Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE., and State Archaeological Research Center, Rapid City, SD, 19629-19631 [2016-07771]

Download as PDF Federal Register / Vol. 81, No. 65 / Tuesday, April 5, 2016 / Notices historical accounts. Anthropological examination of the physical human remains also reflects expected physical characteristics, trauma, and injuries as described in the historical accounts. Linguistic and folkloric evidence for settlements in the area reflect a Creek occupation of the central Chattahoochee River Valley, including the area of the Burnt Village site. Historic accounts indicate that the survivors of Creek Town of Okfuskeneena fled and were welcomed into neighboring Creek polities, which eventually became part of the Creek Confederations. Oral tradition provided by tribal members further clarify that the descendents of the Town of Okfuskeneena currently reside within, and are part of, The Muscogee (Creek) Nation. Dated: March 3, 2016. Melanie O’Brien, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. Determinations Made by the Mobile District SUMMARY: Officials of the Mobile District have determined that: • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described in this notice represent the physical remains of 21 individuals of Native American ancestry. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(3)(A), the 5,281 associated funerary objects described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of the death rite or ceremony. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects and The Muscogee (Creek) Nation. asabaliauskas on DSK3SPTVN1PROD with NOTICES Additional Requestors and Disposition Representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and funerary objects should submit a written request with information in support of the request to Mr. Michael Fedoroff, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District, 109 St. Joseph Street, P.O. Box 2288, Mobile, Alabama 36628–0001, telephone (251) 694–4114, email Michael.P.Fedoroff@ usace.army.mil, by May 5, 2016. After that date, if no additional requestors have come forward, transfer of control of the human remains and associated funerary objects to The Muscogee (Creek) Nation may proceed. The Mobile District is responsible for notifying The Consulted Tribes that this notice has published. VerDate Sep<11>2014 17:18 Apr 04, 2016 Jkt 238001 [FR Doc. 2016–07765 Filed 4–4–16; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–P DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service [NPS–WASO–NAGPRA–20581; PPWOCRADN0–PCU00RP14.R50000] Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE., and State Archaeological Research Center, Rapid City, SD National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District (Omaha District), has completed an inventory of human remains and associated funerary objects, in consultation with the appropriate Indian tribes or Native Hawaiian organizations, and has determined that there is a cultural affiliation between the human remains and associated funerary objects and present-day Indian tribes or Native Hawaiian organizations. Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and associated funerary objects should submit a written request to the Omaha District. If no additional requestors come forward, transfer of control of the human remains and associated funerary objects to the lineal descendants, Indian tribes, or Native Hawaiian organizations stated in this notice may proceed. DATES: Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and associated funerary objects should submit a written request with information in support of the request to the Omaha District at the address in this notice by May 5, 2016. ADDRESSES: Ms. Sandra Barnum, U.S. Army Engineer District, Omaha, ATTN: CENWO–PM–AB, 1616 Capital Avenue, Omaha, NE 68102, telephone, (402) 995–2674, email sandra.v.barnum@ usace.army.mil. Notice is hereby given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: PO 00000 Frm 00081 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 19629 of human remains and associated funerary objects under the control of the Omaha District. The human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from four sites in South Dakota—site 39SL45 (Ft. Sully II) in Sully County; site 39ST15 in Stanley County; site 39WW89, Walworth County; and an unidentified site in Potter County. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. Consultation A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary objects was made by State Archaeological Research Center and Omaha District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota. History and Description of the Remains In 1971 or 1972, human remains representing, at minimum, one individual were removed from site 39SL45, Fort Sully II in Sully County, SD. They are presently located at the South Dakota State Archaeological Research Center (SARC) and are under the control of the Omaha District. A human cranium and mammal bones were discovered in a storage unit in Hughes County, SD, in September 2001, and turned over to the County Sheriff’s office. The human remains were determined to be of archeological origin and transported to SARC. It was established that the human remains were removed by a private citizen while diving in the Missouri River near Old Fort Sully (39SL45) in 1971 or 1972. Fort Sully II was an active U.S. Army post between 1866 and 1894, and just south of the post were two multicomponent village sites, Fort Sully Village (36SL4) and the Glasshoff site (39SL42). It is possible the skull originated from one of the two village sites. Based on morphological characteristics consistent with a Plain Village population, the human remains are determined to be Native American. No known individual was identified. The 6 associated funerary objects are mammal bone fragments. Site 39SL4 was occupied during the Extended (A.D. 1500–1675) and Post Contact (A.D. 1675–1780) Coalescent E:\FR\FM\05APN1.SGM 05APN1 asabaliauskas on DSK3SPTVN1PROD with NOTICES 19630 Federal Register / Vol. 81, No. 65 / Tuesday, April 5, 2016 / Notices variants of the Plans Village tradition. Site 39SL42 was occupied during the Extended Middle Missouri variant (A.D. 1000–1500). Archeological, physical anthropological, geographical, and ethnographic evidence indicates that the Extended Coalescent and Post Contact Traditions are ancestral Arikara. Archeological, geographical, and physical anthropological evidence suggests that the Extended Middle Missouri variant is ancestral to the Mandan. Both the Arikara and Mandan are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation. In 1984 and 1985, human remains representing, at minimum, three individuals were removed from site 39ST15, Indian Creek Village in Stanley County, SD. They are presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the Omaha District. During excavation, three isolated teeth, representing three individuals, were removed from the Indian Creek Village Site, 39ST15, but were not identified as human at that time. The collections from the site were at the Archeology Laboratory, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, until 1995, when they were transferred to SARC. In 1997, the teeth were identified as human. Associated records indicate that teeth were found in features within two separate houses at the site. Based on the archeological context, the human remains are determined to be Native American. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Three variants of the Plains Village Tradition are represented at the multicomponent earth lodge village site 39ST15—Extended Middle Missouri (A.D. 1000–1500), Extended (A.D. 1500– 1675), and Post Contact Coalescent (A.D. 1675–1780). Individual 1 is mostly likely associated with the Extended Middle Missouri component, and Individuals 2 and 3 are most likely associated with the Post Contact Coalescent component. Archeological, physical anthropological, historical, ethnographic, and geographical evidence support that Middle Missouri as being ancestral to the Mandan, and the Post Contact Coalescent as being ancestral to the Arikara. Both the Arikara and Mandan are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation. In 1979 and 1982, human remains representing, at minimum, three individuals were removed from site 39WW89 in Walworth County, SD. They are presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the Omaha District. VerDate Sep<11>2014 17:18 Apr 04, 2016 Jkt 238001 The human remains were removed during two separate investigations. In 1979, the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, surveyed the east shore of Lake Oahe and removed human bone fragments representing two individuals, along with a single lithic flake from the surface. In 1982, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, conducted test excavations at the site and removed the human remains of three individuals and two associated funerary objects; human remains from two of the individuals removed in 1982 were determined to be portions of the individuals removed in 1979. The collection was transferred to SARC in 1984, and the human remains were inventoried by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and then reburied in 1991, near Ft. Pierre, SD. In 1999, the human remains from the Augustana College investigation and all the associated funerary objects were located by SARC in their collections. Based on the archeological context and associated funerary objects, the human remains are determined to be Native American. No known individuals were identified. The 3 associated funerary objects are 1 lithic tool and 2 lithic flakes. Based on radiometric dating, the site was used between A.D. 1400–1560, a time period that includes two archeologically defined components, the Extended Middle Missouri (A.D. 1000– 1500) and the Extended Coalescent (A.D. 1500–1675) variants of the Plan Village Tradition. Based on architecture, artifact types, geographical location, and physical anthropological data, the Extended Middle Missouri populations are ancestral Mandan and the Extended Coalescent are ancestral Arikara. Both the Mandan and the Arikara are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation. In 1963, human remains representing, at minimum, 1 individual were removed from an unidentified site in Potter County, SD. They are presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the Omaha District. In April 1999, a human skull was donated to the Nebraska State Historical Society, Lincoln. The skull was reported to be removed along the Missouri River near Gettysburg, SD. After transfer to SARC in 1999, and review of the documentation and topographic maps, the human remains were determined to have originated from Omaha District property. Based on morphological characteristics the skull is determined to be Native American. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. The morphological characteristics of the cranium are indicative of Arikara PO 00000 Frm 00082 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 ancestry. Additionally, the Arikara generally practiced primary inhumation and the crania exhibits evidence of such a burial method (soil adherence and root etchings, along with lack of weathering). Ethnographic and historic records indicate Arikara villages were located in Potts County during the Extended (A.D. 1500–1675) and Post Contact Coalescent (A.D. 1675–1780). Based on the archeological, physical anthropological, and geographic evidence, the skull is affiliated with the Arikara. The Arikara are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation. Determinations Made by the Omaha District Officials of the Omaha District have determined that: • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described in this notice represent the physical remains of eight individuals of Native American ancestry. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(3)(A), the nine objects described in this notice are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of the death rite or ceremony. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects and the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota. Additional Requestors and Disposition Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and associated funerary objects should submit a written request with information in support of the request to Ms. Sandra Barnum, U.S. Army Engineer District, Omaha, ATTN: CENWO–PM–AB, 1616 Capital Avenue, Omaha, NE 68102, telephone, (402) 995–2674, email sandra.v.barnum@ usace.army.mil, by May 5, 2016. After that date, if no additional requestors have come forward, transfer of control of the human remains and associated funerary objects to the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, may proceed. The Omaha District is responsible for notifying the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, that this notice has been published. E:\FR\FM\05APN1.SGM 05APN1 Federal Register / Vol. 81, No. 65 / Tuesday, April 5, 2016 / Notices Dated: March 10, 2016. Melanie O’Brien, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 2016–07771 Filed 4–4–16; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–P DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service [NPS–WASO–NAGPRA–20583: PPWOCRADN0–PCU00RP14.R50000] Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE., and State Archaeological Research Center, Rapid City, SD National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District (Omaha District), has completed an inventory of human remains and associated funerary objects, in consultation with the appropriate Indian tribes or Native Hawaiian organizations, and has determined that there is a cultural affiliation between the human remains and associated funerary objects and present-day Indian tribes or Native Hawaiian organizations. Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and associated funerary objects should submit a written request to the Omaha District. If no additional requestors come forward, transfer of control of the human remains and associated funerary objects to the lineal descendants, Indian tribes, or Native Hawaiian organizations stated in this notice may proceed. DATES: Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to request transfer of control of these human remains and associated funerary objects should submit a written request with information in support of the request to the Omaha District at the address in this notice by May 5, 2016. ADDRESSES: Ms. Sandra Barnum, U.S. Army Engineer District, Omaha, ATTN: CENWO–PM–AB, 1616 Capital Avenue, Omaha, NE 68102, telephone, (402) 995–2674, email sandra.v.barnum@ usace.army.mil. asabaliauskas on DSK3SPTVN1PROD with NOTICES SUMMARY: Notice is hereby given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: VerDate Sep<11>2014 17:18 Apr 04, 2016 Jkt 238001 of human remains and associated funerary objects under the control of the Omaha District. The human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from four sites in South Dakota—site 39CO19 in Corson County; 39CA117 (Stranded Squirrel) in Campbell County; site 39CA208 (Helb) in Campbell County; and site 39CA4 (Anton Rygh) in Campbell County. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. Consultation A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary objects was made by State Archaeological Research Center and Omaha District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota. History and Description of the Remains On an unknown date, human remains representing, at minimum, one individual were removed from site 39CO19 in Corson County, SD. They are presently located at the South Dakota State Archaeological Research Center (SARC) and are under the control of the Omaha District. Human remains of five co-mingled individuals and one associated funerary object were located by SARC between 1987 and 1988, but it is not clear if the human remains were removed in that time frame or if they were from a previously made collection that had been sent to SARC in the mid1980s. SARC transferred the human remains to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, where an inventory was completed. After return to SARC, the human remains were reburied at site 39ST15. A portion of Individual 5 was among the human remains reburied, but the pelvis was retained at the University of Tennessee on loan until 1995, when it was returned to SARC. The current collection at SARC consists of the pelvis from Individual 5, a female over 45 years of age. No known individuals were identified. The one associated funerary object is a single fragment of mammal cranium, which was found stored with the human remains. The original co-mingling of the five incomplete individuals suggests a secondary burial, possibly an ossuary. PO 00000 Frm 00083 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 19631 Based on burial type, archeological context, and physical anthropological review, the individuals from the site are Native American. Potts Village, site 39CO19, is an earth lodge village consisting of 35–50 house depressions, some of which are enclosed by a fortification ditch. Based on house types and artifacts, particularly the presence of LaRoche Ware ceramics, the village has been dated to the Extended Coalescent Tradition (A.D. 1500–1675). Both archeological and physical anthropological evidence indicates that the Extended Coalescent Tradition is ancestral Arikara. The Arikara are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation. In 1979, human remains representing, at minimum, two individuals and 14 associated funerary objects that were removed from site 39CA117 in Campbell County, SD. They are presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the Omaha District. The site was located in June 1979, during a survey of the east shore of Lake Oahe. Robert E. Pepperl, University of Nebraska, Department of Anthropology, mapped and tested the site in July 1979. Two individuals and 14 funerary objects were recovered from a burial pit slumping from the cutbank onto the lakeshore. The human remains, originally held at the University of Nebraska, were transferred to SARC in 1986, and then submitted to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, for inventory. These individuals were returned to SARC in 1987 and the majority of the human remains were reburied at site 39ST15. During a review of the collection in 2001, additional human remains from both individuals were found with the funerary objects at SARC. The human remains represent two adult males. Based on burial type and associated artifacts, archeological context, and original physical anthropological review, the individuals from the site are Native American. No known individuals were identified. The 14 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of charcoal fragments, 4 freshwater gastropod shells, and 9 ceramic body sherds. The Stranded Squirrel site, 39CA117, is a multicomponent occupation on the left bank of the Missouri River. The ceramic funerary objects associated with the burials indicate that the burials were associated with the later site occupation, the Extended Coalescent Variant (A.D. 1500–1675) of the Plains Village Tradition. The geographical location, physical characteristics of the human remains, and ceramics materials support an affiliation of the Extended E:\FR\FM\05APN1.SGM 05APN1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 81, Number 65 (Tuesday, April 5, 2016)]
[Notices]
[Pages 19629-19631]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2016-07771]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

[NPS-WASO-NAGPRA-20581; PPWOCRADN0-PCU00RP14.R50000]


Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army 
Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE., and State 
Archaeological Research Center, Rapid City, SD

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District (Omaha 
District), has completed an inventory of human remains and associated 
funerary objects, in consultation with the appropriate Indian tribes or 
Native Hawaiian organizations, and has determined that there is a 
cultural affiliation between the human remains and associated funerary 
objects and present-day Indian tribes or Native Hawaiian organizations. 
Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native 
Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to 
request transfer of control of these human remains and associated 
funerary objects should submit a written request to the Omaha District. 
If no additional requestors come forward, transfer of control of the 
human remains and associated funerary objects to the lineal 
descendants, Indian tribes, or Native Hawaiian organizations stated in 
this notice may proceed.

DATES: Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or 
Native Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to 
request transfer of control of these human remains and associated 
funerary objects should submit a written request with information in 
support of the request to the Omaha District at the address in this 
notice by May 5, 2016.

ADDRESSES: Ms. Sandra Barnum, U.S. Army Engineer District, Omaha, ATTN: 
CENWO-PM-AB, 1616 Capital Avenue, Omaha, NE 68102, telephone, (402) 
995-2674, email sandra.v.barnum@usace.army.mil.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is hereby given in accordance with 
the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 
U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains and 
associated funerary objects under the control of the Omaha District. 
The human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from 
four sites in South Dakota--site 39SL45 (Ft. Sully II) in Sully County; 
site 39ST15 in Stanley County; site 39WW89, Walworth County; and an 
unidentified site in Potter County.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The 
determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National 
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.

Consultation

    A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary 
objects was made by State Archaeological Research Center and Omaha 
District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the 
Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota.

History and Description of the Remains

    In 1971 or 1972, human remains representing, at minimum, one 
individual were removed from site 39SL45, Fort Sully II in Sully 
County, SD. They are presently located at the South Dakota State 
Archaeological Research Center (SARC) and are under the control of the 
Omaha District.
    A human cranium and mammal bones were discovered in a storage unit 
in Hughes County, SD, in September 2001, and turned over to the County 
Sheriff's office. The human remains were determined to be of 
archeological origin and transported to SARC. It was established that 
the human remains were removed by a private citizen while diving in the 
Missouri River near Old Fort Sully (39SL45) in 1971 or 1972. Fort Sully 
II was an active U.S. Army post between 1866 and 1894, and just south 
of the post were two multicomponent village sites, Fort Sully Village 
(36SL4) and the Glasshoff site (39SL42). It is possible the skull 
originated from one of the two village sites. Based on morphological 
characteristics consistent with a Plain Village population, the human 
remains are determined to be Native American. No known individual was 
identified. The 6 associated funerary objects are mammal bone 
fragments.
    Site 39SL4 was occupied during the Extended (A.D. 1500-1675) and 
Post Contact (A.D. 1675-1780) Coalescent

[[Page 19630]]

variants of the Plans Village tradition. Site 39SL42 was occupied 
during the Extended Middle Missouri variant (A.D. 1000-1500). 
Archeological, physical anthropological, geographical, and ethnographic 
evidence indicates that the Extended Coalescent and Post Contact 
Traditions are ancestral Arikara. Archeological, geographical, and 
physical anthropological evidence suggests that the Extended Middle 
Missouri variant is ancestral to the Mandan. Both the Arikara and 
Mandan are represented today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort 
Berthold Reservation.
    In 1984 and 1985, human remains representing, at minimum, three 
individuals were removed from site 39ST15, Indian Creek Village in 
Stanley County, SD. They are presently located at the SARC and are 
under the control of the Omaha District.
    During excavation, three isolated teeth, representing three 
individuals, were removed from the Indian Creek Village Site, 39ST15, 
but were not identified as human at that time. The collections from the 
site were at the Archeology Laboratory, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, 
until 1995, when they were transferred to SARC. In 1997, the teeth were 
identified as human. Associated records indicate that teeth were found 
in features within two separate houses at the site. Based on the 
archeological context, the human remains are determined to be Native 
American. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary 
objects are present.
    Three variants of the Plains Village Tradition are represented at 
the multicomponent earth lodge village site 39ST15--Extended Middle 
Missouri (A.D. 1000-1500), Extended (A.D. 1500-1675), and Post Contact 
Coalescent (A.D. 1675-1780). Individual 1 is mostly likely associated 
with the Extended Middle Missouri component, and Individuals 2 and 3 
are most likely associated with the Post Contact Coalescent component. 
Archeological, physical anthropological, historical, ethnographic, and 
geographical evidence support that Middle Missouri as being ancestral 
to the Mandan, and the Post Contact Coalescent as being ancestral to 
the Arikara. Both the Arikara and Mandan are represented today by the 
Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation.
    In 1979 and 1982, human remains representing, at minimum, three 
individuals were removed from site 39WW89 in Walworth County, SD. They 
are presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the 
Omaha District.
    The human remains were removed during two separate investigations. 
In 1979, the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, surveyed the east shore 
of Lake Oahe and removed human bone fragments representing two 
individuals, along with a single lithic flake from the surface. In 
1982, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, conducted test excavations at the 
site and removed the human remains of three individuals and two 
associated funerary objects; human remains from two of the individuals 
removed in 1982 were determined to be portions of the individuals 
removed in 1979. The collection was transferred to SARC in 1984, and 
the human remains were inventoried by the University of Tennessee, 
Knoxville, and then reburied in 1991, near Ft. Pierre, SD. In 1999, the 
human remains from the Augustana College investigation and all the 
associated funerary objects were located by SARC in their collections. 
Based on the archeological context and associated funerary objects, the 
human remains are determined to be Native American. No known 
individuals were identified. The 3 associated funerary objects are 1 
lithic tool and 2 lithic flakes.
    Based on radiometric dating, the site was used between A.D. 1400-
1560, a time period that includes two archeologically defined 
components, the Extended Middle Missouri (A.D. 1000-1500) and the 
Extended Coalescent (A.D. 1500-1675) variants of the Plan Village 
Tradition. Based on architecture, artifact types, geographical 
location, and physical anthropological data, the Extended Middle 
Missouri populations are ancestral Mandan and the Extended Coalescent 
are ancestral Arikara. Both the Mandan and the Arikara are represented 
today by the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation.
    In 1963, human remains representing, at minimum, 1 individual were 
removed from an unidentified site in Potter County, SD. They are 
presently located at the SARC and are under the control of the Omaha 
District.
    In April 1999, a human skull was donated to the Nebraska State 
Historical Society, Lincoln. The skull was reported to be removed along 
the Missouri River near Gettysburg, SD. After transfer to SARC in 1999, 
and review of the documentation and topographic maps, the human remains 
were determined to have originated from Omaha District property. Based 
on morphological characteristics the skull is determined to be Native 
American. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary 
objects are present.
    The morphological characteristics of the cranium are indicative of 
Arikara ancestry. Additionally, the Arikara generally practiced primary 
inhumation and the crania exhibits evidence of such a burial method 
(soil adherence and root etchings, along with lack of weathering). 
Ethnographic and historic records indicate Arikara villages were 
located in Potts County during the Extended (A.D. 1500-1675) and Post 
Contact Coalescent (A.D. 1675-1780). Based on the archeological, 
physical anthropological, and geographic evidence, the skull is 
affiliated with the Arikara. The Arikara are represented today by the 
Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation.

Determinations Made by the Omaha District

    Officials of the Omaha District have determined that:
     Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described 
in this notice represent the physical remains of eight individuals of 
Native American ancestry.
     Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(3)(A), the nine objects 
described in this notice are reasonably believed to have been placed 
with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as 
part of the death rite or ceremony.
     Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of 
shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native 
American human remains and associated funerary objects and the Three 
Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota.

Additional Requestors and Disposition

    Lineal descendants or representatives of any Indian tribe or Native 
Hawaiian organization not identified in this notice that wish to 
request transfer of control of these human remains and associated 
funerary objects should submit a written request with information in 
support of the request to Ms. Sandra Barnum, U.S. Army Engineer 
District, Omaha, ATTN: CENWO-PM-AB, 1616 Capital Avenue, Omaha, NE 
68102, telephone, (402) 995-2674, email sandra.v.barnum@usace.army.mil, 
by May 5, 2016. After that date, if no additional requestors have come 
forward, transfer of control of the human remains and associated 
funerary objects to the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold 
Reservation, North Dakota, may proceed.
    The Omaha District is responsible for notifying the Three 
Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, that 
this notice has been published.


[[Page 19631]]


    Dated: March 10, 2016.
Melanie O'Brien,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 2016-07771 Filed 4-4-16; 8:45 am]
 BILLING CODE 4312-50-P