Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 420 - STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
584-420-0620 - Early Childhood Education Specialization: Program Standards
STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
Early Childhood Education Specialization: Program Standards
(1) Candidates who are prepared for the Early Childhood Education specialization will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, professional dispositions and cultural competencies necessary to promote the academic, career, personal and social development of students in early childhood education learning environments.
(2) The Commission may provide approval to an Early Childhood Education Specialization program only if it includes:
(a) Content that will enable candidates to meet the competency standards set forth in this rule and the TSPC Program Review and Standards Handbook;
(b) Field experiences that include supervised teaching or internships in classrooms with Early Childhood Education learners; and
(c) Integration of principles of cultural competency and equitable practice in each competency standard through the entire Early Childhood Education Specialization program.
(3) Standard 1: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to human development with special emphasis on cognitive, physical, language, social, emotional, and aesthetic development from birth through age eight;
(4) Standard 2: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to foundations of early childhood education, to include familial, social, and cultural contexts and diversity;
(5) Standard 3: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to curriculum for young children, to include developmentally appropriate objectives, teaching materials, and learning experiences for integrating instruction in language, mathematics, science, social studies, health, safety, nutrition, art, music, drama, and movement;
(6) Standard 4: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to instruction on dyslexia that is consistent with the knowledge and practice standards of an international organization on dyslexia;
(7) Standard 5: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to classroom management to meet the individual needs of young children, to include children with disabilities and special abilities;
(8) Standard 6: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to observation and evaluation of children's behavior and achievement and use of these data in planning instruction, guiding children, and collaborating with parents and resource persons;
(9) Standard 7: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to instruction on communicating and conferencing with parents, regular and special educators, and other professional resources to achieve educational objectives with each child; and
(10) Standard 8: Candidates demonstrate knowledge and skills related to supervised practicum integrated with instruction in all of the above, to include experiences in prekindergarten and kindergarten programs.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430; 342.455-342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 13-2015(Temp), f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16 thru 6-28-16