Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 420 - STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
584-420-0660 - Talented and Gifted Specialization: Program Standards
STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
Talented and Gifted Specialization: Program Standards
(1) Candidates who are prepared for the Talented and Gifted Specialization will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, professional dispositions and cultural competencies necessary to promote the academic, career, personal and social development of talented and gifted students.
(2) The Commission may provide approval to a Talented and Gifted Specialization program only if it includes:
(a) Content that will enable candidates to meet the competency standards set forth in this rule and the TSPC Program Review and Standards Handbook;
(b) Field experiences that include supervised teaching or internships in classrooms with talented and gifted learners; and
(c) Integration of principles of cultural competency and equitable practice in each competency standard through the entire Talented and Gifted Specialization program.
(3) Standard 1: Learner Development and Individual Learning Differences: Talented and Gifted Specialists understand the variations in learning and development in cognitive and affective areas between and among Talented and Gifted Learners and apply this understanding to provide meaningful and challenging learning experiences for children identified as Talented and Gifted.
(4) Standard 2: Learning Environments: Talented and Gifted Specialists create safe, inclusive, and culturally responsive learning environments so that talented and gifted learners become effective learners and develop social and emotional well-being.
(5) Standard 3: Curricular Content Knowledge: Talented and Gifted Specialists use knowledge of general and specialized curricula to advance learning for talented and gifted learners.
(6) Standard 4: Cultural Competency and Equity in the Classroom: Talented and Gifted Specialists demonstrate the cultural competency and proficiencies necessary to provide equitable outcomes for all students.
(7) Standard 5: Assessment: Talented and Gifted Specialists use multiple methods of assessment and data sources in making educational decisions about identification of talented and gifted Learners and student learning.
(8) Standard 6: Instructional Planning and Strategies: Talented and Gifted Specialists select, adapt, and use a repertoire of evidence-based instructional strategies to advance the learning of talented and gifted learners.
(9) Standard 7: Professional Learning and Ethical Practices: Talented and Gifted Specialists use foundational knowledge of the field and professional ethical principles and programming standards to inform gifted education practice, to engage in lifelong learning, and to advance the profession.
(10) Standard 8: Collaboration: Talented and Gifted Specialists collaborate with families, other educators, related service providers, talented and gifted learners, and personnel from community agencies in culturally responsive ways to address the needs of talented and gifted Learners across a range of learning experiences.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430; 342.455-342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 13-2015(Temp), f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16 thru 6-28-16