Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 420 - STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
584-420-0440 - Reading Interventionist: Program Standards
STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
Reading Interventionist: Program Standards
(1) Candidates who are prepared for the Reading Intervention endorsement will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, professional dispositions and cultural competencies necessary to promote the academic, career, personal and social development of students in a reading intervention learning environment.
(2) The Commission may provide approval to an educator preparation program that prepares candidates for a Reading Intervention endorsement only if it includes:
(a) Content that will enable candidates to gain the knowledge, skills, abilities, professional dispositions, and cultural competencies to meet the standards set forth in this rule and the TSPC Program Review and Standards Handbook;
(b) Content that will enable candidates to meet reading instruction requirements as provided in OAR 584-420-0015;
(c) Content that will enable candidates to meet dyslexia instruction requirements as provided in OAR 584-420-0016;
(d) A requirement for candidates to complete the Commission-approved test for Reading Interventions;
(e) A requirement for candidates to complete a teacher performance assessment as provided in OAR 584-017-1100;
(f) Field experiences that include supervised teaching or internships in reading intervention learning environments; and
(g) Integration of principles of cultural competency and equitable practice in each competency standard through the entire Reading Intervention endorsement program.
(3) Standard 1: Candidates demonstrate the knowledge and skills related to foundational reading knowledge and dispositions.
(4) Standard 2: Candidates demonstrate the knowledge and skills related to instructional reading strategies and curriculum materials.
(5) Standard 3: Candidates demonstrate the knowledge and skills related to reading assessment, diagnosis and evaluation.
(6) Standard 4: Candidates demonstrate the ability and understand the importance of creating a literate environment.
(7) Standard 5: Candidates understand the importance on participation in professional development related to reading instructional skills.
(8) Standard 6: Candidates demonstrate the ability to provide leadership, guidance and supervision of paraprofessionals.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430; 342.455-342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2017, f. & cert. ef. 2-1-17
TSPC 4-2016(Temp), f. 8-31-16, cert. ef. 9-1-16 thru 2-27-17
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 13-2015(Temp), f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16 thru 6-28-16