Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.38 - General Industry Standard for Personnel Platforms Suspended from Cranes, Derricks, and Hoists
09.12.38.02 - Definitions
A. In these regulations, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Competent designated person" means a knowledgeable person approved or assigned by the employer who has the authority to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate identified existing or predictable hazards in the surroundings, working conditions, or equipment which may be dangerous to employees.
(a) "Crane" means a machine driven manually or by power for lifting and lowering a load and moving it horizontally, with the hoisting mechanism an integral part of the machine.
(b) "Crane" also includes derricks.
(3) "Failure" means load refusal, breakage, or separation of components.
(4) "Hoist" means a device used to lift or lower a load.
(5) "Hoisting" or "to hoist" means all crane or derrick functions, such as lowering, lifting, swinging, booming in and out or up and down, or suspending a personnel platform.
(6) "Jib" means a structural extension added to the boom tip for the purpose of handling loads at higher elevations than they would otherwise be handled by the main boom.
(7) "Live boom" means a boom in which lowering is controlled by a brake without aid from other devices which slow the lowering speeds.
(8) "Load refusal" means the point where the ultimate strength is exceeded.
(9) "Main boom" means the structural component as designed by the manufacturer which enables cranes or derricks to handle loads at various radii.
(10) "Maximum intended load" means the total load of all employees, tools, and materials reasonably anticipated to be applied to a personnel platform or personnel platform component at any one time.
(11) "Qualified" means one who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, has successfully demonstrated their ability to design mechanical or structural objects.