Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.63 - Water Slides Erected Permanently or Temporarily in the State
09.12.63.05 - Daily Inspections
09.12.63.05. Daily Inspections
A. Inspections and Records.
(1) In accordance with COMAR 09.12.62.09B, the water slide owner shall ensure that the water slide is inspected on each day of use to determine that:
(a) The water slide is in safe operating condition; and
(b) Conforms to the requirements in this chapter and COMAR 09.12.62.
(2) The owner shall ensure that the inspections are conducted in a manner which permits close scrutiny of the slide and all of its parts.
(3) Appropriate records shall be kept.
B. The flume shall be inspected before the water is circulated, and in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.
C. Before the water is circulated, the water slide shall be inspected for safety hazards, including, but not limited to:
(1) Loose railings;
(2) Leaking seals at the butt-joints which affect operational safety;
(3) Rough patching of cracks or joints;
(4) Loose or missing guards on the flume turns;
(5) Sharp edges on the flume safety rails;
(6) Projections into the flume troughs;
(7) Unusual movement of the flume bed;
(8) Evidence of deterioration of the wooden flume support structures;
(9) An obstructed view of the splash pool at the exit of the flume.
D. During slide operation the owner or the owner's designee shall periodically:
(1) Observe the movement of the sliders, including:
(a) The location of the sliders' bodies on side walls during turns;
(b) Sliders' impacts with flume walls; and
(c) Safety during sliders' exits into the splash pool;
(2) Determine if any injuries have occurred which indicate a water slide hazard which may require additional inspection;
(3) Ensure that there is a proper and steady flow of water throughout the flume.