Kansas Administrative Regulations
Agency 63 - Kansas State Board of Mortuary Arts
Article 7 - Crematories
63-7-1 - Definitions
(a) "Board" means the Kansas state board of mortuary arts.
(b) "Change of ownership" means the transfer of more than 25 percent of the stock or assets of a licensed crematory.
(c) "Closed container" means any container in which cremated remains can be placed and closed in a manner that prevents both the leakage or spillage of remains and the entrance of foreign material.
(d) "Coroner's permit to cremate" means the document that is required to be issued by a Kansas coroner before the act of cremation.
(e) "Cremation container" means the container in which human remains are transported to the crematory and placed in the cremation chamber for a cremation. A cremation container shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Be composed of readily combustible or consumable materials suitable for cremation;
(2) be able to be closed in order to provide a complete covering for the human remains;
(3) be resistant to leakage or spillage;
(4) be rigid enough for handling with ease; and
(5) be able to provide protection for the health, safety, and personal integrity of crematory personnel.
(f) "Cremation interment container" and "urn vault" mean a rigid outer container that meets both of the following requirements, subject to each cemetery's policies:
(1) Is composed of concrete, steel, fiberglass, or a similar material in which an urn is placed before being interred in the ground; and
(2) is designed to withstand prolonged exposure to the elements and to support the earth above the urn.
(g) "Crematory act" means K.S.A. 65-1760 through K.S.A. 65-1774, and amendments thereto.
(h) "Final disposition" means the burial or other disposition on a permanent basis of a dead human body, cremated remains, or parts of a dead human body.
(i) "Niche" means a compartment or cubicle for the memorialization or permanent placement of an urn containing cremated remains.
(j) "Person" means an individual, partnership, association, or corporation.
(k) "Processing" means the reduction of identifiable bone fragments after the completion of the cremation process to unidentifiable bone fragments by manual or mechanical means.
(l) "Pulverization" means the reduction of identifiable bone fragments after the completion of the cremation and processing to granulated particles by manual or mechanical means.
(m) "Scattering area" means a designated area for the scattering of cremated remains usually in a cemetery and on dedicated cemetery property where cremated remains that have been removed from their container can be mixed with, or placed on top of, the soil or ground cover or can be buried in an underground receptacle on a commingled basis.(Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 65-1766, as amended by L. 2010, ch. 131, sec. 13, and K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 65-1774; effective May 17, 2002; amended Sept. 16, 2011.)