Compilation of Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia
Department 360 - RULES OF GEORGIA COMPOSITE MEDICAL BOARD.
Chapter 360-6 - ACUPUNCTURE
Rule 360-6-.10 - Composition and Responsibilities of the Acupuncture Advisory Committee
RULE 360-6-.10. Composition and Responsibilities of the Acupuncture Advisory Committee
(1) The intention and policy of the Board is to reflect the cultural diversity of the citizens of Georgia in the composition of the Acupuncture Advisory Committee ("Advisory Committee"). The Advisory Committee shall be comprised as follows:
(a) At least four (4) appointees, including one (1) individual who may be a lay person or a licensed acupuncturist, three (3) individuals who are licensed acupuncturists and representative of the acupuncture profession and other such individuals as the Board, in its discretion, may determine.
1. At time of appointment by the Board, such individuals shall be licensed to practice acupuncture;
2. All appointees to the Advisory Committee shall have on file with the Executive Director of the Board, or his/her designee, a resume and three (3) letters of recommendation, (one of which may be from a physician familiar with the appointee's practice of acupuncture);
3. In order to preserve continuity on the Advisory Committee, two (2) appointees shall serve a two year term and two (2) appointees shall serve a one year term which will be considered a partial term. At the time of appointment, each appointee will be notified in writing by the Executive Director of the Board as to the beginning and ending dates of their respective appointment terms. Each may reapply to the full Board to serve an additional term, but may not serve more than two consecutive terms;
4. In the event an Advisory Committee member is replaced during a term, the replacement member will serve the remaining time of that term as a partial term. An Advisory Committee member who serves a partial term will, after the completion of the partial term, be eligible to serve two consecutive two-year terms;
5. Appointees shall serve without compensation from the State of Georgia for their time and expenses;
(b) One (1) individual who is a licensed physician and who practices or teaches acupuncture who:
1. Shall serve a two year term and may be reappointed for an additional two year term by a majority vote of the Board, but may not serve more than two consecutive terms; and
2. Shall serve without compensation for time and expenses from the State of Georgia; and
(2) The Advisory Committee shall advise the Board on matters pertaining to the appointment of the Advisory Committee members and on all matters within the purview of the Act. The Board, in consultation with the Advisory Committee, shall:
(a) Determine the qualifications and fitness of applicants for licensure and renewal of licensure;
(b) Adopt and revise rules consistent with the laws of the State of Georgia that are necessary to conduct its duties and administer the Act; and
(c) Examine, approve, issue, deny, revoke, suspend and renew the license of applicants and licensees and conduct hearings in connection with all duties to be performed pursuant to the Act.
(3) Advisory Committee members, who are not members of the Board, must be available to meet on an as needed basis and may not miss more than three (3) consecutive meetings of the Advisory Committee, or four (4) meetings in a calendar year, without an excused absence from either the Executive Director of the Board or the Board President.
(a) The Advisory Committee may recommend to the Board the removal of a member for violation of the attendance rule. Such a recommendation shall be by majority vote of the Advisory Committee.
(b) Upon receipt of a recommendation for removal, the Board may remove a member of the Advisory Committee by a majority vote.
(4) Advisory Committee vacancies may be filled by the Board upon recommendation from the Advisory Committee by advertising on the Board's web page or by any other appropriate means. All applicants must meet any deadline set by the Board and shall have on file with the Executive Director of the Board, or with his/her designee, a resume and three (3) letters of recommendation (one of which may be from a physician familiar with the applicant's practice of acupuncture).
O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-34-63, 43-34-67, 43-34-69, 43-34-70.(Original Rule entitled "Renewal" adopted as ER. 360-6-0.10-.10. F. Aug. 10, 2000; eff. Aug. 21, 2000, as specified by the Agency, to be in effect for 120 days or until the effective date of a permanent Rule covering the same subject matter is adopted, as specified by the Agency. Amended: Permanent Rule entitled "Composition and Responsibilities of the Acupuncture Advisory Committee" adopted. F. Nov. 20, 2000; eff. Dec. 10, 2000. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Jan. 16, 2001; eff. Feb. 5, 2001. Amended: F. June 11, 2001; eff. July 1, 2001. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Oct. 6, 2009; eff. Oct. 26, 2009.)