South Dakota Administrative Rules
44:20 - COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL
Chapter 44:20:02 - Reporting and surveillance.
44:20:02:02 - Reporting by hospitals, laboratories, and institutions
44:20:02:02. Reporting by hospitals, laboratories, and institutions. The director, principal manager, or chief executive officer of a hospital, laboratory, or institution who has knowledge that a person employed, attended, or served by the hospital, laboratory, or institution has been diagnosed with or is suspected of being a carrier of any of the reportable diseases or conditions listed in § 44:20:01:03 or 44:20:01:04 shall report to the department the information required by § 44:20:02:05. The director, principal manager, or chief executive officer of a hospital, laboratory, or institution may authorize a designee to submit reports of reportable diseases and conditions, but the director, principal manager, or chief executive officer is not relieved of the reporting responsibility. Category I diseases and conditions are reportable immediately. Category II diseases and conditions are reportable by telephone, mail, courier, or facsimile within three days after recognition or strong suspicion of disease. Reporting of a reportable disease or condition by a hospital, laboratory, or institution is in addition to, and not a substitute for, the reporting by the attending physician in § 44:20:02:01. For purposes of this section, hospitals, laboratories, and institutions include:
(1) Health care facilities defined in SDCL 34-12-1.1;
(2) Medical laboratories;
(3) Diagnostic laboratories;
(4) Blood bank, collection, or storage centers;
(5) Public and private elementary and secondary schools;
(6) Public and private universities and colleges;
(7) Health and correctional institutions operated or regulated by municipal, county, state, or federal governments;
(8) Funeral establishments and mortuaries;
(9) Child-care facilities defined in SDCL chapter 26-6; and
(10) Food service, lodging, and campground establishments defined in SDCL 34-18-1.
Source: 20 SDR 69, effective November 17, 1993; 28 SDR 92, effective December 30, 2001; 29 SDR 87, effective December 22, 2002; 38 SDR 8, effective August 1, 2011.
General Authority: SDCL 34-1-17, 34-22-9, 34-22-12, 34-23-13.
Law Implemented: SDCL 34-22-9, 34-22-12, 34-23-2, 34-23-13.
Employee health and disease control, § 44:02:02:01.
Employee health program, § 44:04:04:06.