Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 225 - SPECIALIZATIONS
584-225-0065 - Dual Language Specialization
Dual Language Specialization
(1) Purpose: A Dual Language specialization indicates that an educator has obtained additional and specialized preparation to teach prekindergarten through grade 12 students in dual language learning environments.
(2) A specialization is an optional indication of specialized expertise or preparation in an area the Commission recognizes as “added value” on a license. A specialization indicates the educator has demonstrated exceptional knowledge, skills and related abilities in that area. A specialization must meet standards set by the Commission. A specialization is not required to teach in the specialization area indicated on the license.
(3) Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible to add a Dual Language specialization to a Preliminary, Professional, Teacher Leader or Legacy Teaching License, an applicant must:
(a) Be admitted to and complete a Commission-approved Dual Language specialization program in accordance with 584-420-0630.
(b) At least fifty percent (50%) of the Dual Language program coursework must have been completed within five years prior to the date of application for the specialization;
(c) Submit official certification of a passing score on the Commission-approved language proficiency exam as provided in the TSPC Program Review and Standards Handbook; and
(d) Submit a complete and correct application to obtain the specialization in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
NOTE: Adding the specialization at the time of renewal will not require an additional cost to the licensure renewal process.
(4) A Dual Language specialization may not be added to a provisional license.
(5) The specialization will appear on a license as follows: Specialization: Dual Language.
(6) Once the specialization is indicated on a license, it may only be removed at the educator’s request.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 - 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2017, f. & cert. ef. 2-1-17