Kentucky Administrative Regulations
Title 302 - DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Chapter 10 - Egg Marketing
302 KAR 10:015 - Egg grading and classification
302 KAR 10:015. Egg grading and classification
RELATES TO: KRS 260.620
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 260.620 requires the department to establish standards governing eggs offered for sale as graded eggs. This administrative regulation establishes the specifications for the Kentucky consumer grades for shell eggs offered for sale in Kentucky.
Section 1. Shell eggs that are offered for sale in Kentucky:
(1) As graded eggs shall meet or exceed the U.S. standards, grades, and weight classes for shell eggs as listed in the United States Department of Agriculture, USDA Egg Grading Manual;
(2) As ungraded eggs shall meet the requirements as provided in Section 2 of this administrative regulation; or
(3) Shall be used as nest run eggs that are sent directly to a processor.
Section 2. Ungraded Eggs.
(1) All ungraded eggs offered for sale in cartons shall be plainly marked "ungraded" on the carton with letters not less than one-fourth (1/4) inch in height.
(2) All ungraded eggs sold in bulk shall be plainly marked "ungraded" on a placard with letters not less than one-half (1/2) inch, in height.
(3) Eggs that are offered for sale in Kentucky shall not consist of eggs unfit for human food in whole or in part, addled or moldy, containing black rot, white rot, or blood ring, adherent yolks, bloody whites, incubated be-yond the blood ring stage, or consisting to any extent of filthy decomposed substance.
(4) The determination of inedible eggs, the sampling to determine the grade, and the determination of quality with shell, albumen, and yoke specifications shall also be governed by the United States Department of Agriculture, USDA Egg Grading Manual.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference.
(1) "USDA Egg Grading Manual", July 2000, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, Egg Marketing Program, 107 Corporate Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.(46 Ky.R. 2969; eff. 5/15/2020; 47 Ky.R. 59; eff. 6/9/2020; 46 Ky.R. 2358, 2969; 47 Ky.R. 59; eff. 7/9/2020.)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 260.620