Notice of Inventory Completion: Public Museum of West Michigan, Grand Rapids, MI, 36673-36676 [2010-15576]

Download as PDF Federal Register / Vol. 75, No. 123 / Monday, June 28, 2010 / Notices Officials of the Burke Museum have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains listed above represent the physical remains of at least one individual of Native American ancestry. Officials of the Burke Museum also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Lummi Tribe of the Lummi Reservation, Washington; Samish Indian Tribe, Washington; and Swinomish Indians of the Swinomish Reservation, Washington. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Dr. Peter Lape, Burke Museum, University of Washington, Box 353010, Seattle, WA 98195, telephone (206) 685–3849, before July 28, 2010. Repatriation of the human remains to the Lummi Tribe of the Lummi Reservation, Washington; Samish Indian Tribe, Washington; and Swinomish Indians of the Swinomish Reservation, Washington, may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Burke Museum is responsible for notifying the Lummi Tribe of the Lummi Reservation, Washington; Samish Indian Tribe, Washington; and Swinomish Indians of the Swinomish Reservation, Washington, that this notice has been published. Dated: June 22, 2010 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 2010–15595 Filed 6–25–10; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: Public Museum of West Michigan, Grand Rapids, MI National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: jlentini on DSKJ8SOYB1PROD with NOTICES ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary objects in the control of the Public Museum of West Michigan (Grand Rapids Public Museum), Grand Rapids, MI. The human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from Allegan, Berrien, Cass, Grand Traverse, VerDate Mar<15>2010 21:02 Jun 25, 2010 Jkt 220001 Kalamazoo, Kent, Montcalm, Ottawa, St. Joseph, and Wayne Counties, MI. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary objects was made by Public Museum of West Michigan officials in consultation with the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Citizen Potawatomi Nation, Oklahoma; Forest County Potawatomi Community, Wisconsin; Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Hannahville Indian Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-benash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi, Michigan (formerly the Huron Potawatomi, Inc.); Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Prairie Band of Potawatomi Nation, Kansas; Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians, Minnesota; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan. In addition, the museum also consulted with the following nonfederally recognized Indian groups: Burt Lake Band of Ottawa & Chippewa and the Grand River Bands of Ottawa. In 1956, human remains representing a minimum of four individuals were removed from an unknown site near Saugatuck, Allegan County, MI. The human remains and associated funerary objects were excavated by the museum with the assistance of Dr. E.F. Greenman. No known individuals were identified. The 12 associated funerary objects are 5 shell beads, 1 flint spear, 2 lots of red ochre, 1 shell bracelet, 1 lot of bird bone, 1 flint flake, and 1 projectile point fragment. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from an unknown site in Allegan County, MI. At an unknown date, the ‘‘Hibellink Estate’’ acquired the human remains. At an unknown date, Harvey Bouknegt acquired the human remains from the PO 00000 Frm 00045 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 36673 ‘‘Hibellink Estate.’’ At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the human remains from Harvey Bouknegt. In 1974, the museum acquired the human remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from the Niles area, Berrien County, MI. In 1890– 1892, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of four individuals were removed from Walter Mounds 1 & 2 (20CS31), Cass County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The 33 associated funerary objects are 1 Busycon shell dipper, 16 lots of bone awls and fragments, 1 grinding stone, 1 stone dish, 3 fired clay balls, 5 pottery shards, 1 boatstone, 1 drilled bear tooth, 2 lots of polished bone, 1 pottery vessel, and 1 lot of turtle carapace fragments. In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from Merrit Mound 5 (20CS31), Cass County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The 32 associated funerary objects are 2 pottery vessels, 1 polished sandstone fragment, 5 projectile points, 1 drilled talon, 1 lot of pottery shards, 8 individual pottery shards, 1 lot of mica fragments, 1 lot of flint flakes, 1 copper nugget, 1 vial of pyrite, 4 vials of sand, 2 vials of red ochre, 1 metal tin containing red ochre, 1 vial of lavender pigment, and 2 vials of yellow ochre. In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals were removed from Kibler Mound #12 (20CS6), Cass County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The 27 associated funerary objects are 1 slate gorget, 1 lot of wood fragments, 1 lot of fired clay balls, 4 lots E:\FR\FM\28JNN1.SGM 28JNN1 jlentini on DSKJ8SOYB1PROD with NOTICES 36674 Federal Register / Vol. 75, No. 123 / Monday, June 28, 2010 / Notices of flint flakes, 1 mica sheet, 2 projectile point fragments, 1 metal tin containing pyrite, 3 projectile points, 1 flint biface, 6 pottery shards, 1 graphite cobble, 1 sandstone abrader, 1 animal bone fragment, 1 lot of bone awl fragments, 1 mussel shell, and 1 sample of clay with animal bones. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from an unknown site in Grand Traverse County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The three associated funerary objects are one shell, one antler fragment, and one flint scraper. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from an unknown site in the Kalamazoo area, Kalamazoo County, MI. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the human remains. In 1974, the human remains were donated to the Grand Rapids Public Museum from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. In 1964, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from the Myers Lake Site (20KT185), Kent County, MI, by John Michell. The human remains and associated funerary object were inadvertently discovered by John Michell while excavating a basement. In 1964, the human remains were donated by John Michell to the museum. No known individuals were identified. The one associated funerary object is a pottery vessel. At an unknown date in the early 1960s, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals were removed from the Hidden Hills site (20KT166), Kent County, MI, after being inadvertently discovered during construction for a subdivision by property owner Gar-Mar Inc. In 1968, Gar-Mar Inc. donated the human remains and associated funerary object to the museum. No known individuals were identified. The one associated funerary object is a nearly complete pottery vessel. In 1962, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals were removed from the Plaster Creek site, Kent County, MI. The human remains were donated to the museum by Chris Hesse. These remains were found by children, and were reportedly eroding into Plaster Creek. No known VerDate Mar<15>2010 21:02 Jun 25, 2010 Jkt 220001 individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. In 1962–1964, human remains representing a minimum of 48 individuals were removed from Norton Mounds (20KT1), Kent County, MI. This site was excavated by staff from the University of Michigan in cooperation with the Grand Rapids Public Museum. The collection is extensively documented in a report by Griffin, Flanders and Titterington (1970). No known individuals were identified. The 563 associated funerary objects are 28 pottery vessels, 8 clam shells, 22 lots of mussel shells and fragments, 13 Busycon shells dippers and fragments, 9 soil samples, 5 lots of pyrite, 6 lots of red ochre, 2 platform pipes, 2 slate artifacts and fragments, 54 lots of flakes and chert fragments, 40 lots of pottery shards, 1 porcelain fragment, 2 calcined bones, 119 bone awls and fragments, 16 lots of antler fragments, 36 lots of turtle shell carapaces and fragments, 7 bear canines and teeth, 8 animal mandibles and fragments, 33 lots of beaver incisors, 35 projectile points, 3 scrapers, 2 charcoal samples, 6 lots of mica sheets and fragments, 3 hammerstones, 1 lot of copper beads, 5 lots of shell beads, 11 talons, 1 lot of bobcat phalanges, 5 copper awls, 3 copper celts, 3 pearls, 1 lot of wolf claws, 1 carbon sample, 1 skunk skeleton, 1 historic ceramic, 1 lot of hematite, 18 lots of bone pins, 15 biface performs, 1 lot of copper fragments, 3 grinding stones, 4 animal bones, 1 conch shell, 1 celt, 1 drilled bear canine effigy, 1 lot of yellow ochre, 12 lots of unidentified shells and fragments, 1 lot of bird bones, 3 bird beaks, 1 chert drill, 1 unidentified canine, 1 unidentified claw, 2 antler points, and 3 silver brooches. In 1931, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from Wilcox Park, Kent County, MI, by the Grand Rapids Police Department. The circumstances of the removal are unclear, but the human remains appear to have been inadvertently discovered. In 1931, the human remains and associated funerary objects were donated to the Grand Rapids Public Museum by the Grand Rapids Police Department. No known individual was identified. The two associated funerary objects are a shell gorget and marine shell. In 1965, human remains representing a minimum of seven individuals were removed from the Esler Site (20KT156), Kent County, MI. The human remains and associated funerary objects were inadvertently discovered during a construction project and subsequently excavated by the Grand Rapids Public Museum. No known individuals were PO 00000 Frm 00046 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 identified. The 67 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of fire cracked rock, 1 lot of angular debris, 1 awl, 1 lot of flakes, 1 ground stone, 1 lot of projectile points, 1 lot of shell fragments, 1 lot of animal bone, 1 animal bone fragment, 3 lots of historic pottery shards, 13 historic bottles, 3 historic bottle bases, 2 lots of bottle fragments, 3 bottle necks, 1 lot of brick, 14 lots of glass fragments, 1 lot of historic ceramic handles, 1 hinge, 1 historic hook, 2 historic jars, 1 lot of nails, 1 reflector fragment, 9 lots of rim shards, 1 shell, 1 stoneware fragment, and 1 teacup. In 1956, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from the farm of August Knopf, Montcalm County, MI, by two hunters who observed the remains eroding from a sandy bank. The human remains and associated funerary objects were donated by the landowner, Mr. August Knopf, to the Wright L. Coffinberry chapter of the Michigan Archaeological Society. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the human remains and associated funerary objects from the Michigan Archaeological Society. In 1974, Ruth Herrick donated the human remains and associated funerary objects to the museum by bequest. No known individual was identified. The 11 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of woven fiber fragments, 1 lot of shell beads, 1 lot of copper hair pipes, 1 lot of copper hair pipe fragments, 1 lot of bark and wood fragments, 1 lot of organic fiber and sand, 1 lot of wood fragments, 1 lot of sand, 2 lots of sand with bone fragments, and 1 lot of organic blanket fragments. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of five individuals were removed from an unknown site in Montcalm County, MI. At an unknown date, C.R. Sligh acquired the human remains. In 1893, the human remains were purchased by the museum from C.R. Sligh. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. At an unknown date, a human remain representing a minimum of one individual was removed from an unknown site, possibly in Montcalm County, MI. At an unknown date, C.R. Sligh acquired the human remain. In 1893, the human remain was purchased by the museum from C.R. Sligh. The human remain is described as ‘‘Skull of Moundbuilder’’ in early museum records and was given the accession number 30185. While there is no documented provenience in early museum records, museum documentation indicates that the human remains described above from Montcalm County, MI, were acquired E:\FR\FM\28JNN1.SGM 28JNN1 jlentini on DSKJ8SOYB1PROD with NOTICES Federal Register / Vol. 75, No. 123 / Monday, June 28, 2010 / Notices from the donor in the same accession. The collecting history of the donor and the accession of the skull together with the accession of human remains from Montcalm County indicate that, more likely than not, the skull was removed from Montcalm County, MI. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. In 1942, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals were removed from the Lamont area, Ottawa County, MI, by Mr. A.E. Bonner. Museum documentation indicates the remains were inadvertently discovered during excavation of a basement. In 1942, Mr. A.E. Bonner gifted the remains to Ruth Herrick. In 1974, the museum acquired the human remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. In 1969, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from a burial at the Paggeot Site (20OT89), Ottawa County, MI, by the Grand Rapids Public Museum and Grand Valley State University. The Grand Rapids Public Museum and Grand Valley State University collaboratively excavated the burial, which was eroding from the banks of the Grand River. No known individual was identified. The 13 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of flint angular debris, 5 lots of prehistoric body pottery shards, 1 pottery vessel, 1 pottery vessel cast, 1 lot of prehistoric pottery fragments, 1 lot of prehistoric rim fragments, 1 lot of sand, and 2 lots of shell. In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of seven individuals were removed from Scott Mounds (20SJ2), St. Joseph County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and artifacts. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The 20 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of copper nuggets, 1 spear point, 2 bone fragments, 2 drills, 2 flakes, 3 knives, 2 scrapers, 1 lot of mica, 1 shell, 1 lot of turtle shell fragments, 1 pottery shard, 2 lots of red ochre, and 1 lot of fabric. In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals were removed from Marantette Mounds (20SJ1), St. Joseph County, MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and artifacts. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were identified. The 11 associated funerary objects are 1 VerDate Mar<15>2010 21:02 Jun 25, 2010 Jkt 220001 scraper, 1 lot of mica fragments, 1 projectile point, 1 spear point, 3 awl fragments, 1 animal canine, 1 drilled bear tooth, and 2 animal mandibles. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from an unknown site in Wayne County, MI. Museum documentation indicates the remains came from an ‘‘Indian Village site’’ in Wayne County. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the human remains. In 1974, the museum acquired the human remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Officials of the Public Museum of West Michigan have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of 104 individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the Public Museum of West Michigan have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(3)(A), the 796 items described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of a death rite or ceremony and are believed, by a preponderance of the evidence, to have been removed from a specific burial site of a Native American individual. Lastly, officials of the Public Museum of West Michigan have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), a relationship of shared group identity cannot reasonably be traced between the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects and any present-day Indian tribe. The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Review Committee (Review Committee) is responsible for recommending specific actions for disposition of culturally unidentifiable human remains. On July 29, 2009, the Public Museum of West Michigan requested that the Review Committee recommend disposition of the culturally unidentifiable human remains and associated funerary objects to the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan, as well as the Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians, a non-federally PO 00000 Frm 00047 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 36675 recognized tribe, because the human remains and associated funerary objects were found within their aboriginal territory. The Review Committee considered the proposal at its October 30–31, 2009, meeting and recommended disposition of the human remains and associated funerary objects to the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians, a non-federally recognized Indian group; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan. The Secretary of the Interior concurred with the Review Committee’s recommendation. A March 25, 2010, letter from the Designated Federal Official, writing on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior, transmitted the authorization for the museum to effect disposition of the physical remains of the culturally unidentifiable individuals to the Indian tribes listed above contingent on the publication of a Notice of Inventory Completion in the Federal Register. This notice fulfills that requirement. In the same letter, the Secretary recommended the transfer of the associated funerary objects to the Indian tribes listed above to the extent allowed by Federal, state, or local law. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that wishes to claim ownership or control of the human remains and associated funerary objects should contact Marilyn Merdzinski, Director of Collections and Preservation, Public Museum, 272 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504, telephone (616) 929– 1801, before July 28, 2010. Disposition of the human remains and associated funerary objects to the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-benash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan; and the Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians, a E:\FR\FM\28JNN1.SGM 28JNN1 36676 Federal Register / Vol. 75, No. 123 / Monday, June 28, 2010 / Notices non-federally recognized Indian group, may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Public Museum of West Michigan is responsible for notifying the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Citizen Potawatomi Nation, Oklahoma; Forest County Potawatomi Community, Wisconsin; Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Hannahville Indian Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-benash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi, Michigan; Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Prairie Band of Potawatomi Nation, Kansas; Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians, Minnesota; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan; and the following non-federally recognized Indian groups: Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians and the Burt Lake Band of Ottawa & Chippewa, that this notice has been published. Dated: June 22, 2010 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 2010–15576 Filed 6–25–10; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City, MO National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: jlentini on DSKJ8SOYB1PROD with NOTICES ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains in the control of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City, MO. The human remains were removed from Oregon County, MO. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal VerDate Mar<15>2010 21:02 Jun 25, 2010 Jkt 220001 agency that has control of the Native American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. An assessment of the human remains was made by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Osage Nation, Oklahoma. The following tribes either requested additional information about the human remains, deferred to the Osage Nation, or stated that they did not have an interest in the human remains: Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma; Caddo Nation of Oklahoma; Chickasaw Nation, Oklahoma; Delaware Nation, Oklahoma; Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska; Kickapoo Tribe of Indians of the Kickapoo Reservation in Kansas; Muscogee (Creek) Nation, Oklahoma; Omaha Tribe of Nebraska; Ponca Tribe of Nebraska; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Wyandotte Nation, Oklahoma. The Osage Nation, Oklahoma, responded with interest, and has sent the Missouri Department of Natural Resources a request for repatriation. In November 2008, human remains representing a minimum of four individuals were removed from the Thayer Site, in Oregon County, MO. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. The human remains were removed following the initiation of a police investigation. In July 2008, local law enforcement was notified by a citizen that human remains were observed eroding from the cut bank of the Warm Fork of Spring River, and subsequently conducted excavations to determine if the site was a crime scene. A partial skull and other fragmentary remains were recovered, as well as unassociated prehistoric artifacts (possible Late Woodland potsherds and non-diagnostic lithic debitage) and one possible musket ball. Geomorphological data suggest a date of 1000 to 1200 BP for the human remains, which is consistent with the possible Late Woodland period. The police contacted the forensic anthropologist at the University of Missouri, Columbia, who in turn notified the Department of Natural Resources. After determining that stabilization of the bank and preservation in place was not a reasonable and prudent alternative, in November 2008, the human remains were removed from the site. The recovered remains were of partial burials, as an unknown portion of the burial site had already been lost to erosion. Observers from the Osage Nation, Oklahoma, were present throughout the excavation. In deference PO 00000 Frm 00048 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 9990 to the wishes of the tribe, analysis was confined to confirmation of Native American ancestry, and the human remains were put into a secure evidence locker at the Thayer Police Department. Oregon County is listed on the NAGPRA database as associated with Indian Land Cessions 1784–1894. The Great and Little Osage are named in a treaty. Their descendants are the present-day Osage Nation, Oklahoma. Tribal history and archeological and linguistic studies suggest that the ancestral Dhegiha Sioux populations were present in southern Missouri at the approximate time period estimated for the Thayer burial. The Osage are descended from the Dhegihan Sioux. Other related Dhegihan Sioux language group tribes with an interest in Missouri - Kaw, Omaha, Ponca and Quapaw have not expressed an interest in the Thayer burial or have deferred to the Osage and do not have a land cessions claim to Oregon County. Officials of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of a minimum of four individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Osage Nation, Oklahoma. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Judith Deel, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, P.O. Box 179, Jefferson City, MO 65101, telephone (573) 751–7862, before July 28, 2010. Repatriation of the human remains to the Osage Nation, Oklahoma, may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is responsible for notifying the Osage Nation, Oklahoma, that this notice has been published. Dated: June 22, 2010 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 2010–15574 Filed 6–25–10 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S E:\FR\FM\28JNN1.SGM 28JNN1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 75, Number 123 (Monday, June 28, 2010)]
[Notices]
[Pages 36673-36676]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2010-15576]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service


Notice of Inventory Completion: Public Museum of West Michigan, 
Grand Rapids, MI

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary 
objects in the control of the Public Museum of West Michigan (Grand 
Rapids Public Museum), Grand Rapids, MI. The human remains and 
associated funerary objects were removed from Allegan, Berrien, Cass, 
Grand Traverse, Kalamazoo, Kent, Montcalm, Ottawa, St. Joseph, and 
Wayne Counties, MI.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The 
determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National 
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary 
objects was made by Public Museum of West Michigan officials in 
consultation with the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Citizen 
Potawatomi Nation, Oklahoma; Forest County Potawatomi Community, 
Wisconsin; Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, 
Michigan; Hannahville Indian Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian 
Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa 
Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; 
Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-
she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Nottawaseppi Huron 
Band of the Potawatomi, Michigan (formerly the Huron Potawatomi, Inc.); 
Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan 
and Indiana; Prairie Band of Potawatomi Nation, Kansas; Red Lake Band 
of Chippewa Indians, Minnesota; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of 
Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of 
Chippewa Indians of Michigan. In addition, the museum also consulted 
with the following non-federally recognized Indian groups: Burt Lake 
Band of Ottawa & Chippewa and the Grand River Bands of Ottawa.
    In 1956, human remains representing a minimum of four individuals 
were removed from an unknown site near Saugatuck, Allegan County, MI. 
The human remains and associated funerary objects were excavated by the 
museum with the assistance of Dr. E.F. Greenman. No known individuals 
were identified. The 12 associated funerary objects are 5 shell beads, 
1 flint spear, 2 lots of red ochre, 1 shell bracelet, 1 lot of bird 
bone, 1 flint flake, and 1 projectile point fragment.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three 
individuals were removed from an unknown site in Allegan County, MI. At 
an unknown date, the ``Hibellink Estate'' acquired the human remains. 
At an unknown date, Harvey Bouknegt acquired the human remains from the 
``Hibellink Estate.'' At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the 
human remains from Harvey Bouknegt. In 1974, the museum acquired the 
human remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individuals 
were identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three 
individuals were removed from the Niles area, Berrien County, MI. In 
1890-1892, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains. In 1917, the museum 
purchased the human remains from the E.H. Crane estate. No known 
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present.
    In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of four individuals 
were removed from Walter Mounds 1 & 2 (20CS31), Cass County, MI. At an 
unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated 
funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and 
associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known 
individuals were identified. The 33 associated funerary objects are 1 
Busycon shell dipper, 16 lots of bone awls and fragments, 1 grinding 
stone, 1 stone dish, 3 fired clay balls, 5 pottery shards, 1 boatstone, 
1 drilled bear tooth, 2 lots of polished bone, 1 pottery vessel, and 1 
lot of turtle carapace fragments.
    In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were removed from Merrit Mound 5 (20CS31), Cass County, MI. At an 
unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated 
funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and 
associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known 
individuals were identified. The 32 associated funerary objects are 2 
pottery vessels, 1 polished sandstone fragment, 5 projectile points, 1 
drilled talon, 1 lot of pottery shards, 8 individual pottery shards, 1 
lot of mica fragments, 1 lot of flint flakes, 1 copper nugget, 1 vial 
of pyrite, 4 vials of sand, 2 vials of red ochre, 1 metal tin 
containing red ochre, 1 vial of lavender pigment, and 2 vials of yellow 
ochre.
    In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals 
were removed from Kibler Mound 12 (20CS6), Cass County, MI. At 
an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and associated 
funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and 
associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known 
individuals were identified. The 27 associated funerary objects are 1 
slate gorget, 1 lot of wood fragments, 1 lot of fired clay balls, 4 
lots

[[Page 36674]]

of flint flakes, 1 mica sheet, 2 projectile point fragments, 1 metal 
tin containing pyrite, 3 projectile points, 1 flint biface, 6 pottery 
shards, 1 graphite cobble, 1 sandstone abrader, 1 animal bone fragment, 
1 lot of bone awl fragments, 1 mussel shell, and 1 sample of clay with 
animal bones.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three 
individuals were removed from an unknown site in Grand Traverse County, 
MI. At an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and 
associated funerary objects. In 1917, the museum purchased the human 
remains and associated funerary objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No 
known individuals were identified. The three associated funerary 
objects are one shell, one antler fragment, and one flint scraper.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from an unknown site in the Kalamazoo area, 
Kalamazoo County, MI. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the 
human remains. In 1974, the human remains were donated to the Grand 
Rapids Public Museum from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known 
individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    In 1964, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals 
were removed from the Myers Lake Site (20KT185), Kent County, MI, by 
John Michell. The human remains and associated funerary object were 
inadvertently discovered by John Michell while excavating a basement. 
In 1964, the human remains were donated by John Michell to the museum. 
No known individuals were identified. The one associated funerary 
object is a pottery vessel.
    At an unknown date in the early 1960s, human remains representing a 
minimum of two individuals were removed from the Hidden Hills site 
(20KT166), Kent County, MI, after being inadvertently discovered during 
construction for a subdivision by property owner Gar-Mar Inc. In 1968, 
Gar-Mar Inc. donated the human remains and associated funerary object 
to the museum. No known individuals were identified. The one associated 
funerary object is a nearly complete pottery vessel.
    In 1962, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals 
were removed from the Plaster Creek site, Kent County, MI. The human 
remains were donated to the museum by Chris Hesse. These remains were 
found by children, and were reportedly eroding into Plaster Creek. No 
known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present.
    In 1962-1964, human remains representing a minimum of 48 
individuals were removed from Norton Mounds (20KT1), Kent County, MI. 
This site was excavated by staff from the University of Michigan in 
cooperation with the Grand Rapids Public Museum. The collection is 
extensively documented in a report by Griffin, Flanders and 
Titterington (1970). No known individuals were identified. The 563 
associated funerary objects are 28 pottery vessels, 8 clam shells, 22 
lots of mussel shells and fragments, 13 Busycon shells dippers and 
fragments, 9 soil samples, 5 lots of pyrite, 6 lots of red ochre, 2 
platform pipes, 2 slate artifacts and fragments, 54 lots of flakes and 
chert fragments, 40 lots of pottery shards, 1 porcelain fragment, 2 
calcined bones, 119 bone awls and fragments, 16 lots of antler 
fragments, 36 lots of turtle shell carapaces and fragments, 7 bear 
canines and teeth, 8 animal mandibles and fragments, 33 lots of beaver 
incisors, 35 projectile points, 3 scrapers, 2 charcoal samples, 6 lots 
of mica sheets and fragments, 3 hammerstones, 1 lot of copper beads, 5 
lots of shell beads, 11 talons, 1 lot of bobcat phalanges, 5 copper 
awls, 3 copper celts, 3 pearls, 1 lot of wolf claws, 1 carbon sample, 1 
skunk skeleton, 1 historic ceramic, 1 lot of hematite, 18 lots of bone 
pins, 15 biface performs, 1 lot of copper fragments, 3 grinding stones, 
4 animal bones, 1 conch shell, 1 celt, 1 drilled bear canine effigy, 1 
lot of yellow ochre, 12 lots of unidentified shells and fragments, 1 
lot of bird bones, 3 bird beaks, 1 chert drill, 1 unidentified canine, 
1 unidentified claw, 2 antler points, and 3 silver brooches.
    In 1931, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were removed from Wilcox Park, Kent County, MI, by the Grand Rapids 
Police Department. The circumstances of the removal are unclear, but 
the human remains appear to have been inadvertently discovered. In 
1931, the human remains and associated funerary objects were donated to 
the Grand Rapids Public Museum by the Grand Rapids Police Department. 
No known individual was identified. The two associated funerary objects 
are a shell gorget and marine shell.
    In 1965, human remains representing a minimum of seven individuals 
were removed from the Esler Site (20KT156), Kent County, MI. The human 
remains and associated funerary objects were inadvertently discovered 
during a construction project and subsequently excavated by the Grand 
Rapids Public Museum. No known individuals were identified. The 67 
associated funerary objects are 1 lot of fire cracked rock, 1 lot of 
angular debris, 1 awl, 1 lot of flakes, 1 ground stone, 1 lot of 
projectile points, 1 lot of shell fragments, 1 lot of animal bone, 1 
animal bone fragment, 3 lots of historic pottery shards, 13 historic 
bottles, 3 historic bottle bases, 2 lots of bottle fragments, 3 bottle 
necks, 1 lot of brick, 14 lots of glass fragments, 1 lot of historic 
ceramic handles, 1 hinge, 1 historic hook, 2 historic jars, 1 lot of 
nails, 1 reflector fragment, 9 lots of rim shards, 1 shell, 1 stoneware 
fragment, and 1 teacup.
    In 1956, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were removed from the farm of August Knopf, Montcalm County, MI, by two 
hunters who observed the remains eroding from a sandy bank. The human 
remains and associated funerary objects were donated by the landowner, 
Mr. August Knopf, to the Wright L. Coffinberry chapter of the Michigan 
Archaeological Society. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick acquired the 
human remains and associated funerary objects from the Michigan 
Archaeological Society. In 1974, Ruth Herrick donated the human remains 
and associated funerary objects to the museum by bequest. No known 
individual was identified. The 11 associated funerary objects are 1 lot 
of woven fiber fragments, 1 lot of shell beads, 1 lot of copper hair 
pipes, 1 lot of copper hair pipe fragments, 1 lot of bark and wood 
fragments, 1 lot of organic fiber and sand, 1 lot of wood fragments, 1 
lot of sand, 2 lots of sand with bone fragments, and 1 lot of organic 
blanket fragments.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of five 
individuals were removed from an unknown site in Montcalm County, MI. 
At an unknown date, C.R. Sligh acquired the human remains. In 1893, the 
human remains were purchased by the museum from C.R. Sligh. No known 
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present.
    At an unknown date, a human remain representing a minimum of one 
individual was removed from an unknown site, possibly in Montcalm 
County, MI. At an unknown date, C.R. Sligh acquired the human remain. 
In 1893, the human remain was purchased by the museum from C.R. Sligh. 
The human remain is described as ``Skull of Moundbuilder'' in early 
museum records and was given the accession number 30185. While there is 
no documented provenience in early museum records, museum documentation 
indicates that the human remains described above from Montcalm County, 
MI, were acquired

[[Page 36675]]

from the donor in the same accession. The collecting history of the 
donor and the accession of the skull together with the accession of 
human remains from Montcalm County indicate that, more likely than not, 
the skull was removed from Montcalm County, MI. No known individual was 
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    In 1942, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals 
were removed from the Lamont area, Ottawa County, MI, by Mr. A.E. 
Bonner. Museum documentation indicates the remains were inadvertently 
discovered during excavation of a basement. In 1942, Mr. A.E. Bonner 
gifted the remains to Ruth Herrick. In 1974, the museum acquired the 
human remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individuals 
were identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    In 1969, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were removed from a burial at the Paggeot Site (20OT89), Ottawa County, 
MI, by the Grand Rapids Public Museum and Grand Valley State 
University. The Grand Rapids Public Museum and Grand Valley State 
University collaboratively excavated the burial, which was eroding from 
the banks of the Grand River. No known individual was identified. The 
13 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of flint angular debris, 5 
lots of prehistoric body pottery shards, 1 pottery vessel, 1 pottery 
vessel cast, 1 lot of prehistoric pottery fragments, 1 lot of 
prehistoric rim fragments, 1 lot of sand, and 2 lots of shell.
    In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of seven individuals 
were removed from Scott Mounds (20SJ2), St. Joseph County, MI. At an 
unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and artifacts. In 
1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary 
objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were 
identified. The 20 associated funerary objects are 1 lot of copper 
nuggets, 1 spear point, 2 bone fragments, 2 drills, 2 flakes, 3 knives, 
2 scrapers, 1 lot of mica, 1 shell, 1 lot of turtle shell fragments, 1 
pottery shard, 2 lots of red ochre, and 1 lot of fabric.
    In 1879, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals 
were removed from Marantette Mounds (20SJ1), St. Joseph County, MI. At 
an unknown date, E.H. Crane acquired the human remains and artifacts. 
In 1917, the museum purchased the human remains and associated funerary 
objects from the E.H. Crane estate. No known individuals were 
identified. The 11 associated funerary objects are 1 scraper, 1 lot of 
mica fragments, 1 projectile point, 1 spear point, 3 awl fragments, 1 
animal canine, 1 drilled bear tooth, and 2 animal mandibles.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from an unknown site in Wayne County, MI. 
Museum documentation indicates the remains came from an ``Indian 
Village site'' in Wayne County. At an unknown date, Ruth Herrick 
acquired the human remains. In 1974, the museum acquired the human 
remains from Ruth Herrick through a bequest. No known individual was 
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    Officials of the Public Museum of West Michigan have determined 
that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains described above 
represent the physical remains of 104 individuals of Native American 
ancestry. Officials of the Public Museum of West Michigan have 
determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(3)(A), the 796 items 
described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or 
near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of 
a death rite or ceremony and are believed, by a preponderance of the 
evidence, to have been removed from a specific burial site of a Native 
American individual. Lastly, officials of the Public Museum of West 
Michigan have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(2), a 
relationship of shared group identity cannot reasonably be traced 
between the Native American human remains and associated funerary 
objects and any present-day Indian tribe.
    The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Review 
Committee (Review Committee) is responsible for recommending specific 
actions for disposition of culturally unidentifiable human remains. On 
July 29, 2009, the Public Museum of West Michigan requested that the 
Review Committee recommend disposition of the culturally unidentifiable 
human remains and associated funerary objects to the Bay Mills Indian 
Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux 
Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River 
Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa 
Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians 
of Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; 
Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; 
and Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan, as well as 
the Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians, a non-federally recognized 
tribe, because the human remains and associated funerary objects were 
found within their aboriginal territory. The Review Committee 
considered the proposal at its October 30-31, 2009, meeting and 
recommended disposition of the human remains and associated funerary 
objects to the Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Grand River Band 
of Ottawa Indians, a non-federally recognized Indian group; Keweenaw 
Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior 
Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, 
Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan; Match-
e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan; Pokagon 
Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; Saginaw Chippewa 
Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; and Sault Ste. 
Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan.
    The Secretary of the Interior concurred with the Review Committee's 
recommendation. A March 25, 2010, letter from the Designated Federal 
Official, writing on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior, 
transmitted the authorization for the museum to effect disposition of 
the physical remains of the culturally unidentifiable individuals to 
the Indian tribes listed above contingent on the publication of a 
Notice of Inventory Completion in the Federal Register. This notice 
fulfills that requirement. In the same letter, the Secretary 
recommended the transfer of the associated funerary objects to the 
Indian tribes listed above to the extent allowed by Federal, state, or 
local law.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that wishes to claim 
ownership or control of the human remains and associated funerary 
objects should contact Marilyn Merdzinski, Director of Collections and 
Preservation, Public Museum, 272 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504, 
telephone (616) 929-1801, before July 28, 2010. Disposition of the 
human remains and associated funerary objects to the Bay Mills Indian 
Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux 
Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River 
Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa 
Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians 
of Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan and Indiana; 
Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; 
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan; and the Grand 
River Band of Ottawa Indians, a

[[Page 36676]]

non-federally recognized Indian group, may proceed after that date if 
no additional claimants come forward.
    The Public Museum of West Michigan is responsible for notifying the 
Bay Mills Indian Community, Michigan; Citizen Potawatomi Nation, 
Oklahoma; Forest County Potawatomi Community, Wisconsin; Grand Traverse 
Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Hannahville Indian 
Community, Michigan; Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan; Lac Vieux 
Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River 
Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa 
Indians, Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians 
of Michigan; Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi, Michigan; 
Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, Michigan 
and Indiana; Prairie Band of Potawatomi Nation, Kansas; Red Lake Band 
of Chippewa Indians, Minnesota; Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of 
Michigan; Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma; Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of 
Chippewa Indians of Michigan; and the following non-federally 
recognized Indian groups: Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians and the 
Burt Lake Band of Ottawa & Chippewa, that this notice has been 
published.

    Dated: June 22, 2010
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 2010-15576 Filed 6-25-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S