Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 70 - TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
584-070-0421 - Continuing School Social Worker License
TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
Continuing School Social Worker License
(1) Upon filing a correct and complete application in form and manner prescribed by the commission, a qualified applicant may be granted a Continuing School Social Worker License.
(2) The Continuing School Social Worker License is issued for five years and is renewable repeatedly under conditions specified below.
(3) The Continuing School Social Worker License is valid for:
(a) School social work at all age or grade levels; and
(b) Substitute counseling at any level.
(4) To be eligible for a Continuing School Social Worker License, an applicant must:
(a) Meet and complete all of the requirements for the Initial School Social Worker License;
(b) Hold a master's or higher degree in social work from a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or hold the foreign equivalent of such degree approved by the commission;
(c) Have five years of school social worker experience at least half-time or more on any non-provisional TSPC or out-of-state educator license appropriate for the social worker assignment; and
(d) Demonstrate minimum competencies, knowledge and skills in accordance with OAR 584-017-0551 by completing one of the following:
(A) By completing an advanced commission-approved program in school social worker competencies consisting of at least six semester hours or nine quarter hours of graduate credit or the equivalent; or
(B) Validation of all advanced school social worker competencies through assessment by a commission-approved professional development program offered by an institution, an employer, or the two working together; or
(C) By showing evidence of being a Certified School Social Work Specialist awarded by the National Association of Social Workers; or
(D) By having a regionally accredited doctor's degree in social work.
(5) The Continuing School Social Worker License may be renewed for five years upon completion of professional development requirements in accordance with OAR 584-090.
(6) Persons holding a Continuing School Social Worker License may not:
(a) Substitute as a School Counselor for a period greater than three consecutive months without obtaining the School Counselor License;
(b) Substitute as a School Psychologist; or
(c) Accept any full or part-time position as a School Counselor or as a School Psychologist; or
(d) Go by the title of School Counselor or School Psychologist.
(7) Violations of subsection (6) above may result in referral to the Commission for violation of professional practices.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430, 342.455 – 342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 6-2011, f. 8-15-11, cert. ef. 9-1-11
TSPC 4-2011, f. & cert. ef. 4-14-11
TSPC 10-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11