Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 210 - TEACHING LICENSES
584-210-0165 - Teaching Associate License
Teaching Associate License
(1) Upon filing a correct and complete application in form and manner prescribed by the commission, a qualified applicant may be granted a Teaching Associate License. This license, issued for two years and not renewable. The Teaching Associate License is valid for regular teaching at one or more designated levels in one or more designated specialties but is not valid for substitute teaching.
(2) The Teaching Associate License is issued only to an experienced teaching assistant engaged in an intensive professional development program for teaching assistants approved by the commission under institutional standards found in OAR 584-017.
(3) The Teaching Associate License is restricted to use within the district that has applied for it jointly with the applicant.
(4) To be eligible for a Teaching Associate License, an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a specified institutional program of undergraduate education and professional teacher preparation approved by the commission and have completed 75% of the program required to qualify for assignment as a full-time intern.
(b) Successfully complete one year as a full-time intern in an approved program under the supervision of a school-based supervisor and unit supervisor.
(c) Obtain a passing score on a commission-adopted test of knowledge of U.S. and Oregon civil rights laws and professional ethics.
(d) Have three academic years of half-time or more experience as a teaching assistant assigned primarily to direct instruction and related support.
(e) Complete a background clearance that includes:
(A) Furnishing fingerprints (if necessary); and
(B) Providing satisfactory responses to character questions in the form and manner prescribed by the Commission.
(5) The institutional program and school district will provide supervision for the individual holding a Teaching Associate License. The institutional program and the district will provide a mentor for the teaching associate. The mentor will be designated the teacher of record.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 – 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495 & 342.533
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16