Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, 62530-62531 [E8-24966]

Download as PDF mstockstill on PROD1PC66 with NOTICES 62530 Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 204 / Tuesday, October 21, 2008 / Notices Site 35–WS–5 is located on the south shore of the Columbia River, approximately 2 miles east of The Dalles Dam. The site is described as a permanent Wasco village that was occupied prior to A.D. 1800. The site was inundated by Lake Celilo after the construction of The Dalles Lock and Dam. The burial pattern observed within the site is consistent with customs of Columbia Plateau Native American groups. Ethnographic and museum records indicate that the cultural items are consistent with cultural objects typically found in context with burials characteristic of the Mid-Columbia River Basin. Site 35–WS–5 is located within the traditional lands of the present-day Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, which is composed of three Wasco bands, four Warm Springs bands and Northern Paiutes. The Columbia River-based Wasco were the easternmost group of Chinookan-speaking Indians. The Sahaptin-speaking Warm Springs bands lived farther east along the Columbia River and its tributaries. Northern Paiutes, who spoke a Uto-Aztecan language, historically occupied much of southeastern Oregon. The Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon peoples also traditionally shared the site area with relatives and neighbors whose descendants may be culturally affiliated with the 14 Sahaptin, Salish and Chinookanspeaking tribes and bands of the present-day Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Yakama homelands were traditionally located on the Washington side of the Columbia River between the eastern flanks of the Cascade Range and the lower reaches of the Yakima River drainage. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(B), the seven cultural items described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of the death rite or ceremony and are believed, by preponderance of the evidence, to have been removed from a specific burial site of a Native American individual. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the unassociated funerary objects and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and/or VerDate Aug<31>2005 17:06 Oct 20, 2008 Jkt 217001 Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the unassociated funerary objects should contact Daniel Mulligan, NAGPRA Coordinator, Environmental Resources Branch, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, P.O. Box 2946, Portland, OR 97208–2946, telephone (503) 808–4768, before November 20, 2008. Repatriation of the unassociated funerary objects to the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District is responsible for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington that this notice has been published. Dated: September 10, 2008. Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. E8–24973 Filed 10–20–08; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains for which the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, and U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR, have joint responsibility. The human remains were removed from property that would be later designated Army Corps of Engineers land within the Bonneville Lock and Dam Project area, Wasco County, OR. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal PO 00000 Frm 00070 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 agency that has control of the Native American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon, Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Native American cultural items described in this notice were originally removed from public domain land (prior to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers acquisition of the property) by three private collectors and later donated to the University of Oregon. At an unknown date during the 1890s, human remains representing one individual were removed from Lower Memaloose Island, Columbia River, Wasco County, OR, by a private collector whose name is withheld, and donated to the University of Oregon in 1938. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Although historic period artifacts were originally found in direct association with the human remains, none were donated to the University of Oregon. At an unknown date, human remains representing one individual were removed from Lower Memaloose Island, Columbia River, Wasco County, OR, by a private collector whose name is withheld, and donated to the University of Oregon in 1950. No known individual was identified. No information has been found concerning possible burial associations. No associated funerary objects are present. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from an unspecified ‘‘sand island in the Columbia River near The Dalles, OR’’ or Lower Memaloose Island, Columbia River, Wasco County, OR, by an unidentified University of Oregon student, and donated to the University of Oregon in 1913. No known individuals were identified. No information has been found concerning possible burial associations. No associated funerary objects are present. Lower Memaloose Island is located in the center of the Bonneville Dam Reservoir (Lake Bonneville), approximately 3 river miles west of the city of Lyle, WA, and 8 miles east of Hood River, OR. The island was longused by local Native American peoples E:\FR\FM\21OCN1.SGM 21OCN1 mstockstill on PROD1PC66 with NOTICES Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 204 / Tuesday, October 21, 2008 / Notices as a cemetery. Based on physical characteristics, osteological evidence, and the location of the human remains on the island, all five individuals have been determined to be Native American. Lower Memaloose Island is within the traditional territory of Chinookan- and Sahaptin-speaking groups represented by the present-day Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Per the 1855 Treaty with the Tribes of Middle Oregon, the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon signers were comprised of three Chinookanspeaking Wasco bands and four Sahaptin-speaking Warm Springs bands. The Uto-Aztecan-speaking Northern Paiutes, also part of the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, joined the confederation in the 1870s. The Wasco and Warm Springs bands traditionally occupied the south shore of the Columbia River and its tributaries from Cascade Locks to just east of the present-day city of Arlington, OR. The 14 Sahaptin, Salish, and Chinookan-speaking tribes and bands of the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington, traditionally lived on the Washington side of the Columbia River between the eastern flanks of the Cascade Range and the lower reaches of the Yakima River drainage. Representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde Community of Oregon, whose membership also includes Chinookan-speakers, have indicated that Lower Memaloose Island is outside of their pre-Contact territory. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9–10), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of five individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Daniel Mulligan, NAGPRA Coordinator, Environmental Resources Branch, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, P.O. Box 2946, Portland, OR 97208–2946, telephone (503) 808–4768, before VerDate Aug<31>2005 17:06 Oct 20, 2008 Jkt 217001 November 20, 2008. Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District is responsible for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon, Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington that this notice has been published. Dated: September 10, 2008. Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. E8–24966 Filed 10–20–08; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary objects for which the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, and U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR, have joint responsibility. The human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from sites on Army Corps of Engineers land within the The Dalles Lock and Dam Project area, Wasco County, OR. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural PO 00000 Frm 00071 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 62531 History and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Native American cultural items described in this notice were excavated under Antiquities Act permits by the University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, on Army Corps of Engineers project lands. Following excavations at the sites described below, and under the provisions of the permits, the University of Oregon was allowed to retain the collections for preservation. In 1956, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals were removed from site 35–WS–1/WS–2, also known as the Big Eddy Site, Wasco County, OR, during excavations conducted by the University of Oregon prior to construction of The Dalles Dam. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Site 35–WS–1/WS–2 is located 5 miles east of the city of The Dalles, OR, on the south shore of the Columbia River. The site is described as a Wasco village and midden site dating from the Late Prehistoric through Historic periods. Based on the location of the human remains within the site, the individuals have been determined to be Native American. In 1954, human remains representing a minimum of eight individuals were removed from the Five Mile Rapids Site (35–WS–4), on the south shore of the Columbia River within The Dalles Lock and Dam Project area, Wasco County, OR, by the University of Oregon in conjunction with studies undertaken prior to the construction of The Dalles Dam. No known individuals were identified. The 515 associated funerary objects are 1 knife blade; 2 knives with wooden handles; 1 knife with a bone handle; 1 knife with a copper handle; 1 adze blade; 1 iron hatchet head; 1 projectile point fragment; 2 sturgeon hooks; 2 eyelets with springs; 2 composite harpoons; 1 fish scaler; 1 copper handle fragment; 10 decorated copper disks; 3 undecorated copper disks; 36 copper buttons; 1 phoenix button; 1 ring around a bear claw; 371 glass beads; 1 shell bead; 30 dentalium beads; 1 fragmentary copper tube bead; 3 stone beads; 1 bone bead; 1 lot of assorted beads, nails, and glass specimens; 1 reed fragment; 9 elk tooth ornaments; 7 complete and fragmentary dentalium shells; 3 carved bone fragments; 1 steatite cup; 1 steatite pipe; 1 Northwest Company token; 2 red E:\FR\FM\21OCN1.SGM 21OCN1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 73, Number 204 (Tuesday, October 21, 2008)]
[Notices]
[Pages 62530-62531]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: E8-24966]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service


Notice of Inventory Completion: U.S. Department of Defense, Army 
Corps of Engineers, Portland District, Portland, OR and University of 
Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains for which the University of 
Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, Eugene, OR, and U.S. 
Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District, 
Portland, OR, have joint responsibility. The human remains were removed 
from property that would be later designated Army Corps of Engineers 
land within the Bonneville Lock and Dam Project area, Wasco County, OR.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). 
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible 
for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the 
University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History and U.S. 
Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District professional staff in 
consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the 
Grand Ronde Community of Oregon, Confederated Tribes of the Warm 
Springs Reservation of Oregon, and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the 
Yakama Nation, Washington.
    Native American cultural items described in this notice were 
originally removed from public domain land (prior to U.S. Army Corps of 
Engineers acquisition of the property) by three private collectors and 
later donated to the University of Oregon.
    At an unknown date during the 1890s, human remains representing one 
individual were removed from Lower Memaloose Island, Columbia River, 
Wasco County, OR, by a private collector whose name is withheld, and 
donated to the University of Oregon in 1938. No known individual was 
identified. No associated funerary objects are present. Although 
historic period artifacts were originally found in direct association 
with the human remains, none were donated to the University of Oregon.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing one individual were 
removed from Lower Memaloose Island, Columbia River, Wasco County, OR, 
by a private collector whose name is withheld, and donated to the 
University of Oregon in 1950. No known individual was identified. No 
information has been found concerning possible burial associations. No 
associated funerary objects are present.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of three 
individuals were removed from an unspecified ``sand island in the 
Columbia River near The Dalles, OR'' or Lower Memaloose Island, 
Columbia River, Wasco County, OR, by an unidentified University of 
Oregon student, and donated to the University of Oregon in 1913. No 
known individuals were identified. No information has been found 
concerning possible burial associations. No associated funerary objects 
are present.
    Lower Memaloose Island is located in the center of the Bonneville 
Dam Reservoir (Lake Bonneville), approximately 3 river miles west of 
the city of Lyle, WA, and 8 miles east of Hood River, OR. The island 
was long-used by local Native American peoples

[[Page 62531]]

as a cemetery. Based on physical characteristics, osteological 
evidence, and the location of the human remains on the island, all five 
individuals have been determined to be Native American.
    Lower Memaloose Island is within the traditional territory of 
Chinookan- and Sahaptin-speaking groups represented by the present-day 
Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and 
Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington. Per the 
1855 Treaty with the Tribes of Middle Oregon, the Confederated Tribes 
of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon signers were comprised of 
three Chinookan-speaking Wasco bands and four Sahaptin-speaking Warm 
Springs bands. The Uto-Aztecan-speaking Northern Paiutes, also part of 
the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, 
joined the confederation in the 1870s. The Wasco and Warm Springs bands 
traditionally occupied the south shore of the Columbia River and its 
tributaries from Cascade Locks to just east of the present-day city of 
Arlington, OR. The 14 Sahaptin, Salish, and Chinookan-speaking tribes 
and bands of the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, 
Washington, traditionally lived on the Washington side of the Columbia 
River between the eastern flanks of the Cascade Range and the lower 
reaches of the Yakima River drainage. Representatives of the 
Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde Community of Oregon, whose 
membership also includes Chinookan-speakers, have indicated that Lower 
Memaloose Island is outside of their pre-Contact territory.
    Officials of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District 
have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human 
remains described above represent the physical remains of five 
individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the U.S. Army 
Corps of Engineers, Portland District also have determined that, 
pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group 
identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American 
human remains and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs 
Reservation of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes and Bands of the 
Yakama Nation, Washington.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Daniel 
Mulligan, NAGPRA Coordinator, Environmental Resources Branch, U.S. Army 
Corps of Engineers, Portland District, P.O. Box 2946, Portland, OR 
97208-2946, telephone (503) 808-4768, before November 20, 2008. 
Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the 
Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon and/or Confederated Tribes and Bands 
of the Yakama Nation, Washington may proceed after that date if no 
additional claimants come forward.
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District is responsible 
for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of 
Oregon, Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, 
and Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Washington that 
this notice has been published.

    Dated: September 10, 2008.
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. E8-24966 Filed 10-20-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S