Notice of Inventory Completion: Horner Collection, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 61839-61840 [05-21332]

Download as PDF Federal Register / Vol. 70, No. 206 / Wednesday, October 26, 2005 / Notices museum records state that Dr. Hill was known to have collected human remains and cultural items from burials and mounds. Based on consultation and museum records, the Horner Collection, Oregon State University finds that the intent was to maintain the spiritual connection between owner and object through the burial of this cultural item with its owner and has therefore identified the cultural item as an unassociated funerary object. At an unknown date, one trinket basket and one wallet basket were removed from an unknown location by Mr. W.C. Dyer. In 1934, Mrs. S.C. Dyer, the wife of Mr. Dyer, donated the trinket basket and wallet basket to the museum. The Horner Collection, Oregon State University has no evidence the trinket and wallet baskts were ever buried with any individual. However, museum records state that Mr. Dyer was known to have collected human remains and cultural items from burials and mounds. Based on consultation and museum records, the Horner Collection, Oregon State University has identified the cultural items as unassociated funerary objects. According to museum records, both the trinket and wallet baskets are Clatsop in origin. Any direct Clatsop descendant who meets the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon enrollment criteria is eligible for membership in the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. The Clatsop are ancestors of the present-day Chinook Tribe. The Chinook Tribe has cultural and political ties to the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. The Chinook Tribe is a confederated member of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(B), the five cultural items described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of the death rite or ceremony and are believed, by a preponderance of the evidence, to have been removed from specific burial sites of Native American individuals. Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the five unassociated funerary objects and the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally VerDate Aug<31>2005 16:26 Oct 25, 2005 Jkt 208001 affiliated with the unassociated funerary objects should contact Sabah Randhawa, Executive Vice President and Provost, President’s Office, Oregon State University, 600 Kerr Administration Building, Corvallis, OR 97331, telephone (541) 737–8260, before November 25, 2005. Repatriation of the unassociated funerary objects to the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. Horner Collection, Oregon State University is responsible for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon; Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon; Karuk Tribe of California; Quinault Tribe of the Quinault Reservation, Washington; and Shoalwater Bay Tribe of the Shoalwater Bay Indian Reservation, Washington that this notice has been published. Dated:September 28, 2005 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 05–21329 Filed 10–25–05; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4312–50–S DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR National Park Service Notice of Inventory Completion: Horner Collection, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR National Park Service, Interior. Notice. AGENCY: ACTION: Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the completion of an inventory of human remains in the possession of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. The human remains were removed from Curry and Lincoln Counties, OR. This notice is published as part of the National Park Service’s administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice. A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by Horner Collection, Oregon State University professional staff in consultation with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon and the Coquille Tribe of Oregon. PO 00000 Frm 00063 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 61839 The Museum of Oregon Country, Oregon Agricultural College was renamed the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon Country in 1936, and became commonly known as the Horner Museum. The Oregon Agricultural College was renamed the Oregon State College in 1937, and became Oregon State University in 1962. The Horner Museum closed in 1995. Currently, cultural items from the Horner Museum are referred to as the Horner Collection, which is owned by, and in the possession of, Oregon State University. At an unknown time, human remains representing a minimum of one individual were removed from an unknown site near Yachats in Lincoln County, OR. In 1968, the human remains were donated by Mrs. P. Mitchell to the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon Country. Mrs. Mitchell told museum staff that the human remains were found near Yachats. It is unknown if the human remains were removed by Mrs. Mitchell. No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present. The human remains have been identified as Native American dating to precontact times based on typical tooth wear. Historical documents, ethnographic sources, and oral history indicate that many of the tribes that are members of the present-day Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon have occupied these areas since precontact times, including the Alsea/Siuslaw tribe. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe represents the Alsea, Lower Umpqua, Siuslaw, Yachats, and Yaquina Native American groups. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe was a signatory to the Oregon Coast Treaty of 1855. In 1857, the Alsea/Siuslaw were located on the Siuslaw River, Lane County, OR, and their traditional territory extended south to Heceta Head, Lane County, OR (Harris 1858). Yachats is near the border of Lane and Lincoln Counties, OR. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe’s traditional territopry includes both counties. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe is one of the member tribes of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon and by 1875, the Alsea/Siuslaw tribe was residing on the Siletz Reservation. Therefore, the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon have a connection to the area nearYachats that includes both Lane and Lincoln Counties, OR. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe is a distinct and separate tribe, and distinguished from the Alcea band of Tillamooks, which brought a land claim to the Indian Claims Commission in 1955. At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of 16 E:\FR\FM\26OCN1.SGM 26OCN1 61840 Federal Register / Vol. 70, No. 206 / Wednesday, October 26, 2005 / Notices individuals were removed from an unknown site near Pistol River, Curry County, OR. In 1970, Mrs. Dorothy Timeus donated the human remains to the museum. According to Mrs. Timeus, the human remains are Native American and were found in the sand dunes near the Pistol River. It is unknown if the human remains were removed by Mrs. Timeus. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are present. A letter written by Mr. Harmon Timeus, Mrs. Timeus’ son, states, ‘‘I have checked with several authorities concerning the Indian skulls and relics...they are all from the To-To-Tin tribe. There were many smaller groups of this tribe. The Chetl-essen-tans is the specific group which inhabited the land where the relics were found.’’ The authorities cited in the letter are unknown. The tribe mentioned in the letter is most likely the Chet-less-ing-ton Band of Too-too-to-ney tribe, who were located at the eddy of Pistol River in the 1800s. The Chet-less-ing-ton were signatories to the Oregon Coast Treaty of 1855 and by 1857 the Chet-less-ing-ton were residing on the reservation of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon (Harris, 1858). The Chet-less-ing-ton are a subgroup of the Athabaskan/Tututni, which is one of the member tribes of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9–10), the human remains described above represent the physical remains of 17 individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State Unversity also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Sabah Randhawa Executive Vice President and Provost, President’s Office, Oregon State University, 600 Kerr Administration Building, Corvallis, OR 97331, telephone (541) 737–8260, before November 25, 2005. Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come forward. Horner Collection, Oregon State University is responsible for notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz VerDate Aug<31>2005 16:26 Oct 25, 2005 Jkt 208001 Reservation, Oregon and Coquille Tribe of Oregon that this notice has been published. Dated: September 28, 2005 Sherry Hutt, Manager, National NAGPRA Program. [FR Doc. 05–21332 Filed 10–25–05; 8:45 am] from the People’s Republic of China is being imported into the United States in such increased quantities or under such conditions as to cause or threaten to cause market disruption to the domestic producers of like or directly competitive products.3 (70 FR 58746, October 7, 2005). BILLING CODE 4312–50–S INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION [Investigation No. TA–421–6] Circular Welded Non-Alloy Steel Pipe From China Determination On the basis of information developed in the subject investigation, the United States International Trade Commission determines, pursuant to section 421(b)(1) of the Trade Act of 1974,1 that circular welded non-alloy steel pipe 2 1 19 U.S.C. 2451(b)(1). products subject to this investigation include certain welded carbon quality steel pipes and tubes, of circular cross-section, with an outside diameter of 0.372 inches (9.45 mm) or more, but not more than 16 inches (406.4 mm), regardless of wall thickness, surface finish (black, galvanized, or painted), end finish (plain end, beveled end, grooved, threaded, or threaded and coupled), or industry specification (ASTM, proprietary, or other), generally known as standard pipe and structural pipe (they may also be referred to as structural or mechanical tubing). The term carbon quality steel may include certain low alloy steel imported as other alloy steel pipes and tubes. All pipe meeting the physical description set forth above that is used in, or intended for use in, standard and structural pipe applications is covered by the scope of this investigation. Standard pipe applications include the low-pressure conveyance of water, steam, natural gas, air and other liquids and gases in plumbing and heating systems, air conditioning units, automatic sprinkler systems, and other related uses. Standard pipe may also be used for light load-bearing and mechanical applications, such as for fence tubing, and as an intermediate product for protection of electrical wiring, such as conduit shells. Structural pipe is used in construction applications. Products not included in this investigation are mechanical tubing (whether or not cold-drawn) provided for in HTS subheading 7306.30.50, tube and pipe hollows for redrawing provided for in HTS 7306.30.5035, or finished electrical conduit provided for in HTS 7306.30.5028. API line pipe used in oil or gas applications requiring API certifications is also not included in this investigation. Similarly, pipe produced to the API specifications for oil country tubular goods use are not included in this investigation. The subject imported products are currently provided for in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS) subheadings 7306.30.10 and 7306.30.50. Specifically, the various HTS statistical reporting numbers under which the subject standard pipe has been provided for since January 1, 1992, are as follows: 7306.30.1000, 7306.30.5025, 7306.30.5032, 7306.30.5040, 7306.30.5055, 7306.30.5085, and 7306.30.5090. Although the HTS category is provided for convenience and Customs purposes, the written description of the merchandise under investigation is dispositive. 2 The PO 00000 Frm 00064 Fmt 4703 Sfmt 4703 Recommendations on Proposed Remedies Chairman Stephen Koplan and Commissioner Charlotte R. Lane propose that the President impose an annual quota of 160,000 short tons on imports of circular welded non-alloy steel pipe from China for a three-year period. They further recommend that, if applications are filed, the President direct the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of Labor to provide expedited consideration of trade adjustment assistance for firms and/or workers affected by the subject imports. Commissioner Jennifer A. Hillman and Commissioner Shara L. Aranoff propose that the President impose a tariff-rate quota for a period of three years on imports of circular welded non-alloy steel pipe from China as follows: 267,468 short tons in the first year of relief, 280,841 short tons in the second year, and 308,925 short tons in the third year, with subject pipe entered within the quota subject to the current rate of duty of ‘‘Free,’’ and over-quota imports subject to a duty of 25 percent ad valorem. They further recommend that, if applications are filed, the President direct the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of Labor to provide expedited consideration of any petitions for trade adjustment assistance filed by firms or workers affected by the subject imports. Background Following receipt of a petition, on August 2, 2005, on behalf of Allied Tube and Conduit Corp., Harvey, IL; IPSCO Tubulars, Inc., Camanche, IA; Maruichi American Corp., Santa Fe Springs, CA; Maverick Tube Corp., Chesterfield, MO; Pipe multiple-stenciled to the ASTM A–53 specification and to any other specification, such as the API–fL or 5L X–42 specifications, or singlecertified pipe that enters under HTS subheading 7306.10.10, is covered by this investigation when used in, or intended for use in, one of the standard pipe applications listed above, regardless of the HTS category in which it is entered. Pipe shells that enter the United States under HTS subheading 7306.30.50, including HTS statistical reporting number 7306.30.5028, are also covered by this investigation. The investigation also covers pipe used for the production of scaffolding (but does not include finished scaffolding). 3 Vice Chairman Deanna Tanner Okun and Commissioner Daniel R. Pearson make a negative determination. E:\FR\FM\26OCN1.SGM 26OCN1

Agencies

[Federal Register Volume 70, Number 206 (Wednesday, October 26, 2005)]
[Notices]
[Pages 61839-61840]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 05-21332]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service


Notice of Inventory Completion: Horner Collection, Oregon State 
University, Corvallis, OR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains in the possession of the 
Horner Collection, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. The human 
remains were removed from Curry and Lincoln Counties, OR.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). 
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible 
for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by Horner 
Collection, Oregon State University professional staff in consultation 
with representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz 
Reservation, Oregon and the Coquille Tribe of Oregon.
    The Museum of Oregon Country, Oregon Agricultural College was 
renamed the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon Country in 1936, and 
became commonly known as the Horner Museum. The Oregon Agricultural 
College was renamed the Oregon State College in 1937, and became Oregon 
State University in 1962. The Horner Museum closed in 1995. Currently, 
cultural items from the Horner Museum are referred to as the Horner 
Collection, which is owned by, and in the possession of, Oregon State 
University.
    At an unknown time, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from an unknown site near Yachats in Lincoln 
County, OR. In 1968, the human remains were donated by Mrs. P. Mitchell 
to the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon Country. Mrs. Mitchell told 
museum staff that the human remains were found near Yachats. It is 
unknown if the human remains were removed by Mrs. Mitchell. No known 
individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    The human remains have been identified as Native American dating to 
precontact times based on typical tooth wear. Historical documents, 
ethnographic sources, and oral history indicate that many of the tribes 
that are members of the present-day Confederated Tribes of the Siletz 
Reservation, Oregon have occupied these areas since precontact times, 
including the Alsea/Siuslaw tribe. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe represents 
the Alsea, Lower Umpqua, Siuslaw, Yachats, and Yaquina Native American 
groups. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe was a signatory to the Oregon Coast 
Treaty of 1855. In 1857, the Alsea/Siuslaw were located on the Siuslaw 
River, Lane County, OR, and their traditional territory extended south 
to Heceta Head, Lane County, OR (Harris 1858). Yachats is near the 
border of Lane and Lincoln Counties, OR. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe's 
traditional territopry includes both counties. The Alsea/Siuslaw tribe 
is one of the member tribes of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz 
Reservation, Oregon and by 1875, the Alsea/Siuslaw tribe was residing 
on the Siletz Reservation. Therefore, the Confederated Tribes of the 
Siletz Reservation, Oregon have a connection to the area nearYachats 
that includes both Lane and Lincoln Counties, OR. The Alsea/Siuslaw 
tribe is a distinct and separate tribe, and distinguished from the 
Alcea band of Tillamooks, which brought a land claim to the Indian 
Claims Commission in 1955.
    At an unknown date, human remains representing a minimum of 16

[[Page 61840]]

individuals were removed from an unknown site near Pistol River, Curry 
County, OR. In 1970, Mrs. Dorothy Timeus donated the human remains to 
the museum. According to Mrs. Timeus, the human remains are Native 
American and were found in the sand dunes near the Pistol River. It is 
unknown if the human remains were removed by Mrs. Timeus. No known 
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present.
    A letter written by Mr. Harmon Timeus, Mrs. Timeus' son, states, 
``I have checked with several authorities concerning the Indian skulls 
and relics...they are all from the To-To-Tin tribe. There were many 
smaller groups of this tribe. The Chetl-essen-tans is the specific 
group which inhabited the land where the relics were found.'' The 
authorities cited in the letter are unknown. The tribe mentioned in the 
letter is most likely the Chet-less-ing-ton Band of Too-too-to-ney 
tribe, who were located at the eddy of Pistol River in the 1800s. The 
Chet-less-ing-ton were signatories to the Oregon Coast Treaty of 1855 
and by 1857 the Chet-less-ing-ton were residing on the reservation of 
the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon (Harris, 
1858). The Chet-less-ing-ton are a subgroup of the Athabaskan/Tututni, 
which is one of the member tribes of the Confederated Tribes of the 
Siletz Reservation, Oregon.

    Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University have 
determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human remains 
described above represent the physical remains of 17 individuals of 
Native American ancestry. Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon 
State Unversity also have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 
(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be 
reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and the 
Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Sabah 
Randhawa Executive Vice President and Provost, President's Office, 
Oregon State University, 600 Kerr Administration Building, Corvallis, 
OR 97331, telephone (541) 737-8260, before November 25, 2005. 
Repatriation of the human remains to the Confederated Tribes of the 
Siletz Reservation, Oregon may proceed after that date if no additional 
claimants come forward.
    Horner Collection, Oregon State University is responsible for 
notifying the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon and 
Coquille Tribe of Oregon that this notice has been published.

    Dated: September 28, 2005
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 05-21332 Filed 10-25-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S