Alabama Administrative Code
Title 880 - Alabama Surface Mining Commission
Chapter 880-X-10K - SPECIAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS --IN SITU PROCESSING
880-X-10K-.03 - In Situ Processing: Performance Standards
880-X-10K-.03. In Situ Processing: Performance Standards
(a) The person who conducts in situ processing activities shall comply with Rule 880-X-10D and this Rule.
(b) In situ processing activities shall be planned and conducted to minimize disturbance to the prevailing hydrologic balance by:
1. Avoiding discharge of fluids into holes or wells, other than as approved by the State Regulatory Authority;
2. Injecting process recovery fluids only into geologic zones or intervals approved as production zones by the State Regulatory Authority;
3. Avoiding annular injection between the wall of the drill hole and the casing; and
4. Preventing discharge of process fluid into surface waters.
(c) Each person who conducts in situ processing activities shall submit for approval as part of the application for permit under Rule 880-X-8J-.12 and follow after approval, a plan that ensures that all acid-forming, toxic-forming, or radioactive gases, solids, or liquids constituting a fire, health, safety, or environmental hazard and caused by the mining and recovery process are promptly treated, confined, or disposed of, in a manner that prevents contamination of ground and surface waters, damage to fish, wildlife and related environmental values, and threats to the public health and safety.
(d) Each person who conducts in situ processing activities shall prevent flow of the process recovery fluid:
1. Horizontally beyond the affected area identified in the permit; and
2. Vertically into overlying or underlying aquifers.
Statutory Authority:Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 9-16-71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 85, 90, 91, 92.