Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.26 - Crane Safety
09.12.26.11 - Tower Cranes
09.12.26.11. Tower Cranes
A. An employer shall ensure that prior to the erection or modification of any tower crane or supporting structure, a qualified person shall determine the appropriate and safe method to integrate, assemble, and erect the tower crane for that site.
B. The employer shall ensure that when a tower crane is erected, dismantled, jumped, or reconfigured the following are maintained at the site where the work is performed:
(1) Written instructions by the manufacturer or a qualified person; and
(2) A list of the weights of each subassembly to be erected, dismantled, jumped, or reconfigured.
C. Except when approved and documented by a qualified person, prior to the commencement of work on the tower crane, the employer shall establish procedures for the particular site for the erection, dismantling, jumping, or reconfiguration work.
D. An employer shall ensure that rigging operations during the erection, dismantling, jumping, or reconfiguring of a tower crane is performed under the direct supervision of a master/lead rigger.
E. An employer shall ensure that a daily job safety briefing is conducted before the commencement of work with all persons working on or around the crane in the following circumstances:
(1) Prior to each jumping operation;
(2) Prior to when the boom, jib, or counter-jib is to be reconfigured; or
(3) Prior to when a tower crane is to be dismantled.
F. An employer shall ensure that the master/lead rigger discuss the following at the daily job safety briefing:
(1) The site-specific procedures;
(2) The manufacturer's recommendations and precautions;
(3) Any concerns related to the process that is to be undertaken;
(4) The communication methods and procedures to be used; and
(5) The process workload for the work shift, including the individual tasks to be performed by each person.
G. An employer shall ensure that erection, dismantling, and inspections shall be conducted in accordance with Chapters 3-1 and 3-2 of the ASME B30.3-2004 Safety Standard for Cableways, Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Hooks, Jacks, and Slings -Construction Tower Cranes.(Regulations .11 amended effective 43:23 Md. R. 1279, eff. 11/24/2016)