Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, 71674-71675 [E8-28005]

Download as PDF jlentini on PROD1PC65 with NOTICES 71674 Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 228 / Tuesday, November 25, 2008 / Notices Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3005, of the intent to repatriate cultural items in the possession of the Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University, New Haven, CT, that meet the definition of ‘‘unassociated funerary objects’’ under 25 U.S.C. 3001. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the cultural items. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. The cultural items are two shell beads described as ‘‘burial wampum.’’ In 1913, the Peabody Museum of Natural History received two shell beads described as ‘‘Two pieces of Wampum. Indian. From a grave in Cayuga County, New York.’’ The cultural items were donated to the museum by Robert W. Curtis of Stratford, CT. Cayuga County, NY, is in the traditional territory of the Onondaga Nation. No other documentation about the cultural items exists in the museum’s records. Based on the geographic origin of the beads, the catalog description of the items as burial associations, and consultation with representatives of the Onondaga Nation of New York, the cultural items were determined to be unassociated funerary objects and culturally affiliated to the Onondaga Nation of New York. Officials of the Peabody Museum of Natural History have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(B), the two cultural items described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of the death rite or ceremony and are believed, by a preponderance of the evidence, to have been removed from a specific burial site of a Native American individual. Officials of the Peabody Museum of Natural History also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the unassociated funerary objects and the Onondaga Nation of New York. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the unassociated funerary objects should contact the Director, Peabody Museum of Natural History, P.O. Box 208118, 170 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06520–8118, telephone (203) 432–3753, before December 26, VerDate Aug<31>2005 17:01 Nov 24, 2008 Jkt 217001 2008. Repatriation of the unassociated funerary objects to the Onondaga Nation of New York may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Peabody Museum of Natural History is responsible for notifying the Onondaga Nation of New York that this notice has been published. Dated: October 28, 2008 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. E8–28038 Filed 11–24–08; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4318–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Intent to Repatriate Cultural Items: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Coronado National Forest, Tucson, AZ and Arizona State Museum, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ; Correction National Park Service, Interior. Notice; correction. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3005, of the intent to repatriate cultural items in the possession of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Coronado National Forest, Tucson, AZ, and in the possession of the Arizona State Museum, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, that meet the definition of ‘‘objects of cultural patrimony’’ under 25 U.S.C. 3001. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. This notice corrects the number of cultural items with the addition of one object of cultural patrimony, which was found in Arizona State Museum’s collection after the publication of a Notice of Intent to Repatriate in the Federal Register on November 20, 2007 (FR Doc E7–22671, Page 65354). In the Federal Register of November 20, 2007, the notice is corrected by substituting the following for paragraph 3: The 59 cultural items are part of an archeological collection known as the Pinaleno Cotton Cache. The 59 cultural PO 00000 Frm 00075 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 items are 2 caches of raw, native cotton, 3 ceramic jars, 3 ceramic bowls, 2 coiled basketry bowls, 1 coiled basketry pot stand, and 48 botanical and faunal items. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the objects of cultural patrimony should contact Dr. Frank E. Wozniak, NAGPRA Coordinator, Southwestern Region, USDA Forest Service, 333 Broadway Blvd., SE, Albuquerque, NM 87102, telephone (505) 842–3238, before December 26, 2008. Repatriation of the objects of cultural patrimony to the Tohono O’odham Nation of Arizona may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The Coronado National Forest is responsible for notifying the Ak Chin Indian Community of the Maricopa (Ak Chin) Indian Reservation, Arizona; Gila River Indian Community of the Gila River Indian Reservation, Arizona; Hopi Tribe of Arizona; Salt River PimaMaricopa Indian Community of the Salt River Reservation; and the Tohono O’odham Nation of Arizona that this notice has been published. Dated: October 31, 2008 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. E8–28040 Filed 11–24–08; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains for which the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, and U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR, have joint responsibility. The human remains were removed from an undetermined location in Benton County, OR, during an Army Corps of Engineers-sponsored development project. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative E:\FR\FM\25NON1.SGM 25NON1 jlentini on PROD1PC65 with NOTICES Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 228 / Tuesday, November 25, 2008 / Notices responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. In 1951, human remains representing a minimum of eight individuals were removed from an undetermined location in Benton County, OR, by the Army Corps of Engineers during construction of a levee near the Willamette River. The location, referred to as ‘‘Fir Grove,’’ was situated somewhere between Albany and Corvallis, OR. Following their removal from the area, the human remains were transferred to the University of Oregon for preservation. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Museum accession notes indicate that stone tools and cultural objects were found in association with the human remains, but none of the cultural items were transferred to the University of Oregon Museum. Based on distinctive osteological evidence and the documented association of the human remains with the observed artifacts, the individuals have been determined to be Native American. Ethnographic records suggest the area between present-day Albany and Corvallis, OR, was occupied by Kalapuya bands during the early Contact Period. The human remains described above are believed to have been removed from an area within or near the traditional lands of the Kalapuyan peoples whose descendants are members of the present-day Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon include at least 26 tribes and bands whose ancestral homelands span western Oregon, southwestern Washington and northern California. The Grand Ronde tribes and bands include the Rogue River, Umpqua, Chasta, Kalapuya, Molala, Clackamas, Salmon River, Tillamook, and Nestucca, as well as other, smaller groups. At the time of contact, the individual groups spoke 30 VerDate Aug<31>2005 17:01 Nov 24, 2008 Jkt 217001 dialects of the Athapascan, Chinookan, Kalapuyan, Takelman, Molalan, Sahaptin, Salishan, and Shastan language families. In 1856–1857, the U.S. Government forcibly relocated the Grand Ronde peoples to the Grand Ronde Reservation, located at the headwaters of the South Yamhill River in Yamhill and Polk Counties, OR. The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon were first incorporated in 1935, terminated from Federal recognition in 1954, and restored to recognized status in 1983. The Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon, are a confederation of 30 bands whose ancestral territory ranged along the entire Oregon coast and Coast Range, inland to the main divide of the Cascade Range and southward to the Rogue River watershed. The principal tribes include the Clatsop, Chinook, Klickitat, Molala, Kalapuya, Tillamook, Alsea, Siuslaw/ Lower Umpqua, Coos, Coquille, Upper Umpqua, Tututni, Chetco, Tolowa, Takelma or Upper Rogue River, Galice/ Applegate, and Shasta. The ancestors of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation spoke at least 10 different base languages, many of which had strong dialectic divisions even within the same language. In general, five linguistic stocks – Salish, Yakonan, Kusan, Takelman, and Athapascan – are represented by the tribes. The tribes were forcibly removed from their homelands in 1855 by the U.S. Government and placed on the Siletz and Grand Ronde reservations. After having their tribal status terminated from Federal recognition in 1954, the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon were officially restored to recognized status in 1977. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9–10), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of at least eight individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District have also determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Daniel Mulligan, NAGPRA Coordinator, Environmental Resources Branch, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, P.O. Box PO 00000 Frm 00076 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 71675 2946, Portland, OR 97208–2946, telephone (503) 808–4768, before December 26, 2008. Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon, may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District is responsible for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon that this notice has been published. Dated: October 30, 2008 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. E8–28005 Filed 11–24–08; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center, Anchorage, AK National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains in the possession of the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center, Anchorage, AK. The human remains were removed from near Point Hope and Point Barrow, AK. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center professional staff. Consultations with representatives from the Village of Anaktuvuk Pass; Arctic Slope Regional Corporation; Atqasuk Village (Atkasook); Native Village of Barrow Inupiat Traditional Government; Kaktovik Village; Native Village of Nuiqsut; Native Village of Point Hope; Native Village of Point Lay; and Village of Wainwright have yet to occur. On an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of two E:\FR\FM\25NON1.SGM 25NON1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 73, Number 228 (Tuesday, November 25, 2008)]
[Notices]
[Pages 71674-71675]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: E8-28005]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service


Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army 
Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of 
Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains for which the University of 
Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, and U.S. 
Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, 
Portland, OR, have joint responsibility. The human remains were removed 
from an undetermined location in Benton County, OR, during an Army 
Corps of Engineers-sponsored development project.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative

[[Page 71675]]

responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The 
determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible 
for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the 
University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History and U.S. 
Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District professional staff in 
consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the 
Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz 
Reservation, Oregon.
    In 1951, human remains representing a minimum of eight individuals 
were removed from an undetermined location in Benton County, OR, by the 
Army Corps of Engineers during construction of a levee near the 
Willamette River. The location, referred to as ``Fir Grove,'' was 
situated somewhere between Albany and Corvallis, OR. Following their 
removal from the area, the human remains were transferred to the 
University of Oregon for preservation. No known individuals were 
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    Museum accession notes indicate that stone tools and cultural 
objects were found in association with the human remains, but none of 
the cultural items were transferred to the University of Oregon Museum. 
Based on distinctive osteological evidence and the documented 
association of the human remains with the observed artifacts, the 
individuals have been determined to be Native American.
    Ethnographic records suggest the area between present-day Albany 
and Corvallis, OR, was occupied by Kalapuya bands during the early 
Contact Period. The human remains described above are believed to have 
been removed from an area within or near the traditional lands of the 
Kalapuyan peoples whose descendants are members of the present-day 
Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and 
Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon.
    The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon 
include at least 26 tribes and bands whose ancestral homelands span 
western Oregon, southwestern Washington and northern California. The 
Grand Ronde tribes and bands include the Rogue River, Umpqua, Chasta, 
Kalapuya, Molala, Clackamas, Salmon River, Tillamook, and Nestucca, as 
well as other, smaller groups. At the time of contact, the individual 
groups spoke 30 dialects of the Athapascan, Chinookan, Kalapuyan, 
Takelman, Molalan, Sahaptin, Salishan, and Shastan language families. 
In 1856-1857, the U.S. Government forcibly relocated the Grand Ronde 
peoples to the Grand Ronde Reservation, located at the headwaters of 
the South Yamhill River in Yamhill and Polk Counties, OR. The 
Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon were first 
incorporated in 1935, terminated from Federal recognition in 1954, and 
restored to recognized status in 1983.
    The Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon, are a 
confederation of 30 bands whose ancestral territory ranged along the 
entire Oregon coast and Coast Range, inland to the main divide of the 
Cascade Range and southward to the Rogue River watershed. The principal 
tribes include the Clatsop, Chinook, Klickitat, Molala, Kalapuya, 
Tillamook, Alsea, Siuslaw/Lower Umpqua, Coos, Coquille, Upper Umpqua, 
Tututni, Chetco, Tolowa, Takelma or Upper Rogue River, Galice/
Applegate, and Shasta. The ancestors of the Confederated Tribes of the 
Siletz Reservation spoke at least 10 different base languages, many of 
which had strong dialectic divisions even within the same language. In 
general, five linguistic stocks - Salish, Yakonan, Kusan, Takelman, and 
Athapascan - are represented by the tribes. The tribes were forcibly 
removed from their homelands in 1855 by the U.S. Government and placed 
on the Siletz and Grand Ronde reservations. After having their tribal 
status terminated from Federal recognition in 1954, the Confederated 
Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon were officially restored to 
recognized status in 1977.
    Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District 
have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human 
remains described above represent the physical remains of at least 
eight individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the U.S. 
Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District have also determined that, 
pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group 
identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American 
human remains and the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community 
of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Daniel 
Mulligan, NAGPRA Coordinator, Environmental Resources Branch, U.S. Army 
Corps of Engineers, Portland District, P.O. Box 2946, Portland, OR 
97208-2946, telephone (503) 808-4768, before December 26, 2008. 
Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the 
Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes of the 
Siletz Reservation, Oregon, may proceed after that date if no 
additional claimants come forward.
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District is responsible 
for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of 
Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon that 
this notice has been published.

    Dated: October 30, 2008
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. E8-28005 Filed 11-24-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S