Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 70 - TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
584-070-0510 - Legacy School Counselor License
TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
Legacy School Counselor License
(1) Purpose of the License: The Legacy School Counselor License is a license that qualifies its holder to be assigned as a school counselor in prekindergarten through grade 12 Oregon public school districts, education service districts, and charter school assignments. It is issued to veteran educators who meet the experience requirements for the legacy school counselor.
(2) Authorization: The Legacy School Counselor License qualifies the holder to accept:
(a) Regular school counseling assignments in prekindergarten through grade 12;
(b) Substitute school counseling assignments in prekindergarten through grade 12; and
(c) Substitute teaching assignments in prekindergarten through grade 12 in any subject matter area.
(3) Term of Licensure: The Legacy School Counseling License is valid for three years and is continuously renewable as provided in subsection (5) of this rule.
(4) Applying for the License: To be eligible to apply for a Legacy School Counselor License, an applicant must:
(a) Possess the personal qualifications for licensure including attainment of at least eighteen years of age and possessing good moral character and mental and physical health necessary for employment as an educator;
(b) Meet one of the following requirements:
(A) Hold an Oregon Basic or Standard Teaching License issued prior to January 1, 2016 with a Basic Elementary or Standard Elementary endorsement and have had four years of experience in a school counselor assignment in a prekindergarten through grade 8 environment obtained after January 1, 2011 and prior to January 1, 2016. The experience must be verified through a PEER form; or
(B) Hold an Oregon Basic Personnel Service License with a Basic or Standard school counselor endorsement issued prior to January 1, 2016;
(c) Complete a background clearance that includes:
(A) Furnishing fingerprints (if necessary);
(B) Providing satisfactory responses to character questions in the form and manner prescribed by the Commission; and
(d) Submit a complete and correct application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
(5) Renewal: To be eligible to apply for renewal of the Legacy School Counselor License, the applicant must:
(a) Complete professional development requirements as provided in OAR 584-255-0010 Professional Development Requirements;
(b) Report on completion of any continuing education regarding suicide risk assessment, treatment and management; and¶
(c) Submit a complete and correct renewal application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 - 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495, 342.553 & 676.860
TSPC 8-2018, amend filed 06/20/2018, effective 06/20/2018
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16