Notice of Inventory Completion: Arkansas State University Museum, Jonesboro, AR, 5202-5203 [2013-01347]

Download as PDF 5202 Federal Register / Vol. 78, No. 16 / Thursday, January 24, 2013 / Notices Washington (previously listed as the Tulalip Tribes of the Tulalip Reservation, Washington); and the Upper Skagit Indian Tribe (hereafter all tribes listed in this section are referred to as ‘‘The Consulted and Notified Tribes’’). History and Description of the Remains At an unknown date, most likely prior to 1955, human remains representing, at minimum, one individual (Specimen #6) were removed from an unknown area most likely within the Lincoln County, WA. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. erowe on DSK2VPTVN1PROD with Determinations Made by the University of Washington, Department of Anthropology Officials of the University of Washington, Department of Anthropology, have determined that: • Based on cranial morphology, the human remains are Native American. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), a relationship of shared group identity cannot be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and any present-day Indian tribe. • According to final judgments of the Indian Claims Commission, the land from which the Native American human remains were removed is the aboriginal land of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and the Spokane Tribe of the Spokane Reservation. • Multiple lines of evidence, including treaties, Acts of Congress, and Executive Orders, indicate that the land from which the Native American human remains were removed is the aboriginal land of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and the Spokane Tribe of the Spokane Reservation. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described in this notice represent the physical remains of one individual of Native American ancestry. • Pursuant to 43 CFR 10.11(c)(1), the disposition of the human remains may be to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and the Spokane Tribe of the Spokane Reservation. Additional Requestors and Disposition Representatives of any Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains or any other Indian tribe that believes it satisfies the criteria in 43 CFR 10.11(c)(1) should contact Peter Lape, Burke Museum, University of Washington, Box 353010, Seattle, WA 98195, telephone (206) 685–3849, before February 25, 2013. Disposition of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and VerDate Mar<15>2010 15:12 Jan 23, 2013 Jkt 229001 the Spokane Tribe of the Spokane Reservation may proceed after that date if no additional requestors come forward. The University of Washington, Department of Anthropology is responsible for notifying The Consulted and Notified Tribes that this notice has been published. responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. Dated: December 21, 2012. Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. Consultation A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by Arkansas State University Museum and Arkansas Archaeological Survey professional staffs in consultation with representatives of the Quapaw Tribe of Indians and The Osage Nation. [FR Doc. 2013–01321 Filed 1–23–13; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–P DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR History and Description of the Remains Sometime prior to 1977, human remains representing, at minimum, one individual were removed from an Notice of Inventory Completion: unknown location, most likely in Arkansas State University Museum, Poinsett County, AR. In June 1977, the Jonesboro, AR human remains were donated by Mr. Curtis Noble of Poinsett County, AR, to AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior. the Arkansas State University Museum. ACTION: Notice. No known individual was identified. No SUMMARY: The Arkansas State University associated funerary items are present. Museum has completed an inventory of The remains were donated by Mr. Curtis Noble as part of his procured collection. human remains, in consultation with The donation record states the the appropriate Indian tribes, and has collection contains ‘‘objects [Noble] determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. collected, mostly from Poinsett County, 3001(2), there is a cultural affiliation over a 40 year period.’’ Although the between the human remains and a specific location of removal is present-day Indian tribe. unknown, museum officials reasonably Representatives of any Indian tribe that believe that the remains were removed believes itself to be culturally affiliated from Poinsett County. with the human remains may contact In 1958, human remains representing, the Arkansas State University Museum. at minimum, three individuals were Repatriation of the human remains to the Indian tribe stated below may occur removed from the Cherry Valley Mounds (site 3CS40), in Cross County, if no additional claimants come AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas forward. State University. The remains were DATES: Representatives of any Indian subsequently donated to the Arkansas tribe that believes it has a cultural State University Museum in November affiliation with the human remains of 1958. No known individuals were should contact the Arkansas State identified. No associated funerary University Museum at the address objects are present. Situated on the west below by February 25, 2013. side of Crowley’s Ridge, the site ADDRESSES: Dr. Marti Allen, Director, consisted of four mounds numbered one Arkansas State University Museum, P.O. through four and was originally Box 490, State University, Jonesboro, excavated by the Gilcrease Institute of AR 72467, telephone (870) 972–2074. Oklahoma. Dr. Wittlake was given SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is permission by the Gilcrease Institute to here given in accordance with the excavate only at mound number four. Native American Graves Protection and Non-funerary artifacts removed from the Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. site date the human remains to the 3003, of the completion of an inventory Mississippian Period (A.D. 1050–1400). Between 1957 and 1958, human of human remains under the control of remains representing, at minimum, four Arkansas State University Museum, individuals were removed from the Jonesboro, AR. The human remains were removed from the St. Francis River Walnut Mound (site 3PO57), in Poinsett County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Valley region in Cross and Poinsett Arkansas State University. The human counties, AR. This notice is published as part of the remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum National Park Service’s administrative National Park Service [NPS–WASO–NAGPRA–11961; 2200–1100– 665] PO 00000 Frm 00039 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 E:\FR\FM\24JAN1.SGM 24JAN1 erowe on DSK2VPTVN1PROD with Federal Register / Vol. 78, No. 16 / Thursday, January 24, 2013 / Notices in 1958. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. The site contained a mound, about 40 feet in diameter and three feet in height, located in a swamp south of Hood Lake and north of Weiner in Poinsett County, AR. Archeological evidence shows that an Archaic village stratum (2000–1000 B.C.), was covered by a Late Baytown burial mound during the Late Woodland Period (A.D. 400– 700). The four individuals were discovered in this burial mound. Early Mississippian (A.D. 700–900) occupation of the site is also attested by the presence of shell tempered ceramic sherds. Between 1959 and 1964, human remains representing, at minimum, 103 individuals were removed from Ballard Mound (site 3PO115), in Poinsett County, AR by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State University. The remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum later that same year. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Ballard Mound was excavated between 1959 and 1964 by Dr. Wittlake. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the human remains to the Cherry Valley Phase of the Early Mississippian Period (A.D. 1050–1150). Sometime between 1956 and 1960, human remains representing, at minimum, 16 individuals were removed from the McDuffee site (3CG21), in Craighead County, AR, by unknown individuals. The remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum between 1956 and 1960. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Excavation records for this site from the Gilcrease Museum in Oklahoma show that the site consisted of a ‘‘large village with two mounds.’’ Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the human remains to the Middle Mississippian Period (A.D. 1170–1300). Sometime prior to 1957, human remains representing, at minimum, 14 individuals were removed from the Huber Site, in Poinsett County, AR, by unknown individuals. The remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum in September of 1957. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Although no excavation records exist for this site, discussions with a descendant of the site owner suggest that there were at least four mounds on the property. All four mounds have now been land leveled. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the human remains to VerDate Mar<15>2010 15:12 Jan 23, 2013 Jkt 229001 the Mississippian Period (A.D. 900– 1500). Sometime prior to 1961, human remains representing, at minimum, one individual were removed from the Judd Hill Plantation site, in Poinsett County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State University. The remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum in July of 1961. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the human remains anywhere from the Middle Woodland Period (A.D. 1–500) to the Middle Mississippian Period (A.D. 1170–1300). In 1957, human remains representing, at minimum, three individuals were removed from the Miller site (3PO24), in Poinsett County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State Unviersity. The remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum in November of 1957. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the human remains to the Mississippian Period (A.D. 1050–1400). Oral history evidence presented by representatives of the Quapaw Tribe of Indians indicates that the St. Francis River Valley region, which includes Cross and Poinsett counties, has long been included in the traditional and hunting territory of the Quapaw. French colonial records (A.D. 1700) also indicate that the Quapaw were known to be the only Native American group present at that time in the St. Francis River valley region. Determinations Made by the Arkansas State University Museum Officials of the Arkansas State University Museum have determined that: • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of a minimum of 145 individuals of Native American ancestry. • Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Quapaw Tribe of Indians. Additional Requestors and Disposition Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Dr. Marti Allen, Director, Arkansas State University Museum, P.O. Box 490, State University, Jonesboro, AR 72467, telephone (870)-972–2074, PO 00000 Frm 00040 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 5203 before February 25, 2013. Repatriation of the human remains to the Quapaw Tribe of Indians may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Arkansas State University Museum is responsible for notifying the Quapaw Tribe of Indians and The Osage Nation that this notice has been published. Dated: December 18, 2012. David Tarler, Acting Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 2013–01347 Filed 1–23–13; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–P DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service [NPS–AKR–ANIA–DENA–WRST–11950; PPAKAKROR4, PPMPRLE1Y.LS0000] Notice of Open Public Meetings for the National Park Service Alaska Region Subsistence Resource Commission (SRC) Program National Park Service (NPS), Interior. ACTION: Meeting notice. AGENCY: As required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (Pub. L. 92– 463, 86 Stat. 770), the NPS is hereby giving notice that the Aniakchak National Monument SRC, Denali National Park SRC, and the Wrangell-St. Elias SRC will hold meetings to develop and continue work on NPS subsistence program recommendations and other related subsistence management issues. The NPS SRC program is authorized under Title VIII, Section 808 of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act, Public Law 96–487. Public Availability of Comments: These meetings are open to the public and will have time allocated for public testimony. The public is welcome to present written or oral comments to the SRC. The meetings will be recorded and meeting minutes will be available upon request from the park superintendent for public inspection approximately six weeks after the meeting. Before including your address, telephone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment—including your personal identifying information—may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so. SUMMARY: E:\FR\FM\24JAN1.SGM 24JAN1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 78, Number 16 (Thursday, January 24, 2013)]
[Notices]
[Pages 5202-5203]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2013-01347]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

[NPS-WASO-NAGPRA-11961; 2200-1100-665]


Notice of Inventory Completion: Arkansas State University Museum, 
Jonesboro, AR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The Arkansas State University Museum has completed an 
inventory of human remains, in consultation with the appropriate Indian 
tribes, and has determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there 
is a cultural affiliation between the human remains and a present-day 
Indian tribe. Representatives of any Indian tribe that believes itself 
to be culturally affiliated with the human remains may contact the 
Arkansas State University Museum. Repatriation of the human remains to 
the Indian tribe stated below may occur if no additional claimants come 
forward.

DATES: Representatives of any Indian tribe that believes it has a 
cultural affiliation with the human remains should contact the Arkansas 
State University Museum at the address below by February 25, 2013.

ADDRESSES: Dr. Marti Allen, Director, Arkansas State University Museum, 
P.O. Box 490, State University, Jonesboro, AR 72467, telephone (870) 
972-2074.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is here given in accordance with the 
Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 
U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains under 
the control of Arkansas State University Museum, Jonesboro, AR. The 
human remains were removed from the St. Francis River Valley region in 
Cross and Poinsett counties, AR.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The 
determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National 
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.

Consultation

    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by Arkansas 
State University Museum and Arkansas Archaeological Survey professional 
staffs in consultation with representatives of the Quapaw Tribe of 
Indians and The Osage Nation.

History and Description of the Remains

    Sometime prior to 1977, human remains representing, at minimum, one 
individual were removed from an unknown location, most likely in 
Poinsett County, AR. In June 1977, the human remains were donated by 
Mr. Curtis Noble of Poinsett County, AR, to the Arkansas State 
University Museum. No known individual was identified. No associated 
funerary items are present. The remains were donated by Mr. Curtis 
Noble as part of his procured collection. The donation record states 
the collection contains ``objects [Noble] collected, mostly from 
Poinsett County, over a 40 year period.'' Although the specific 
location of removal is unknown, museum officials reasonably believe 
that the remains were removed from Poinsett County.
    In 1958, human remains representing, at minimum, three individuals 
were removed from the Cherry Valley Mounds (site 3CS40), in Cross 
County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State University. The 
remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University 
Museum in November of 1958. No known individuals were identified. No 
associated funerary objects are present. Situated on the west side of 
Crowley's Ridge, the site consisted of four mounds numbered one through 
four and was originally excavated by the Gilcrease Institute of 
Oklahoma. Dr. Wittlake was given permission by the Gilcrease Institute 
to excavate only at mound number four. Non-funerary artifacts removed 
from the site date the human remains to the Mississippian Period (A.D. 
1050-1400).
    Between 1957 and 1958, human remains representing, at minimum, four 
individuals were removed from the Walnut Mound (site 3PO57), in 
Poinsett County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State 
University. The human remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas 
State University Museum

[[Page 5203]]

in 1958. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary 
objects are present. The site contained a mound, about 40 feet in 
diameter and three feet in height, located in a swamp south of Hood 
Lake and north of Weiner in Poinsett County, AR. Archeological evidence 
shows that an Archaic village stratum (2000-1000 B.C.), was covered by 
a Late Baytown burial mound during the Late Woodland Period (A.D. 400-
700). The four individuals were discovered in this burial mound. Early 
Mississippian (A.D. 700-900) occupation of the site is also attested by 
the presence of shell tempered ceramic sherds.
    Between 1959 and 1964, human remains representing, at minimum, 103 
individuals were removed from Ballard Mound (site 3PO115), in Poinsett 
County, AR by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State University. The 
remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University 
Museum later that same year. No known individuals were identified. No 
associated funerary objects are present. Ballard Mound was excavated 
between 1959 and 1964 by Dr. Wittlake. Non-funerary artifacts removed 
from the site date the human remains to the Cherry Valley Phase of the 
Early Mississippian Period (A.D. 1050-1150).
    Sometime between 1956 and 1960, human remains representing, at 
minimum, 16 individuals were removed from the McDuffee site (3CG21), in 
Craighead County, AR, by unknown individuals. The remains were 
subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum between 
1956 and 1960. No known individuals were identified. No associated 
funerary objects are present. Excavation records for this site from the 
Gilcrease Museum in Oklahoma show that the site consisted of a ``large 
village with two mounds.'' Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site 
date the human remains to the Middle Mississippian Period (A.D. 1170-
1300).
    Sometime prior to 1957, human remains representing, at minimum, 14 
individuals were removed from the Huber Site, in Poinsett County, AR, 
by unknown individuals. The remains were subsequently donated to the 
Arkansas State University Museum in September of 1957. No known 
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present. Although no excavation records exist for this site, 
discussions with a descendant of the site owner suggest that there were 
at least four mounds on the property. All four mounds have now been 
land leveled. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the site date the 
human remains to the Mississippian Period (A.D. 900-1500).
    Sometime prior to 1961, human remains representing, at minimum, one 
individual were removed from the Judd Hill Plantation site, in Poinsett 
County, AR, by Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State University. The 
remains were subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University 
Museum in July of 1961. No known individual was identified. No 
associated funerary objects are present. Non-funerary artifacts removed 
from the site date the human remains anywhere from the Middle Woodland 
Period (A.D. 1-500) to the Middle Mississippian Period (A.D. 1170-
1300).
    In 1957, human remains representing, at minimum, three individuals 
were removed from the Miller site (3PO24), in Poinsett County, AR, by 
Dr. Eugene Wittlake of Arkansas State Unviersity. The remains were 
subsequently donated to the Arkansas State University Museum in 
November of 1957. No known individuals were identified. No associated 
funerary objects are present. Non-funerary artifacts removed from the 
site date the human remains to the Mississippian Period (A.D. 1050-
1400).
    Oral history evidence presented by representatives of the Quapaw 
Tribe of Indians indicates that the St. Francis River Valley region, 
which includes Cross and Poinsett counties, has long been included in 
the traditional and hunting territory of the Quapaw. French colonial 
records (A.D. 1700) also indicate that the Quapaw were known to be the 
only Native American group present at that time in the St. Francis 
River valley region.

Determinations Made by the Arkansas State University Museum

    Officials of the Arkansas State University Museum have determined 
that:
     Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described 
above represent the physical remains of a minimum of 145 individuals of 
Native American ancestry.
     Pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of 
shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native 
American human remains and the Quapaw Tribe of Indians.

Additional Requestors and Disposition

    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Dr. 
Marti Allen, Director, Arkansas State University Museum, P.O. Box 490, 
State University, Jonesboro, AR 72467, telephone (870)-972-2074, before 
February 25, 2013. Repatriation of the human remains to the Quapaw 
Tribe of Indians may proceed after that date if no additional claimants 
come forward.
    The Arkansas State University Museum is responsible for notifying 
the Quapaw Tribe of Indians and The Osage Nation that this notice has 
been published.

    Dated: December 18, 2012.
David Tarler,
Acting Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 2013-01347 Filed 1-23-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-P