Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 420 - STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
584-420-0425 - Physical Education: Program Standards
STATE STANDARDS FOR LICENSURE, ENDORSEMENT AND SPECIALIZATION PROGRAMS
Physical Education: Program Standards
(1) Candidates who are prepared for the Physical Education Endorsement will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, professional dispositions and cultural competencies necessary to promote the academic, career, personal and social development of students in physical education learning environments.
(2) The Commission may provide approval to an educator preparation program or course of study that prepares candidates for a Physical Education Endorsement only if it includes:
(a) Content that will enable candidates to meet the competency standards set forth in this rule and the TSPC Program Review and Standards Handbook;
(b) A requirement for candidates to complete the Commission-approved test for Physical Education;
(c) A requirement for candidates to complete a teacher performance assessment as provided in OAR 584-017-1100; and
(d) Field experiences that include supervised teaching or internships in Physical Education classroom settings; and
(e) Integration of principles of cultural competency and equitable practice in each competency standard through the entire Physical Education Endorsement program.
(3) Standard 1: Candidates demonstrate an understanding of physical education content, disciplinary concepts, and tools of inquiry related to the development of a physically educated person.
(4) Standard 2: Candidates demonstrate an understanding of how individuals learn and develop, and can provide opportunities that support their physical, cognitive, social and emotional development.
(5) Standard 3: Candidates demonstrate the ability to use differentiated instruction for diverse learners by demonstrating an understanding of how individuals differ in their approaches to learning and create appropriate instruction opportunities adapted to individual differences.
(6) Standard 4: Candidates demonstrate the ability to understand individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning and self-motivation.
(7) Standard 5: Candidates demonstrate the ability to use effective verbal, nonverbal and media communication techniques to foster inquiry, collaboration and engagement in physical activity settings
(8) Standard 6: Candidates demonstrate the ability to use a variety of developmentally appropriate instructional strategies to develop physically educated individuals.
(9) Standard 7: Candidates demonstrate the ability to use formal and informal assessment strategies to foster physical, cognitive, social and emotional development of learners in physical activity.
(10) Standard 8: Candidates demonstrate the ability to reflect and evaluate the effects of her or his actions on others.
(11) Standard 9: Candidates demonstrate the ability to use information technology to enhance learning and to enhance personal and professional productivity.
(12) Standard 10 Candidates demonstrate the ability to foster relationships with colleagues, parents and guardians and community agencies to support learners’ growth and well-being.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430; 342.455-342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2017, f. & cert. ef. 2-1-17
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 13-2015(Temp), f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16 thru 6-28-16