South Carolina Code of Regulations
Chapter 28 - DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
28-1100 - Prepaid Legal Services Certificate of Registration.
28-1100. Prepaid Legal Services Certificate of Registration.
Statutory Authority: 1976 Code Sections 37-16-10 et seq., Particularly Section 37-16-90
(1) Definitions shall be those contained in S.C. Code Ann. S. 37-16-10 et seq. (1976 as amended) and the following:
(a) "Administrator" means the officer appointed by the Commission on Consumer Affairs pursuant to Title 37, Chapter 6.
(b) "Representative" means an individual who performs direct selling or direct in-person or electronic solicitation of South Carolina citizens on behalf of a prepaid legal services company.
B. REGISTRATION OF PREPAID LEGAL COMPANY
(1) All persons or entities wishing to offer prepaid legal services to the general public or a segment of the general public in this State must first obtain a Certificate of Registration from the Administrator. Initial applications for the Certificate shall be made on a form prescribed by the Administrator.
(2) Certificates of Registration expire on March 1. The renewal period will be between February 1 and March 1 of each year. Renewal applications shall be made on a form prescribed by the Administrator and must be accompanied by a copy of the company's most recent financial statement certified by two principal officers of the company, or in the case of partnerships or sole proprietorships, by a partner or the proprietor.
C. PREPAID LEGAL REPRESENTATIVES
(1) Prepaid legal representatives must be registered with the Administrator before commencing any sales or solicitation activity in this State. Each representative must submit an application for registration on a form prescribed by the Administrator.
(2) Companies shall appoint representatives and pay a non-refundable fee for each representative appointed.
(3) A prepaid legal representative's Certificate of Registration expires on October 1. The renewal period will be between August 1 and October 1 of each year. Renewal applications shall be made on forms prescribed by the Administrator.
(4) When a prepaid legal representative's appointment is terminated, the company must notify the Administrator within thirty days of termination on a form prescribed by the Administrator.
HISTORY: Added by State Register Volume 39, Issue No. 6, Doc. No. 4528, eff June 26, 2015. Amended by State Register Volume 41, Issue No. 5, Doc. No. 4709, eff May 26, 2017.