Oregon Administrative Rules
584 - Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
Division 210 - TEACHING LICENSES
584-210-0070 - Legacy Teaching License
Legacy Teaching License
(1) Purpose of the License: The Legacy Teaching License is a license that qualifies its holder to teach in prekindergarten through grade 12 Oregon public school districts, education service districts, and charter school assignments. The Legacy Teaching License is issued to veteran teachers in order to recognize their long-term employment and experience in the public schools without obliging them to meet the advanced competency requirements of the Professional Teaching License.
(2) Assignment and Endorsement Authorization: The Legacy Teaching License qualifies the teacher to accept:
(a) Any instructional assignment prekindergarten through grade 12 within the scope of the subject-matter endorsement(s) on the Legacy Teaching License. The scope of the endorsement shall be determined by the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES) course codes associated with the endorsement as provided by the TSPC Licensure Guide; and
(b) Any substitute teaching assignments.
(3) Term of Licensure: The Legacy Teaching License is valid for three years and is continuously renewable as provided in subsection (5) of this rule. For applicants who qualify for the license from out of state, the date of the first expiration of the license is three years from the date of issue plus time until the applicant’s birthday.
(4) To be eligible to apply for a Legacy Teaching License, an applicant must:
(a) Possess the personal qualifications for licensure including attainment of at least eighteen years of age and possessing good moral character and mental and physical health necessary for employment as an educator;
(b) Hold a Basic teaching license issued prior to January 1, 1999 or a Substitute Teaching License based upon a Basic or Standard Teaching License issued prior to January 1, 1999;
(c) Complete a background clearance that includes:
(A) Furnishing fingerprints (if necessary);
(B) Providing satisfactory responses to character questions in the form and manner prescribed by the Commission; and
(d) Submit a complete and correct application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
(5) Renewal Requirements: To be eligible to apply for renewal of the Legacy Teaching License, the applicant must:
(a) Complete professional development requirements as provided in OAR 584-255-0010 Professional Development Requirements; and
(b) Submit a complete and correct renewal application in the form and manner required by the Commission, including payment of all required fees as provided in OAR 584-200-0050.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 342
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 342.120 - 342.430, 342.455 - 342.495 & 342.553
TSPC 1-2017, f. & cert. ef. 2-1-17
TSPC 1-2016, f. & cert. ef. 2-10-16
TSPC 12-2015, f. 11-13-15, cert. ef. 1-1-16