Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 225 - SPECIALIZATIONS
584-225-0090 - Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 Specialization
Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 Specialization
(1) Purpose: A Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 specialization indicates that an educator has obtained additional and specialized preparation to assist other teachers with mathematic content and pedagogy skills for teaching mathematics in grades prekindergarten through grade 8.
(2) A specialization is an optional indication of specialized expertise or preparation in an area the Commission recognizes as “added value” on a license. A specialization indicates the educator has demonstrated exceptional knowledge, skills and related abilities in that area. A specialization must meet standards set by the Commission. A specialization is not required to teach in the specialization area indicated on the license.
(3) Applying for the Specialization: To be eligible to add a Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 Specialization to a Preliminary, Professional, Teacher Leader or Legacy Teaching License, an applicant must:
(a) Hold an active and valid non-provisional Oregon teaching license with an Elementary-Multiple Subjects or Foundational Mathematics endorsement;
(b) Complete a Commission-approved Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader specialization program in accordance with 584-420-0650. At least fifty percent (50%) of the Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 program coursework must have been completed within five years prior to the date of application for the specialization; and
(c) Submit a complete and correct application to obtain the specialization in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
NOTE: Adding the specialization at the time of renewal will not require an additional cost to the licensure renewal process.
(4) An Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8 Specialization may not be added to a provisional license.
(5) The specialization will appear on a license as follows: Specialization: Mathematics Instructional Leader: PreK-8.
(6) Once the specialization is indicated on a license, it may only be removed at the educator’s request.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120–342.430, 342.455-342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 11-2018, amend filed 12/04/2018, effective 12/04/2018
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 13-2015(Temp), f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16 thru 6-28-16