Ohio Administrative Code
4729 - State Board of Pharmacy
Chapter 4729-17 - Institutional and Health Care Facilities
Section 4729-17-02 - Responsible person for an institutional pharmacy
§ 4729-17-02. Responsible person for an institutional pharmacy
Each institutional pharmacy shall be directed by a pharmacist who holds a current identification card to practice pharmacy in Ohio pursuant to the provisions of section 4729.12 of the Revised Code.
(A) The institutional pharmacy director or designated pharmacist shall be the pharmacist-in-charge pursuant to section 4729.27 of the Revised Code, the responsible person pursuant to rule 4729-5-11 of the Administrative Code, and the pharmacist responsible for maintaining supervision and control over the possession and custody of all dangerous drugs acquired by the institutional facility pursuant to division (B) of section 4729.55 of the Revised Code.
(B) A pharmacist shall be the responsible person for no more than one pharmacy except with written permission from the state board of pharmacy unless granted permission in accordance with paragraph (E) of rule 4729-5-11 of the Administrative Code.
(C) The responsible person shall:
(1) Be responsible for the practice of pharmacy performed within the institution;
(2) Develop, implement, supervise, and coordinate all services provided by the pharmacy;
(3) In conjunction with the appropriate interdisciplinary committees, be responsible for the development of written policies and procedures which are consistent with this chapter of the Administrative Code and other applicable federal and state laws and rules governing the legal distribution of drugs, ensure adherence to these policies and procedures in order to provide for the safe and efficient distribution of drugs in all areas of the institution, and make available a current copy of these written policies and procedures for inspection and/or copying by an employee of the state board of pharmacy;
(4) Be responsible for the security and control of all drugs within the institution;
(5) Be responsible for the maintenance of all records, required by state or federal law to be kept at the licensed location, of the acquisition, use, distribution, and disposition of all drugs.
(D) Any change of the responsible person shall be done in accordance with rule 4729-5-11 of the Administrative Code.(Effective: 9/1/2016
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 01/21/2016 and 09/01/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3719.28, 4729.26
Rule Amplifies: 3719.05, 3719.07, 4729.27, 4729.55
Prior Effective Dates: 9/10/76, 11/1/85, 7/1/90, 7/1/91, 1/10/96, 3/1/99, 1/1/09, 01/01/2011)