Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.66 - Inflatable Amusement Attractions
09.12.66.03 - Definitions
A. In addition to terms defined in Business Regulation Article, § 3-101, Annotated Code of Maryland, in this chapter the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "ASTM" means ASTM International, originally known as the American Society for Testing and Materials.
(2) "Attendant" means a person assigned to assist the operator in attending to the safety needs of users.
(3) "Certificate of inspection of an inflatable amusement attraction" means a certificate issued by the Commissioner of Labor and Industry.
(4) "Exit" means a doorway or other opening affording safe and unobstructed egress.
(5) "Fire official" means the authority having jurisdiction in the locality over matters relating to fire prevention and explosion.
(6) "Inflatable amusement attraction" means an air-supported amusement attraction that:
(a) Incorporates a structural and mechanical system; and
(b) Uses a high strength fabric or film that achieves its strength, shape, and stability by tensioning from internal air pressure.
(7) "Inflatable Amusement Attraction Daily Inspection and Daily Pre-Opening Checklist" means the Commissioner of Labor and Industry's form to be completed by the owner prior to the operation of an inflatable amusement attraction.
(8) "Operator" means a person who is trained and who is capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards involving the inflatable amusement attraction operation, and has the authority to control and eliminate any hazards.
(9) "Owner" means a person, the State or a political subdivision of the State that owns an inflatable amusement attraction, or if the amusement attraction is leased, the lessee.
(10) "Qualified person" means a person who has successfully demonstrated the ability to solve or resolve problems related to the subject matter or the work:
(a) By possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing; or
(b) By extensive knowledge, training, and experience.
(11) "Rated capacity" means a capacity:
(a) Established by the manufacturer for the normal loading and operation of an inflatable amusement attraction by weight or number of users; or
(b) If the manufacturer has not established a capacity, as established by the Commissioner after inspection.
(12) "Safety work order" means a written demand issued by an authorized representative of the Commissioner to perform work that has potential safety impact if not corrected.
(13) Serious Physical Injury.
(a) "Serious physical injury" means, for the purposes of this regulation, an injury that requires medical treatment by a physician other than one-time first aid.
(b) "Serious physical injury" does not include:
(i) An injury that does not ordinarily require medical treatment, such as a minor burn, splinter, contusion, scratch, or cut not requiring stitches; or
(ii) A diagnostic procedure, including examination and X-ray, even though provided by a physician or other licensed professional personnel.
(14) "Special inflated amusement structure" means a fun house, dark ride, walk through, haunted house, or any other similar inflated amusement attraction that uses air pressure to support the walls and roof of the structure.
(a) "User" means any person who is a participant in the use of an inflatable amusement attraction as defined by the manufacturer's specifications.
(b) "User" does not include employees of the inflatable amusement attraction owner while engaged in the duties of their employment.