Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.63 - Water Slides Erected Permanently or Temporarily in the State
09.12.63.02 - Definitions
A. The following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Deck" means the area surrounding a pool or flume which is specifically constructed or installed for use by sliders.
(2) "Dispatcher" means the attendant who directly controls the operation at the top of the water slide.
(3) "Flume" means an inclined channel containing water which provides a transit path for conveying people.
(4) "Grouping" means more than two persons.
(5) "Runout" means the horizontal portion at the end of a flume which contains a flow of water and allows for safe deceleration and exit of sliders.
(6) "Splash pool" means a pool at the base of the slide from which sliders exit to the deck.
(7) "Splash pool supervisor" means the attendant who directly controls the activity in the splash pool and immediate vicinity.
(8) "Upper pool" means a shallow trough or pool at the top of the slide where the slider begins the descent.
(9) "Water slide" means a recreational device which:
(a) Has a total vertical drop of 10 feet or more;
(b) Uses flowing water to provide low friction in the slide bed or flume;
(c) Is designed to provide a descending ride into a splash pool or runout at the base of the slide; and
(d) May consist of one or more flumes, an upper pool, a splash pool, a pump reservoir, and water treatment and pumping facilities.