Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 70 - TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
584-070-0012 - Preliminary School Counselor License
TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PERSONNEL LICENSES
Preliminary School Counselor License
(1) Upon filing a correct and complete application in form and manner prescribed by the Commission, a qualified applicant may be granted a Preliminary School Counselor License for three years plus time to the applicant’s birthday.
(2) The Preliminary School Counselor License is valid for school counselor assignments in prekindergarten to grade 12 assignments.
(a) The license is also valid for substitute counseling; and
(b) The license is also valid for substitute teaching in any subject-matter area.
(3) Applying for the License: To be eligible for a Preliminary School Counselor License, an applicant must satisfy all of the following general preparation requirements:
(a) A master's or higher degree in counseling, education, or related behavior sciences from a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or the foreign equivalent of such degree approved by the Commission and a bachelor’s degree. A master's degree or a doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States validates a non-regionally accredited bachelor's degree;
(b) Admission to and completion of an Oregon or another U.S. jurisdiction, as part of the master's degree or separately, Commission-approved initial program in school counseling;
(c) Obtain a passing score on a Commission-adopted test of knowledge of U.S. and Oregon civil rights laws and professional ethics; and
(d) Complete a background clearance that includes:
(A) Furnishing fingerprints (if necessary);
(B) Providing satisfactory responses to character questions in the form and manner prescribed by the Commission; and
(e) If the Preliminary School Counselor license was issued on the basis of an out-of-state non-provisional license rather than completion of an Oregon-approved program; the educator must complete all requirements in subsection (3) of this rule.
(4) Renewal: To be eligible to apply for renewal of the Preliminary School Counselor License, the applicant must:
(a) Complete 75 continuing professional development units as provided in OAR 584-255-0010, Professional Development Requirements;
(b) Report on completion of any continuing education regarding suicide risk assessment, treatment and management; and
(c) Submit a complete and correct renewal application in the form and manner required by the Commission and the payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
(5) Preliminary to Professional School Counselor: An applicant moving from a Preliminary School Counselor to a Professional School Counselor License must report on completion of any continuing education regarding suicide risk assessment, treatment and management as provided in subsection (4)(b).
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430, 342.455-342.495, 342.553 & 676.860
TSPC 2-2018, amend filed 04/17/2018, effective 04/17/2018
TSPC 6-2016, f. & cert. ef. 11-15-16
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 11-2015, f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16
Reverted to TSPC 5-2014, f. & cert. ef. 8-5-14
TSPC 6-2015(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 7-1-15 thru 12-27-15
TSPC 5-2014, f. & cert. ef. 8-5-14
TSPC 1-2014(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 3-15-14 thru 9-10-14
TSPC 5-2013, f. & cert. ef. 11-14-13
TSPC 8-2009, f. & cert. ef. 12-15-09
Reverted to TSPC 5-2008, f. & cert. ef. 6-13-08
TSPC 3-2009(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 5-15-09 thru 11-11-09
TSPC 5-2008, f. & cert. ef. 6-13-08
TSPC 2-2007, f. & cert. ef. 4-23-07