Compilation of Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia
Department 360 - RULES OF GEORGIA COMPOSITE MEDICAL BOARD.
Chapter 360-2 - LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Rule 360-2-.07 - Reinstatement
RULE 360-2-.07. Reinstatement
(1) A minimum of two (2) years shall pass from the date of any revocation of a license before the Board will consider an application for reinstatement. If the Board denies any application for reinstatement, the Board may require that a minimum of two (2) years pass from the date of the denial before the Board will consider subsequent applications for reinstatement. This two-year requirement shall only apply in those instances in which the license in question was revoked for reasons other than failure to renew.
(2) In order to reinstate a license to practice medicine, an applicant must be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Board that he or she has maintained current knowledge, skill and proficiency in the practice of medicine and that he or she is mentally and physically able to practice medicine with reasonable skill and safety. The Board may also require the applicant to meet with the Board or a committee of the Board. In addition, the Applicant must submit an application for reinstatement and comply with the following:
(a) If the license has been expired for twelve or fewer months, and the applicant has practiced medicine in Georgia on any occasion after the expiration date of the license, the applicant must pay a reinstatement fee of $1,000.00 and provide proof of ten additional continuing education hours over the required forty for renewal.
(b) If it the license has been expired more than twelve months, and the applicant has practiced medicine in Georgia on any occasion after the expiration date of the license, the applicant must pay a reinstatement fee of $2,000.00 and provide proof of 40 hours of additional continuing education over the forty required for renewal.
(c) If the applicant has not practiced medicine in Georgia on any occasion after the expiration date of the license, the applicant must pay a reinstatement fee of $500.00 and provide proof of 40 hours of continuing education within the past two years of application.
(3) The Board, in its discretion, may impose any remedial requirements for applicants who have previously engaged in the practice of medicine and who have not practiced for a period greater than thirty (30) consecutive months as approved by the Board. The Board may require the passage of an examination, such as SPEX, PLAS, or other competency assessments as approved by the Board
(4) Prior to reinstatement of a license, the Board must have received an affidavit that the applicant is a United States citizen, a legal permanent resident of the United States, or that he/she is a qualified alien or non-immigrant under the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act. If the applicant is not a U.S. citizen, he/she must submit documentation that will determine his/her qualified alien status. The Board participates in the DHS-USCIS SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements or "SAVE") program for the purpose of verifying citizenship and immigration status information of non-citizens. If the applicant is a qualified alien or non-immigrant under the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act, he/she must provide the alien number issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other federal immigration agency.
(5) This provision of this rule shall not be construed to limit the ability of the Board to impose sanctions for continuing to practice with an expired license.
(6) Reinstatement of the license is within the discretion of the Board.
(7) The Board may deny reinstatement for failure to demonstrate current knowledge, skill and proficiency in the practice of medicine or being mentally or physically unable to practice medicine with reasonable skill and safety or for any ground set forth in O.C.G.A. §43-34-8.
(8) The denial of reinstatement is not a contested case, but the applicant shall be entitled to an appearance before the Board.
O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-2, 43-1-4, 43-1-7, 43-1-19, 43-24-5, 43-24-8, 43-34-9, 43-34-24, 43-34-24.1, 43-34-37.(Original Rule entitled "Annual Registration" adopted. F. and eff. June 30, 1965. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Oct. 2, 1970; eff. Oct. 22, 1970. Repealed: New Rule entitled "Renewal Registration" adopted. F. Jan. 26, 1976; eff. Feb. 15, 1976. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Dec. 15, 1982; eff. Jan. 4, 1983. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. June 17, 1985; eff. July 7, 1985. Amended: F. May 20, 1988; eff. June 9, 1988. Amended: ER. 360-2-0.5-.07 adopted. F. July 28, 1988; eff. July 26, 1988, the date of adoption. Amended: F. June 11, 1990; eff. July 1, 1990. Repealed: New Rule entitled "Reinstatement" adopted. F. Jan. 24, 2002; eff. Feb. 13, 2002. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. May, 11, 2012; eff. May 31, 2012. Amended: F. Nov. 13, 2012; eff. Dec. 3, 2012. Repealed: New Rule of same title adopted. F. Oct. 14, 2014; eff. Nov. 3, 2014.)