Ohio Administrative Code
3701 - Department of Health - Administration and Director
Chapter 3701-17 - Nursing Homes
Section 3701-17-09 - Resident life enrichment
§ 3701-17-09. Resident life enrichment
(A) All nursing homes shall provide a comprehensive activity program designed to meet the physical, mental, emotional, psycho-social well-being and personal interests of each resident. Activities shall be provided based on the needs and preferences of each resident as identified on their comprehensive assessment and care plan required by rules 3701-17-10 and 3701-17-14 of the Administrative Code, respectively, and needs and preferences identified during resident's time in the home. Activities shall be implemented and adjusted based on resident input and residents' changes in abilities, physical and mental status. Activities shall be scheduled for day time, week end, evening, and include the community to the extent possible.
(B) All nursing homes shall provide social services to:
(1) Meet the medically-related social service needs of each resident;
(2) Meet the physical, mental, and psycho-social well-being of each resident; and
(3) Assist each resident in attaining or maintaining the highest practicable level of functioning.
(C) Residents may receive visitors of their choice at any time. The nursing home may establish reasonable policies to ensure that visits will not unduly disturb other residents or interfere with the operation of the home and shall provide or arrange for private space for visitation.
(D) Residents may keep pets if allowed by facility policy. If a nursing home allows residents to keep animals or pets, or has facility pets, the nursing home shall, in consultation with the medical director and a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine under Chapter 4741. of the Revised Code, develop and implement a written protocol regarding animals and pets that protects the health and safety and rights of residents. At minimum, the written protocol shall include:
(1) An annual physical examination, including an examination for internal and external parasites;
(2) Vaccinations for common infectious agents, including rabies;
(3) Any other preventive care necessary to protect the health, safety and rights of residents;
(4) Procedure to follow if an animal:
(a) Bites a person; or
(b) Becomes ill or injured;
(5) For resident pets, if the resident is transfered, discharged or otherwise unable to care for the pet, responsibilities for care of the pet until a family member or sponsor can retrieve the pet;
(6) In the case of a facility pet, the name of the designated member or members of the staff responsible for the care of the animal and for maintaining the protocol, including medical records for the animal; and
(7) An evaluation of the medical needs of residents.
(E) Residents shall have reasonable access to various methods of communication. The administrator shall ensure that:
(1) Each resident receives all mail, telegrams, or other communications addressed to the resident unopened and unread immediately upon receipt at the nursing home, and opened and read to the resident after delivery if the resident so requests.;
(2) Each resident's outgoing mail shall be delivered unopened and unread to the regular postal channels promptly upon its receipt from the resident except when there is no regularly scheduled postal delivery or pick-up service in which case it shall be placed into the next regularly scheduled delivery or pick-up. The nursing home shall assist a resident in writing a letter or have a letter written for him or her if the resident so requests;
(3) Each resident has access to telephone services that meets the needs of the resident in an area where calls can be made without being overheard; and
(4) Each resident can use his or her cellular phone, computer, or other technological device unless the use of that device is not medically advisable or is disruptive to other residents or the safe and orderly operation of the home.
Replaces: 3701-17-09(Effective: 1/1/2018
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/01/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3721.04
Rule Amplifies: 3721.04
Prior Effective Dates: 5/2/1966, 12/21/92, 10/20/01, 4/1/12)