Compilation of Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia
Department 360 - RULES OF GEORGIA COMPOSITE MEDICAL BOARD.
Chapter 360-35 - LASERS
Rule 360-35-.01 - Definitions
RULE 360-35-.01. Definitions
For purposes of this Chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Assistant Laser Practitioner" means a person who had been licensed by the Board to practice as a cosmetic laser practitioner under the on-site supervision of a senior laser practitioner but the senior laser practitioner does not have to be on-site if the only service being performed is hair removal using lasers or pulsed light devices.
(2) "Board" means the Georgia Composite Medical Board.
(3) "Continuing medical education (CME) educator" or "continuing education (CE) educator" means an individual who teaches courses approved by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
(4) "Cosmetic laser practitioner" means a person licensed by the Board to provide cosmetic laser services and whose license is in good standing.
(5) "Cosmetic laser services" means nonablative elective cosmetic light based skin care, photo rejuvenation, or hair removal using lasers or pulsed light devices approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for noninvasive procedures.
(6) "Cosmetologist" means a person who is registered to practice the occupation of cosmetologist by the State Board of Cosmetology and Barbers pursuant to Chapter 10, Title 43 of the O.C.G.A.
(7) "Direct supervision" means the supervising physician (MD/DO) is physically present on the premises and immediately available to lend medical assistance if needed.
(8) "Esthetician" means a person who is registered to engage in the occupation of an esthetician by the State Board of Cosmetology and Barbers pursuant to Chapter 10, Title 43 of the O.C.G.A.
(9) "Facility" means any location, place, area, structure, office, institution, or business or a part thereof in which is performed or provided cosmetic laser services regardless of whether a fee is charged for such services.
(10) "Lasers" means light-based devices that are prescription devices, the sale of which are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, (FDA), that can be sold only to licensed practitioners with prescriptive authority. It does not include devices which are not light based such as radio frequency devices, ultrasound devices, thermal devices and lasers not regulated by the FDA.
(11) "Medical Practitioner" means a nurse, physician assistant or physician.
(12) "Nurse" means a person who is licensed to practice as a registered professional nurse or who is authorized by the Georgia Board of Nursing to engage in advanced nursing practice pursuant to Article 1, Chapter 26, Title 43 of the O.C.G.A.
(13) "Offices" shall mean a facility offering cosmetic laser services which serves as the principal place of practice at which a physician regularly sees patients for the general and usual care rendered and administered by a physician.
(14) "Physician" means one who is licensed by the Board to practice medicine.
(15) "Physician Assistant" means a person who is licensed by the Board as a physician assistant.
(16) "Senior Laser Practitioner" means a physician assistant or a nurse who has been licensed to practice the occupation of a cosmetic laser practitioner and who practices pursuant to the protocols of a consulting physician.
O.C.G.A. §§43-34-5, 43-34-242, 43-34-244, 43-34-248, 43-34-249.1.(Original Rule entitled "Definitions" adopted. F. Sep. 14, 2015; eff. Oct. 4, 2015. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Nov. 16, 2017; eff. Dec. 6, 2017.)