Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 210 - TEACHING LICENSES
584-210-0110 - Limited Teaching License
Limited Teaching License
(1) Purpose of the License: The Limited Teaching License qualifies its holder to teach in a prekindergarten through grade 12 Oregon public school district, education service districts, and charter school assignments. The purpose of the Limited Teaching License is to provide a district with a licensed teacher for one or more highly specialized subjects of instruction for which the Commission does not issue a specific endorsement.
(2) District Sponsorship: The Limited Teaching License requires district sponsorship. The sponsoring district must submit a statement:
(a) Explaining the district’s need for instruction in highly specialized subjects for which the Commission does not issue a specific endorsement;
(b) Describing how the applicant is qualified to teach the highly specialized subject;
(c) Assuring the Commission that the district will limit the assignment(s) of the applicant to the requested specialized subject; and
(d) Assuring the Commission that the district has obtained the license prior to assignment within the district.
(3) Renewal of District Sponsorship: Upon renewal of the Limited Teaching License, the sponsoring district must provide a new statement confirming that the applicant will continue to be assigned to the same highly specialized instruction areas.
(4) Term of Licensure: The Limited Teaching License is valid for three years and is renewable as provided in subsection (8) of this rule. The date of the first expiration of the license is three years from the date of issue plus time until the applicant’s birthday.
(5) Assignment and Endorsement Authorization: The Limited Teaching License qualifies the teacher to accept within the sponsoring district:
(a) Any instructional assignment within the highly specialized subject-area authorized by the limited license; and
(b) Substitute teaching assignments only within the highly specialized subject-matter areas authorized by the limited license.
(6) Granting of License: The Executive Director has the authority to grant a Limited Teaching License for one or more discreet subjects within an established endorsement upon a showing of district need.
(7) To be eligible to apply for a Limited Teaching License, an applicant must:
(a) Provide a statement from the sponsoring district in accordance with subsection (2) of this rule;
(b)(A) Provide official sealed transcripts documenting an accredited associate's degree or its approved equivalent in objectively evaluated post-secondary education; or
(B) Provide evidence of experience related to the intended subject of instruction that is substantially equivalent to at least two years of post-secondary education;
(c) Obtain a passing score on a Commission-approved test of knowledge of U.S. and Oregon civil rights and professional ethics;
(d) Complete a background clearance that includes:
(A) Furnishing fingerprints (if necessary);
(B) Providing satisfactory responses to character questions in the form and manner prescribed by the Commission; and
(e) Submit a complete and correct application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
(8) To be eligible to apply for renewal of the Limited Teaching License, an applicant must:
(a) Provide a statement from the sponsoring district in accordance with subsection (3) of this rule;
(b) Complete professional development requirements as provided in OAR 584-255-0010 Professional Development Requirements; and
(c) Submit a complete and correct renewal application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 - 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 12-2015, f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16