Code of Maryland Regulations
Title 09 - MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Subtitle 12 - DIVISION OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 09.12.01 - Board of Boiler Rules
09.12.01.02 - Access and Egress
09.12.01.02. Access and Egress
(1) Except for a water heater or a modular boiler system, a new or replacement boiler installed in a new or existing building shall be installed consistent with:
(a) Or exceeding, the manufacturer's recommendations for clearance; and
(b) The space requirements of § A(6) of this regulation.
(2) In the event manufacturer recommendations for clearance are not provided, a new or replacement boiler installed in a new or existing building, shall:
(a) Have at least 3 feet between:
(i) The top of the boiler and the ceiling, and
(ii) Each side of the boiler and the adjacent wall or other structure; and
(b) Comply with the conditions of § A(6) of this regulation.
(3) The distance between or around a new or replacement boiler in a modular boiler system installed in a new or existing building shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations while ensuring:
(a) There are 3 feet between each side of the perimeter of the boiler system and the adjacent wall or structure; and
(b) The conditions in § A(6) of this regulation are met.
(4) The distance between or around a water heater installed in a new or existing building shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations while ensuring the conditions of § A(6) of this regulation are met.
(5) A boiler or pressure vessel having a manhole shall have 5 feet clearance from the manhole opening to any wall, ceiling, or piping that prevents entrance through the manhole.
(6) A boiler or pressure vessel shall be located to provide adequate space for:
(a) Proper operation of the boiler or pressure vessel and its appurtenances;
(b) Inspection of all surfaces, tubes, water-walls, economizers, piping, valves, and other equipment; and
(c) Required maintenance and the repair and replacement of tubes.
B. Ladders and Runways.
(1) When necessary to afford safe access, a steel runway or platform of standard construction shall be installed across the tops of adjacent boilers or pressure vessels, or at another convenient level.
(2) When a valve or appurtenance requiring frequent manipulation cannot be reached or operated from the floor, a platform or other safe means of operation shall be provided.
(3) A platform or runway shall:
(a) Be at least 24 inches wide;
(b) Have standard handrails and toe boards; and
(c) Provide at least 7 feet, 6 inches overhead clearance.
(4) A runway shall:
(a) Have at least two means of exit, located remotely from each other; and
(b) Be connected to floor level by:
(i) A permanent stairway, or
(ii) An inclined ladder.
C. Each elevation in a boiler room shall have at least two exits, located remotely from each other, if the room:
(1) Exceeds 500 square feet floor area; and
(2) Contains one or more boilers having a fuel-burning capacity of 1,000,000 Btu per hour, or equivalent electrical heat input.(Regulation .02CC amended and .02DD repealed effective June 1, 1982 (9:8 Md. R. 821)
Regulation .02PP amended effective November 4, 1985 (12:22 Md. R. 2103)
Regulations .02 adopted effective June 1, 1989 (16:10 Md. R. 1106)
Regulation .02A amended effective October 7, 1996 (23:20 Md. R. 1422); July 10, 2000 (27:13 Md. R. 1211); February 19, 2001 (28:3 Md. R. 205))