Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 20 - BOARD OF PLUMBING
Chapter 09.20.02 - Enforcement of the Plumbing Law by the Board
09.20.02.02 - Required Training for Apprentice Plumbers
09.20.02.02. Required Training for Apprentice Plumbers
A. Before an apprentice plumber may be examined for a license as a journey plumber, the apprentice plumber shall:
(1) Receive at least 7,500 working hours of instruction and experience in the installation and repair of plumbing material and systems, under the direction and control of a master plumber; and
(2) Be registered with the Board for the duration of the apprenticeship training.
B. To avoid undue hardship, the Board may give credit for hours worked in the installation and repair of plumbing material and systems by an unregistered apprentice plumber.
C. It is recommended that the instruction and experience include:
(1) Installation of piping for waste, soil, sewerage, vent and rain leader lines in copper, steel, cast iron, and plastic pipe:1,400
(a) Name and size of sewer fittings, wyes, tees, bend, packing, pouring, caulking joints;
(b) Use of proper fittings in making connections;
(c) Proper pitch in sewer lines;
(d) Regulations on cesspools and septic tanks;
(e) Local codes governing plumbing.
(2) Installation of piping for hot and cold water for domestic purposes:1,400
(a) Rough-in water and gas piping for fixtures;
(b) Cut holes in floors and joist;
(c) Measure up piping;
(d) Run pipe in copper, steel, or plastic;
(e) Installation of domestic water boilers and hot water heaters;
(f) Install tankless or tank-type copper coil heaters in boilers;
(g) Automatic gas water heaters with vent to chimney;
(h) Measure up piping and connect to hot and cold water lines;
(i) Use of pipe cutters and reamers;
(j) Cut threads with stocks and dies, or with pipe threading machines;
(k) Use of joint compound on threads and screw up fittings on pipe with pipe wrenches;
(l) Local codes governing plumbing.
(3) Installation of lead pipe, tin pipe, sheet lead, and solder work: 180
(a) Proper use of tools;
(b) Kinds of materials and fluxes;
(c) Correct heating temperatures.
(4) Assembly in position and connection of fixtures and appliances used in the plumbing and drainage system: 950
(a) Rough-in waste, soil, and vent lines for fixtures;
(b) Pack, pour, and caulk fittings and pipe;
(c) Make up fittings, run piping, and hook up main sewer;
(d) Lay out water lines, hot and cold;
(e) Place and connect various plumbing fixtures;
(f) Local codes governing plumbing.
(5) Service work-maintenance and repair of plumbing: 480
(c) Stoppage of lines;
(e) Trouble shooting plumbing systems.
(6) Operation, care, safety, and use of all tools and materials connected with the trade: 850
(a) Pipe and fittings, tees, ells, 45-degree ells and nipples;
(b) Black, galvanized, wrought iron, wrought steel, copper, and plastic pipe;
(c) Use and care of tools;
(d) Pipe cutters, reamers, stocks and dies, size of wrenches, caulking irons, lead pots, lead burners, lead runners, cleaning of tools, and storage after working hours;
(e) Types of tubs-corner or recess, left or right;
(f) Lavatories-cast iron, vitreous china, and stainless steel;
(g) Closet combinations-vitreous china, closed couples, siphon action, flushometer types.
(7) Gas installation: 750
(a) Types of gas installations-natural and LPG;
(b) Venting gas systems;
(c) Gas appliances and controls;
(d) Local codes governing gas fitting.
(8) Special purpose installations:180
(a) Swimming pools;
(b) Fountains and planters;
(c) Lawn sprinkling and vacuum systems;
(d) Local codes governing plumbing.
(9) Plan reading: 375
(b) Sleeve drawing and deck layout;
(c) Drawing coordination.
(10) Builders level transit:275
(a) Layout of sewer and water lines;
(b) Shoot grades and elevations.
(11) Welding connected with the trade:480
(a) Gas, metallic arc, and heliarc welding;
(b) Use of torch;
(c) Proper flame, fluxes, and solder;
(d) Pipe welding;
(e) Proper welding procedures and techniques;
(f) Identification of welding rods and materials;
(g) Flame cutting;
(12) Rigging: 375
(b) Equipment.(Regulation .02 amended effective January 7, 1976 (3:1 Md. R. 41); amended effective 44:10 Md. R. 472, eff. 5/22/2017)