Ohio Administrative Code
4729 - State Board of Pharmacy
Chapter 4729-17 - Institutional and Health Care Facilities
Section 4729-17-06 - Institutional point of care location
§ 4729-17-06. Institutional point of care location
(A) "Point of care location" has the same meaning as in paragraph (L) of rule 4729-17-01 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Dangerous drugs maintained at a point of care location shall be stored in a locked cabinet(s) or other enclosure(s) located outside of the institutional pharmacy. The point of care location must be sufficiently secure to deny access, without obvious damage, to unauthorized persons.
(C) The responsible person for the point of care location shall be an employee of the institutional pharmacy that owns the drug stock and shall be responsible for all of the following:
(1) Designating those who may obtain access to the drug stock;
(2) Determining, in conjunction with the appropriate interdisciplinary committees, the drugs that are to be included at the point of care location;
(3) Providing controls to prevent the diversion of the drug stock and instituting record keeping procedures to account for the drugs when used and the positive identification of the person who obtained the drugs from the drug stock;
(4) Provide procedures for the inspection of the point of care location to ensure proper utilization and replacement of the drug stock.
(D) If dangerous drugs that are controlled substances are stored at the point of care location, the owner of the drug stock shall either:
(1) Obtain a drug enforcement administration (DEA) registration for the point of care location; or
(2) Utilize the DEA registration of the institutional facility where the point of care location is located. The institutional facility will be responsible for compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations relating to the possession and use of controlled substances.
(E) This rule does not apply to pharmacy-supplied contingency drugs in an institutional facility licensed as a terminal distributor of dangerous drugs.(Effective: 11/1/2017
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/01/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3719.28, 4729.26
Rule Amplifies: 3719.09, 4729.28, 4729.51)